Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Parking tickets?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
8 replies 5.2K views
richm40richm40 Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
Can anyone tell me if Good Friday is classed as a bank holiday or not? I ask because I received a parking ticket on this day when i thought bank holidays were free. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Replies

• SagarisSagaris Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought it was - as the banks are closed!
    If it was a Council car park or the ticket was issued by them, ring up the parking department and ask if they count Good Friday as a Bank holiday - if the answer is yes - you're in the clear!
    :j Almost 2 stones gone! :j
    :heart2: RIP Clio 1.9.93 - 7.4.10 :heart2:
    :p I WILL be tidy, I WILL be tidy! :p
  • lifeisgoodlifeisgood Forumite
    114 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Many council car parks do charge for bank holidays, especially if in an area where they are likely to be well used. My local ones charge.
    The T&C's should be on the ticket machine.
  • tom188tom188 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    there is no standard system adopted on this subject, you must check with the council and or car park operator.
  • Pluto_BearPluto_Bear Forumite
    15 Posts
    The important thing is what is on the car park notice; some charge all the time, some even charge disabled drivers - there is NO national standard! perhaps there should be, but....
  • melg1973melg1973 Forumite
    207 Posts
    ✭✭
    Apparently its classed as a Public Holiday and not actually a Bank Holiday. I only know this as I used to work for Boots the Chemist at their head office and if we wanted to take Good Friday off it came off your annual leave as it wasn't a bank holiday. Nowhere else seems to get away with that!:confused:
  • Penelope_PenguinPenelope_Penguin Forumite
    17.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Best Buy Bear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    richm40 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if Good Friday is classed as a bank holiday or not? I ask because I received a parking ticket on this day when i thought bank holidays were free. Any feed back would be appreciated.

When I worked in West Yorkshire, it was tradition to work Good Friday and have Easter Monday and Tuesday as holiday. Is it possible that this is what's happened?
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • melg1973 wrote: »
    Apparently its classed as a Public Holiday and not actually a Bank Holiday. I only know this as I used to work for Boots the Chemist at their head office and if we wanted to take Good Friday off it came off your annual leave as it wasn't a bank holiday. Nowhere else seems to get away with that!:confused:

Someone told me that today as well, as he got a parking ticket on Good Friday and someone at Camden Council told him this.
    However, I looked up on DirectGov website, it clearly states that "Bank Holiday" is how public holidays are called in the U.K. and that Good Friday is a Bank Holiday in all parts of the U.K. including England and Wales, Scotland as well as N. Ireland. So I wonder whether forcing you to use your own annual leave in place of Good Friday is at all legal or not.
  • NileNile Forumite, Board Guide
    14.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"][email protected][/EMAIL].
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
This discussion has been closed.