filtered faceplate installers and cost?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
15 replies 1.3K views
vylevyle Forumite
2.4K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
I'm having a lot of trouble with my internet connection, and I'm reasonably certain that it's my adsl filter that's the problem. However, my flat has four phone points and only one is connected, and it's behind a huge book case, meaning that should an engineer need to examine the connection, it's a day's work to move it, then put it back.

I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone and get one of my more accessible phone points connected up with a filtered face-plate.

Now, here's the thing. I don't know of any reputable engineers, or even how much it'd cost.

I know that when it comes to TVs, there are freesat approved installers, and with gas, you want to use gas-safe registered. Is there any such standard for telephone engineers? Are there any good sites to look for them?

Any pointers would be appreciated, because the last thing I want to do is end up calling some dodgy guy who does it all wrong and vanishes, when there may be a reputable national installer who is traceable.

Replies

• plumfaceplumface Forumite
    506 Posts
    Their is no such 'trade body' that i am aware of when it comes to this sort of work.
    You could try this list :-
    telephone engineers
    Lose is to not win......Loose is not tight......get it right!
  • vylevyle Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Thanks plumface. That site doesn't seem to list any where I live....it looks almost like a slightly upmarket webring :S.
    506 Posts
    What area are you in?
    506 Posts
    Whats a webring?
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's fairly tricky to wire up a phone point wrong-there are only two wires to connect. Less than in a 13 amp plug. Any competent handyman can do it.
    Plenty of phone engineers listed in local directories, though most of them will be doing commercial work.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • penrhynpenrhyn Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do it yourself, the VDSL plate needs no wiring.

http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/btvdslfaceplate.html
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • bod1467bod1467
    15.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which is the MAIN phone point in the flat? (Normally has a split faceplate, typically a NTE5A). This has a TEST socket behind it and is the demarcation point for BT's wiring responsibility. If possible you should use this point for your ADSL connection.

To this can be fitted an ADSL faceplate (e.g. XTE2000 from ADSLNation, though there are several other suppliers, such as Clarity). All other extensions should be wired to the filtered side of the faceplate (marked as terminals 2 and 5) and can be used as normal for telephones (but not for an ADSL modem). A Krone punch tool is recommended for pushing the extension wires onto the IDC terminals on the faceplate.

See this PDF for more info and troubleshooting tips.
  • bod1467bod1467
    15.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    penrhyn wrote: »
    Do it yourself, the VDSL plate needs no wiring.

It does if you want to do it properly and still use the other extensions. :)
  • penrhynpenrhyn Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, you unscrew the faceplate from your master socket taking care not to disturb any extension wiring, plug in the V plate nad reattach the original faceplate. The extension wires go through a slot at the bottom of the V plate. result all extensions and the socket in the faceplate are filtered and you have a modem socket at the top.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • vylevyle Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    According to my OH who had a play about with our faceplate once when I was at work (we only have one wired faceplate) we already have an I-plate.

I did speak to an engineer just to get a quote and he told me two things:

1: ADSL filter faceplates are no better than plug in ADSL filters.

2: Because my flat's a new build, the problem is that the main phone switchbox thing that leads to the outside world isn't configured properly for broadband and that lots of people in my area have had the same problem.

He quoted £200 to sort it out.

This sounds somewhat steep and while plausible, a bit odd.... I don't suppose any of you chaps are engineers who could shed light on if this is a reasonable diagnosis/quote?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides