Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

May 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 49

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

May 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 19 April 2012 at 6:45PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.8K replies 167.9K views

Replies

• NickJWNickJW Forumite
    678 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Thanks MunniMuncha and Florenceem. :D

Can anyone vouch for either of the Toad in the Hole recipes on the front page? I've never done it before, but I have an abundance of sausages in the fridge, so it is something which will be good to have on the meal plan in the near future.
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011 :T
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh my days.....I just made muffins for the first time (I'm 42 so a bit of a late starter.....). I made Ms Lawsons jam doughnut muffins.....they are sooooo delicious. Just like a fresh cooked doughnut nommy nom nom.

They were our pudding - had another of her recipes for dinner - macaroni cheese from her Expre$$ book. I adding chopped bacon - delicious even if I say so myself :D

Went to MrT today and spent £31 of which £5 was the muffin tin and £14 on clothes for DS2 (another budget), rest on food.

Looking forward to trying some other muffin recipes - Florenceem what have you started :rotfl:
    Cross-stitch WIP1: Christmas Pots - Historical Sampler Company

Cross-stitch WIP2: Pretty Little San Francisco - Satsuma Street
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ......... I know Florenceem, but at least I had an edible meal instead of throwing it all in the bin as the yp was flat, oily and rubbish, so for me 8 eggs is a cheaper option:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

What does TITH mean please?:o
    Toad in the Hole.
    What oven temp do you cook YP on - it is having the melted fat hot plus cooking in a 220c oven that makes them rise.
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Coxy11 wrote: »
    Oh my days.....I just made muffins for the first time (I'm 42 so a bit of a late starter.....). I made Ms Lawsons jam doughnut muffins.....they are sooooo delicious. Just like a fresh cooked doughnut nommy nom nom.

They were our pudding - had another of her recipes for dinner - macaroni cheese from her Expre$$ book. I adding chopped bacon - delicious even if I say so myself :D

Went to MrT today and spent £31 of which £5 was the muffin tin and £14 on clothes for DS2 (another budget), rest on food.

Looking forward to trying some other muffin recipes - Florenceem what have you started :rotfl:
    Yeah! :D Getting folks baking! :j
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • abitofhelpabitofhelp Forumite
    483 posts
    Goodness me, i spend one day in the office and not working at home and the thread flys by. Small spend today of £2 for some apples & pears. As a full time working mum my baking day is Sunday afternoon. I also make a pan of soup then. Also have a bread maker which tends to be on every other day. Great device i even use it for pizza dough etc.
    Mrs F i made yorkie puddings last Sunday afternoon & i used two eggs for 8, i have 4 left in the freezer for this sundays lunch. The next time i make them i shall use your one egg recipe. Very cheap Sunday lunch this weekend as the joint we had last week was big enough to slice up and freeze. It will make 4 meals in total. Three roast meals & one cottage pie (bulked out with a few lentils & grated veg) Best wishes to all.
    Grocery Challenge 24th Feb-28 Dec 2012 £2000/£1404
    18th May- 15th June 2012 £100/£75
    Dont Throw Food Away 2012 May £5/0
  • jumblejackjumblejack Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Coxy11 wrote: »

Are the jam doughnuts on page 1? If not please could you post it?

Cheers me dears.

Tea was lovely tonight. Had beef rogan josh and rice. As I had brought plain flour with me, I also whipped up a batch of chapatis too.
    We are on the way back home now. A day early but we are fed up of the leaky toilet. We are all a little OCD so the thought of stepping out of a shower onto a murky wet floor is a bit :eek: I miss my bath. :)

We have had 2 sunny days though so can't complain that much.

Have a nice evening all. :)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • edited 3 May 2012 at 7:54PM
    BarbedukBarbeduk Forumite
    869 posts
    500 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    edited 3 May 2012 at 7:54PM
    Ok, so last night DH made a lovely curry with leftover chicken and told me he'd left enough meat for another meal tonight. So today I lift the foil off the plate to find . . . a chicken breast . . . no carcass:eek::eek:. Where does he think that yummy stock comes from!

But on a happier note I made some delicious banana and chocolate muffins. Those Jam donut muffins sound amazing Coxy, I'm going to have to find that recipe! :pUpdate: found it! Definitely making those tomorrow, thanks for that!:T
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    jumblejack wrote: »
    Are the jam doughnuts on page 1? If not please could you post it?

Oooh get me, posting a recipe :D

These are from Nigellas Domestic Goddess book:

125ml milk
    85ml veg oil plus more for greasing
    1 large egg
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    200g S.R. flour
    100g caster sugar
    12 teaspoons strawberry jam
    100g unsalted butter
    150 granulated sugar
    1 incredibly well-greased or silicon mini muffin pan

Preheat oven to 190C/Gas 5

Beat together the milk, oil, egg and vanilla extract. Stir this into the flour and caster sugar to combine (just): the lumps don't matter and if you overbeat the muffins will be tough.

Spoon the mixture into the muffin pan so that it's just under a third full. Add a dollop of jam - about the size of a fat broad bean - then top with more muffin mix.

Cook for 20 mins until the tops feel springy.

Melt the butter and lay the sugar out in a wide, shallow bowl. When the muffins are ready, carefully lift out of the pan, dip them in butter and roll in the granulated sugar.

Eat warm.

Mine is a 'normal' sized muffin pan, so the mixture made 9 full size and 3 half sized muffins. So delicious, but only for treats!!
    Cross-stitch WIP1: Christmas Pots - Historical Sampler Company

Cross-stitch WIP2: Pretty Little San Francisco - Satsuma Street
  • jumblejackjumblejack Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Now THAT sounds right up my street!!!!!!!

Nom nom nom.

Thanks so much for sharing:T
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • MrsCDMrsCD Forumite
    795 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Xmas Saver! Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all.

2 NSDs in a row :)
    However, DD2 brought me some eggs home and I haven't paid her yet :D:o

Starting to get the hang of this using stuff up business. Made quorn spag bol for tea. I only used half a packet of frozen mince, 2 onions, a jar of Ragu pasta sauce which had just gone past its BB date, and 2 carrots diced, with half a pack of spaghetti for the 4 of us (all adults) There was still a portion of sauce left over for lunch tomorrow. Thanks Florenceem for reminding me about portion sizes :)

I had a bit of a baking session yesterday. I made 24 plain buns - smaller than muffins, and put a small dollop of water icing on the top and some 100's and 1000's on 12, and some jelly orange/lemon half moon shapes on the other 12. I also made 3 plain cakes - jam through one of them to take to church, butter icing on another for us, and the last one for the freezer! Then I made a batch of cheese scones from the BE-RO recipe book (minus mustard as we don't like it) Haven't bought any cake this month so far... Trouble is when I bake cakes myself they seem to disappear too quickly ;)

When I make Yorkshire Puds on a Sunday, I have a roasting tin and heat a small amount of oil in a very hot oven (220-230C) while I mix the following.
    I use a measuring cup.
    1 cup plain flour
    Pinch salt
    2 large free range eggs
    1 cup milk
    1 cup cold water

Put everything except water into a large bowl, beat well then add enough water to make a coating batter ( so that a spoon dipped into the mix comes out with a coating on it rather than a thick spoonful)

Pour into the now very hot tin/oil - it should sizzle as you pour it in, and cook for about 30 minutes. If your tin has sides of at least an inch - sorry 2.5cm (I still think in 'old money') your puds will rise better. :) We then cut it into 8 and have one piece with Sunday dinner and the other piece each on Monday with Left over Sunday dinner.
    #59 Saving for Christmas 2020