Healthcare cashplans 2009 discussion

edited 22 February at 10:42AM in Health & beauty MoneySaving
120 replies 45.9K views

Replies

• jud!thjud!th Forumite
    126 Posts
    Hi - I've looked through most of the cashplans and none seem to cover counselling/psychotherapy, which is weird, as I could get treatment for the stress-related stuff (tension headaches, backache) but not for the root causes.

Anyone know any plans which would give me any help with mental health stuff?

thanks
  • Hargel112Hargel112 Forumite
    19 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I can't thank Martin enough for introducing me to to Medicash via this site. I've only subscribed to the lowest level of cover but over the last two years have got over 200% the value of my annual premium back. All my claims have gone through smoothly and efficiently and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.:T
  • korukoru Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    jud!th wrote: »
    Hi - I've looked through most of the cashplans and none seem to cover counselling/psychotherapy, which is weird, as I could get treatment for the stress-related stuff (tension headaches, backache) but not for the root causes.

Anyone know any plans which would give me any help with mental health stuff?

thanks
    Medicash covers hypnotherapy which might be suitable, but it is not full on psychotherapy.
    koru
  • Hi All,

Been looking at these plans for a while and thinking im about to take the plunge.

Been strugging for the last 4 years with shin splints, had some treatment on the NHS as an outpatient but havnt made any progress. Ive finally decided that I am going to have to put my money up and start looking at private physiotherapy. So now am looking at these policies as a way to protect against or recover some of the costs incurred.

So to cut a long story short i need a policy which will not class this as a pre-existing condition and therefore cover and pay out on it.

Anybody have any ideas of where i could try

Cheers in advance

PA
  • edited 11 July 2011 at 12:47PM
    zurpherzurpher Forumite
    102 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 11 July 2011 at 12:47PM
    I'm just reading through the Medicash T&C and found some answers that might be of interest to other users.
    cymrulady wrote: »
    Can I quite legitimately make two claims for the same treatment as they are autonomous cash back plans? Provided, of course, they are back up by receipts and dentist signed claim forms?

Yes, but it won't give you any additional benefit as you are not allowed to claim more than what you've actually paid for.

Medicash T&C:
    "5.10 In the event that your claim is also covered by another insurance policy, we will not pay more than our proportionate share, which cannot exceed the total eligible cost which you have incurred. When making a claim you must disclose to us the existence of such other cover, and provide permission for us to make contact with the other company."

=> Other companies will have a similar clause.

mapcr77 wrote: »
    What would be considered a pre-existing condition? I looked into the cashback plans as I'm spending a fortune in osteopathy. If I join a plan, would they reject my claims on anything related to osteopathy/physio/chiropractic on the grounds that it is a pre-existing condition? Or if I just go to another practitioner (which I want to do anyway), could I claim from them rather than the one I've been seeing? If I'm not covered then it's really no point for me joining... any ideas?
    Thanks!
    strogauk wrote: »
    So to cut a long story short i need a policy which will not class this as a pre-existing condition and therefore cover and pay out on it.

Medicash T&C:
    "Pre-Existing Condition
    Any disease, illness or injury for which you have experienced symptoms, or sought or received medical attention in the 12 month period before the start of your policy, or increase in the premium level of your policy. "

"2.14 Pre-existing Conditions are excluded for 12 months from the date of joining or amending your level of cover."

=> It's still worth checking with Medicash as their ongoing promotion may also include no waiting time until cover for pre-existing conditions kicks in (as user koru indicated in reply 55).
  • PTM2PTM2 Forumite
    11 Posts
    Going to join Medicash, any existing members want to introduce me for the gift vouchers?
  • rafiannarafianna Forumite
    136 Posts
    Hi,
    Can anyone tell me if there's anything stopping me from taking out the policy, claiming immediately, then cancelling after two months, leaving me in profit?
  • ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    10K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    rafianna wrote: »
    Hi,
    Can anyone tell me if there's anything stopping me from taking out the policy, claiming immediately, then cancelling after two months, leaving me in profit?

All policies I know of exclude pre-existing conditions, and many have qualifying periods before you can claim.

If you claim immediately, you're going to have a hard job proving that it's for a condition you didn't have when you signed up.

Bear in mind that they can refuse to pay if you have not disclosed absolutely everything in your medical history, and that they can and will check your medical records to make sure you haven't missed anything out.

If you do miss anything out - even if it's not relevent to that particular claim - they can and will still refuse to pay up.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • PTM2PTM2 Forumite
    11 Posts
    I'm fairly sure that once you make a claim on any insurance policy or cover you lose the right to cancel.
  • rafiannarafianna Forumite
    136 Posts
    Medicash don't exclude pre-existing conditions except from the hospital benefits, ie one could claim optical, dental or even consultant fees immediately.
    You can cancel at any time, but have to pay for the months that were covered.