natwest student account

doodahdoodah Forumite
531 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
Forumite
i applied online to get my card plus account changed to a student account, and although i haven't heard anything thing from natwest themselves, i logged in to my online banking and it says its a 'student/graduate' account. there's no overdraft or anything yet. i'm hoping they will write to me soon, and give me a maestro card, oh and free rail card! what do you reckon?
31/12/2006 £8395, 01/10/2008 £5089.73, 19/10/2010 £835.00 31/03/2011 £0.00
Pigsback = £9.35 (£30 claimed), Quidco = £128.24 claimed
Official DFW Nerd No. 264

Debt-free and Proud!

Replies

• Yeah, I updated my current account to a student account online and about a week later they sent all the information packs and the option of getting a railcard or 55 squids cash gift. Still dont know which to choose!
  • The rail card lasts five years. At the moment, one year Young Persons Railcards are £20 (recently up from £18). Therefore, if you travel by train even by a small amount, it'd make sense to go for the rail card. £55 is a tiny fraction of the value you can get out of a rail card in 5 years!
    something missing
  • be carefl though as you have to be under 25 for the railcard & you only get money off journeys that cost £8 or more ithink... so depends on how far you travel. ;D
  • I remember there being a £8 or £10 (or there abouts) lower limit for the YP rail card, under which the 33% discount wouldn't apply. But this doesn't seem to have ever been implemented.

So, don't worry about the lower limit. This week especially, I've been getting my 33% off on a £2.30 journey, so it's certainly working.

But the age limit is a big thing to think about. Anyone joining Uni after a year out, at the age of 19 will get full use of the 5 years. But anyone who's taken more than a year out risks having their card revoked when they reach 25.
    something missing
  • AFAIK the lower limit only applies if you travel at peak times (before 10am Mon-Fri I think).

I find a railcard easily pays for itself (for instance I usually just go home from Bristol to Runcorn once or twice a term, costing about £31.80 return instead of £48.20).
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • doodahdoodah Forumite
    531 Posts
    Forumite
    got my info this morning, and have sent the form away to get the railcard :D the letter said my cheque book and card would be ready to pick up in 10 days... thought that was strange, having to collect them??

Debt-free and Proud!
  • ive not encountered a minimum cost although you cant use it before 10/10:30 cant remember which...also if you live in london and ever need a rail card to zone 5/6 you can extend a 1-4 free of charge with a yp railcard to 1-6 may be useful one day!
  • be carefl though as you have to be under 25 for the railcard & you only get money off journeys that cost £8 or more ithink... so depends on how far you travel.   ;D
    Not so kparka, indeed the Young Persons' Railcard website quotes an example, below, in which a saving is made on a normal fare of £3.70!

"Even on short journeys the savings really mount up, like saving £1.25 on the £3.70 Cheap Day Return from Derby to Nottingham. With a Railcard you pay just £2.45!"

Yorkie Boy
    :D ;D
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • crana9crana9 Forumite
    141 Posts
    got my info this morning, and have sent the form away to get the railcard :D the letter said my cheque book and card would be ready to pick up in 10 days... thought that was strange, having to collect them??

they generally do this for security i.e. so someone can't steal them from your post. this is more of a problem if you have a shared address (living in halls, shared flat, or similar) - places where students are likely to be living - so I guess this makes them extra careful about posting you things
    They call me Mr Pig!
  • doodahdoodah Forumite
    531 Posts
    Forumite

they generally do this for security i.e. so someone can't steal them from your post. this is more of a problem if you have a shared address (living in halls, shared flat, or similar) - places where students are likely to be living - so I guess this makes them extra careful about posting you things

true.. i phoned them to see if they were ready to collect, and they told me no new card or cheque book had been ordered ::)

Debt-free and Proud!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Mortgage rates

What can you (or should you) do?

MSE News

Train strikes

Your refund rights explained

MSE News