Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

May 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 45

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

May 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 19 April 2012 at 6:45PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.8K replies 167.9K views

Replies

• Hiya

Can you POP me down for £56.25 for this month, I have spent £24.50 on a shop in Mr s and £4.50 on the double packs of cathedral cheese when it was on for 2 quid odd, need to write a small list tomorrow, as I am doing a bacon joint in apple juice in sc tomorrow, will have some for dinner, with aunt bessies spurs and petit Lois and carrots and green beans, will have lasagne for lunch tomorrow, which I cooked today and is totally yummy.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • Sue14Sue14 Forumite
    980 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    1st spend today of £24.27 in A1d1.
    Weight loss challenge 6/12lbs

• craigywvcraigywv Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    iQueen wrote: »
    Haven't got a cordial recipe to hand, but I make Blackberry Vinegar, which is brilliant neat for sore throats and colds, or diluted with water for a refreshing drink. (Yes, really!)

Blackcurrant Vinegar - R!bena with a kick!

Rinse a quantity of blackcurrants, (no need to top, tail n de-stalk). Drain. Bring to a gentle simmer, without added water, until they are cooked.. Squash them through a sieve.

Add 1lb of sugar and 1 pint of vinegar for each pint of juice,

Bring to the boil, dissolving the sugar. Simmer until syrupy. Pour into scalded glass bottles. Cap tightly.

Keeps in pantry for years. Once opened, store in fridge. Mmmmmmm!

I know it's tempting to buy the vinegar in quantity, but I use vinegar, in pint bottles, from Mr M, because the bottles are a handy size for fruit vinegars and cordials.

Can also be used as a sauce on puddings and ice cream etc.

Enjoy!
    thank-you i shall be trying that xx:)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • Fiasco55Fiasco55 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I managed another NSD today :j. Dinner tonight was a pesto pasta surprise. Made enough for me and my friend, and dinner for tomorrow night is also sorted.
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • iQueeniQueen Forumite
    810 posts
    Florenceem wrote: »
    I am not grown up yet! :D I don't think I will ever act my age. Much more fun. I have some friends of around my age who are so fuddy duddy! :eek:
    I was at my DDs last summer - got on the trampoline with 5 of my DGC. :rotfl: They love it that Nan is daft. :rotfl:

Defintely a kindred spirit!

I also have a friend like yours - lives in the past (WW2... and neither of us was born till after it ended!) She's always telling me to act my age, but why should I, when I've got me arthur-ritis to remind me! :rotfl:
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No food waste since November 2010. :j
    No debts.
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.2K posts
    NickJW wrote: »
    I wish! (actually - no I don't!). I WOULD like the salary, but everything else about the position I would hate. I like my work/life balance for instance. I would rather earn less money and have more time to myself, than be like a lot of people I know who work full time, then take home work for the evening. Yes - it's great to earn loads of money, but what's the point if you have no time to enjoy it? :think:

PS: Sorry if I ruined your guessing game btw. :(
    No problem.
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.2K posts
    NickJW wrote: »
    Dinner looks loooevvely! I've never been able to make a good Yorkshire!. They always end up too dry and crispy so I never bother anymore!
    I use my ancient Kenwood hand mixer to make my Yorkshire batter.
    Makes 12.
    Cost approx - 24p.
    6ozs plain flour.
    1 egg.
    6 - 8 fl ozs milk/water mix.

Whisk all together - I add in freshly ground black pepper.
    Leave to stand about 1 hour.
    Put tiny knob of lard in each muffin tin space - heat in 220c oven. As quickly as possible divide batter between the 12 spaces. Cook for about 20 minutes.

I noticed that bought Yorkshires contain sugar and salt. Much better and a lot cheaper to make your own - takes so little time. I used to make 24 Yorkshires at dinnertime - put 10 - 12 that were not on dinner plates - on server in middle of table. Never any left!
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • mummyyof5mummyyof5 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    First spend today of £25 in L**dls..was a NSD yesterday..even went to MrMs to take recycling this evening..DGD couldnt understand when we didnt go in the shop lol...she is only 2 and loves going to MrMs x
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • S-I_amS-I_am Forumite
    42 posts
    Hi all,
    I bought lots of eggs which were whoopsied so now have 23 eggs which I need to use up and take care of somehow. I want to make quiche at some stage soon but I can't fit an actual quiche in the freezer so I was wondering if I could make the egg mix and put that in the freezer. Will the egg keep like that? It could come in handy having beaten eggs in the freezer but never heard of anyone who have done that. I was also wondering what people's views are on how long the eggs will keep in the fridge anyway. The use by date was 27th of April.

EyesWideOpen - I dont know about freezing the quiche mixture but you can freeze eggs. Just crack into a suitable container, lightly beat and then freeze. They keep for up to three months apparently. I'd suggest freezing them in quantities of three or four for ease when using.
    So you've plenty of time to make lots of lush things :D

Talking Of lush, inspired by jj and flo's recipes :) I made some rather tasty mini carrot muffins today. With all the pineapple, coconut, nuts, sultanas and carrots they contain I swear I can feel myself getting healthier with every mouthful :D

Nite, nite

Sx
  • jedi82jedi82 Forumite
    410 posts
    Good morning everyone, still all poorly here :( but means we won't be going out so should be a NSD. Spent £5.34 in Boots yeterday on calpol and ibuprofen. Also bought the kids some electric toothbrushes in Boots (half price and did need new ones) and ice creams but that came out of my treat fund.

Last night made risotto with cchicken stock from the thighs I cooked the other day. This site is really maing me think about how I do things - thanks!

Not sure what is for dinner tonight but will be something that I have in!

Have a good day (think mine is going to be a long one!!)

Jedi x
    Finally getting my life on track. Onwards and upwards.
    BSC No 327
    GC Jan £336.91/£450
    GC Feb £0/£400