MARTIN LEWIS LIVE Q&A TODAY WITH RISHI SUNAK
The Chancellor Rishi Sunak will be joining Martin for a live Q&A this afternoon to discuss the cost of living support package being announced today - you'll be able to watch it live HERE on the MoneySavingExpert website, stay tuned for more detail

Can anyone settle an argument please

2»

Replies

• BigglesBiggles Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Does the same apply to lotto winnings? Are they not considered to be marital assets?
    Only in the event of you splitting up, as mentioned in earlier posts.
  • edited 16 April 2012 at 12:06AM
    RuthnJasperRuthnJasper Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 April 2012 at 12:06AM
    Depends of what you pledged in your marriage vows.

"All that I am I give to you; All that I have I share with you. For better or for worse... etc..."

OR

"P*ss off! If it's worth something it's mine and you can s*d off matey."

If it was the former, then half of it is rightfully his. If the latter, then it's all yours and he can whistle for his share...
  • Think about it this way. If it was a debt in your name alone would your husband be responsible for half of it? No! .
    I think you may be wrong on that one.
    My brother just last October had to seek advice regarding an outstanding water bill that was in his wifes name [married for 30 yrs] but due to depression & other irrelevant health issues she hadnt paid the water bill in 2 years! When my brother gave up work to care for her he found several hidden letters/bills of different kinds & he sought immediate help from citizens advice & the outcome was,it didnt matter that 5,000 pounds worth of bills were in his wifes name they were-are married & so the law sees it that HE has to carry the debt.

The same as it USED to be if a person died any debt they had died with them.Well not anymore the debt it passed onto the living partner to carry on paying.
    In life try to be nice to others,you never know who you are going to meet on your way down...

The same as it USED to be if a person died any debt they had died with them.Well not anymore the debt it passed onto the living partner to carry on paying.

No it isn't but it IS passed onto the deceased estate to be paid before the remaining assets are passed to the living partner or other beneficiaries.
    Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorn is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that she is pink; we logically know that she is invisible because we can't see her."
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you may be wrong on that one.
    My brother just last October had to seek advice regarding an outstanding water bill that was in his wifes name [married for 30 yrs] but due to depression & other irrelevant health issues she hadnt paid the water bill in 2 years!

Different kettle of fish. Utility bills are considered household bills and anybody resident in the house at the time can be chased for them.
  • datostardatostar Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Depends of what you pledged in your marriage vows.

"All that I am I give to you; All that I have I share with you. For better or for worse... etc..."

OR

"P*ss off! If it's worth something it's mine and you can s*d off matey."

If it was the former, then half of it is rightfully his. If the latter, then it's all yours and he can whistle for his share...

When my wife and I married in 1966, according to the 'Rites of the Established Church' using the 1662 Book of Common Prayer Service, only I, the man, had to undertake 'with all my wordly goods I thee endow' at the point of placing the ring. There was no such requirement placed on the woman. Nevertheless, she did have to promise to 'obey him, and serve him', so I suppose if I commanded her to cough up any of her funds over the years she would have had to!

In practice, as our respective parents passed on, we shared such assets as there were equally although there is no doubt that they were left to each of us as individuals.

Marriage vows are no longer part of civil law...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides