Is it time to switch from British Gas yet?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
8 replies 1.6K views
scootermaccscootermacc Forumite
65 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
I know that Martin's recommended waiting before switching, but I also know that I am paying more for my gas through BG from this week, so is there an interim solution?

Does anybody know whether there is a minimum contract term when you switch? If not, I could switch now, and again in a month or so... (I'm sure that won't be problem free)

I'm now wishing I'd taken electric powered heating and cooking, and used Good Energy for all my home's power.
Named after my cat, picture coming shortly

Replies

• You can switch suppliers at any time, and usually just have to give a month's notice, so no reason why you can't jump now, then change again if tariffs change - so you can make immediate savings by switching straight away.

The only problem is that the actual switch may take around 6/8 weeks to complete, depending on how fast the suppliers get their act together.
  • Ive just bought a new house which was on British Gas for gas and elec.
    I will be changing supplier very soon, but in the meantime, I just recieved my letter stating the price rises (of around £80 p.a. for me). On the back of the letter (dated as Sept 2004 - no exact date) it says "If you want to terminate your contract with British Gas.........to avoid the price changes.........call 0845 9555718.
    I called them and they told me that I cant avoid the price change unless I have the meter taken out (Thats helpful!!!)
    I asked them how much notice they had to supply me with before a price change, and after around 5 minutes on hold he came back and said "we made a public announcement over 28 days ago, it was in all the papers and the news. (i dont get newspapers, although I heard prices were rising through the TV). He went on to say they have now informed all customers by letter, but they did not need to inform customers individually by letter.

Is this true???
    Can they mearly give 28 days notice to the press and hope all their customers get to know about it???
    Anything I write is based on my opinion only. Before acting upon any advice from anyone on a forum further professional advice should be sought.
  • CageyCagey Forumite
    295 Posts
    Scottish & Southern group ie SWALEC,Scottish Hydro Electric & Southern Electric have stated they will not be increasing Gas or Lecky before next year acording to Daily Telegraph today.
  • pak2pak2 Forumite
    74 Posts
    yes 28 days is all they need 2 give us, although they did kinka hit all the papers and radio and tv they way they did it, lol

Not sure they wanted quite so much attention

Pak
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
  • garysletters, (who contributes elsewhere on this forum as a Telecom Plus Rep), wrote about British Gas:
    Can they mearly give 28 days notice to the press and hope all their customers get to know about it

That is somewhat better than the situation with your own outfit, (Telecom Plus), garysletters!

Telecom+ Ts + Cs allow them to change their prices without informing their customers until 10 days AFTER the price rise comes into effect.

(And when they increased their prices earlier this year, they didn't even inform you reps!  The ones who visit here learnt about it from a post in this forum!)
  • COSCOS Forumite
    549 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Oh yes and what a shambles that was and the disagreement from MarkE at the time. Another debate Smartass won ;) but then again he would as his facts are not often wrong unlike TPlus and even myself of which I would be the first to put my hand u to admit :)
    Rememember. Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
    Never pass up an opportunity to go to the bathroom.
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance. And finally, be really nice to your family and friends; you never know
    when, You might need them to empty your bedpan.
  • pak2pak2 Forumite
    74 Posts
    If ne 1 could paste the link re: marke and the Tplus debate i would love to read it, lol

(PM me the link)

Pak

Thought of the day,

[move]Money saving experts that live in glass houses should throw..............[/move]
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
  • You can switch suppliers at any time, and usually just have to give a month's notice, so no reason why you can't jump now, then change again if tariffs change - so you can make immediate savings by switching straight away.

The only problem is that the actual switch may take around 6/8 weeks to complete, depending on how fast the suppliers get their act together.

Thanks Smartie (!). Guess I'll have to be patient until Martin speaks ;D
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Avro Energy and Green cease trading

What it means for your gas & electrity

MSE News

Energy mythbusting

What really makes a difference?

MSE Guides

Free £6 Amazon credit for some

When you add £50 to gift card balance