Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

March 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 90

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

March 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 February 2012 at 10:58AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 106K views

Replies

• Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    elsiepac wrote: »
    Today I bought 3x milk substitutes as they are on offer in Mr T for £1. I got one Kara, the coconut based one, and 2 Alpro, the almond based one. They are both MUCH nicer than real milk which I've never been a fan of anyway.
    LC
    Hi LC,
    Not sure if you've tried the rice based milk substitute; r*** dream? My friend who is lactose intolerant has it and I've had it in tea and it was OK (I like milk though so might not be best for recommending alternatives). My friend describes it as being the gentlest alternative. When she was looking I know she tried a coconut alternative but I'm not sure what else. Anyway, HTH

Good luck with the meal
    You could make coconut ice-cream to go with the pineapple cake - there is an asian non-dairy recipe here:

Ingredients:
    · 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
    · 1/4 cup superfine sugar or granulated sugar, or to taste
    · 1/8 teaspoon coconut extract, optional
    · 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
    · 1/8 cup toasted coconut, optional
    Preparation:
    Combine the coconut milk and sugar, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Stir in the extract and the coconut flakes. Chill in the freezer, stirring occasionally until hardened, or prepare in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions. Top with (optional) toasted coconut before serving
    SL

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £2161.30/£5k 28.72% after Apr
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £863.93/£3k 28.8% so far at end of April
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 £7,678.12/£15,000 51.9%
    MFIT T5 No 2 £50,483/£59,998 or 84.14% paid after Q5
    My Debt Free Diary is here
  • edited 18 March 2012 at 9:02AM
    tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 March 2012 at 9:02AM
    hi...happy mothers day...off to lidl later ...as didnt get there yesterday..the fridge is empty so need to sort that out...need to get some yogurt and other bits for puddings as presently have nowt

got chicken for lunch...so thats sorted....thinking of doing the frugal fast just need to pick my week

meg your crumble sounds nice...i might try that
    take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    FrugalLina wrote: »
    and DundeeDoll

It was here in Fife and only a very small market. To be honest, it was a bit like those Continental Fairs they have in the larger towns, I recognised some of the stalls. There was some lovely produce, but some of it was very expensive. Arran cheeses, flavoured oils (£7/£8 a bottle!) beautiful jams and chutneys, some lovely baking, huuuge olives, some sweets and a chocolates. All well outside my price range. There were some meat stalls, but I don't eat meat, so I didn't check prices. The vegetables were great though (and the smokies)!

I do wonder it it was good value really because, in order to get a few vegetables (saving approx £2) I spent £3.35 on the bus, paid for a Big Issue £3.00 and the smokie was £2.80. Hmmmm.... not really good OS shopping!

I think it was worth it if you enjoyed it,we must have treats sometimes.
    Bus fares seemto have gone up horrendously,I am very lucky in having a buspass as I am sure if I didnt I wouldnt be going anywhere different at all.
    Slimming World at target
  • I have bought mine on line for the last 2-3 years as has hubby. I am pretty sure when it comes to the payment section it gave us a choice of how to pay and we ticked the debit card choice then entered our details, this was only the end of Jan that we did it.

Have you tried paying over the phone by debit card?
    Ninno820 wrote: »
    Ditto - I have just used my direct debit card as well - its also a visa. The site does say that you can use both.

Grocery wise its a nsd here - just on the count down to payday next friday. I have some unidentifiable meat defrosting from the freezing with a view to slow cooking it tomorrow.

Hes tried every time to pay with his debit card coz, as you say, it gives that option, but every time it comes up and says card cannot be used on this occasion please pick another card (or something like that anyway) and even using other debit cards from other accounts it is only the credit card it accepts.:mad::mad::mad:

Now I know it can be done, think I'll take a bit more interest and have a look and see what he is doing wrong. Unfortunately ETO, we normally forget until it's too late and it's some ungodly hour when there is no-one there to phone, but will try and be more organised next time it's due for payment! Having 2 cars and 2 motorbikes it won't be long until one of them is due for taxing!!:(

Many thanks for your comments - so glad to know that other people can pay for their tax by debit card:T
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying!:rotfl:

June GC - £352.04/£350
    SP challenge 3P £171.28:j:j:j
  • Tracey12 wrote: »
    I paid for my car tax last month with my debit card and had no problems

Tracey

Sorry didn't include in above post, but missed your one for some reason - anyway thanks for letting me know that you too have paid by debit card for your tax - am now on a mission :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying!:rotfl:

June GC - £352.04/£350
  • DundeeDoll wrote: »
    Wooden spoon noooooooooooo

Look at the positives, at least you won something :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

June GC - £352.04/£350
  • Glad to hear from you HelenJelly - was worried there for a bit (phew);)

June GC - £352.04/£350
  • edited 18 March 2012 at 1:08PM
    DundeeDollDundeeDoll Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 March 2012 at 1:08PM
    You're right MunniMuncha, after all wooden spoons are very useful :D
    So didn't manage to stick to my £20 in Lidl but did £43.33 which was considerably less than last week. Have again analysed into Protein (P), Fruit and veg (V), Dairy (D), Groceries (G) and Munch (M)
    Date...Total.......P.........V.......D........G.........M
    04/03..73.65...33.96....5.27....4.99...14.89...14.54
    11/03..65.77...22.68...12.13....4.00...15.45...11.51
    18/03..43.44...10.63...12.58....3.00...13.88....3.35

Munch not quite so good as it looks cos we gave DS £7 to spend on munch for his w/e away with band camp. But am definitely getting much cleverer at YS and half price protein.
    I may not be there yet but I'm closer than I was yesterday
  • Hi everyone, will try not to gloat too much after yesterday's fantastic result!!:beer:

Spent another £20 in co0p today (i'm blaming it on feeling delicate after last night's celebrations!):rotfl:

£10 of that was on 2 enormous packs of steak mince (£4 each) and a whole chicken. Usually only buy FR chickens, but the meat was on 3 for £10 offer, so £2 seemed too good to pass up. Will use it up on curry, sandwiches, salads and soup so will keep us going for lunches most of the week and a few dinners too.

Of to update sig and put some more washing on - it's a lovely sunny sunday afternoon here. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
    LTN
  • hex2hex2 Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Had to crack and buy sugar in the co-op. 99p so less than I expected, and £1.45 for 1kg icing sugar. Would have been cheaper in local town but £3 in fuel to go.

Cheese on toast for lunch with the last of yesterdays HM bread, and the dregs of the cheap post c'mas cheese. Depressing when cheese on toast is a treat.

Dinner is RTC chicken with all the trimmings. Must get another carcass out of the freezer so we have decent stock for soup.

Chocolate cake in for the boys, last of the stork and some HM butter. Just used cocoa (T value reduced fat) rather than cocoa and value chocolate. Be interesting to see if they notice.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero