How to stop housemartins nesting below roof

Replies

• leveller2911leveller2911
    8.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mich_spa wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to hurt any animal however when you have no sleep what so ever because they are running around I'n your roof so much so that I have considered sleeping I'n my lounge something has to be done!

Not sure what you have "running around in your roof" at night but they're not House Martins...........Rats? mice? Squirells? ;)
  • LeifLeif Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    More pink meaty nourishment from frontline. Not that I'd call that greasy processed slop nourishment, but each to their own.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • WestonDaveWestonDave Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    More annoying than house martins - how to stop Frontline spamming their tat on this site every 12 months?
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • BigglesBiggles Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haven't seen this thread before. I'd like to know how to attract house martins to return.

Many years ago, we and our (evil) neighbours had quite a few nests under our south-facing gable ends every year. Then she knocked them all down and put dangly plastic up to prevent them returning. We didn't discourage them, but they have never returned again.

I just wonder why one set of eaves takes their fancy. Nothing has changed, they just don't come any more.
  • Biggles wrote: »
    Haven't seen this thread before. I'd like to know how to attract house martins to return.

Many years ago, we and our (evil) neighbours had quite a few nests under our south-facing gable ends every year. Then she knocked them all down and put dangly plastic up to prevent them returning. We didn't discourage them, but they have never returned again.

I just wonder why one set of eaves takes their fancy. Nothing has changed, they just don't come any more.

Sadly, Housemartins are becoming very rare now as their landscape is destroyed through housing and development. They will most likely have been forced to find a new site altogether. :( It is a huge privilege to have Housemartins choose to nest near you! This is happening with alot of our wildlife. It is mankind who needs to curtail it's breeding, and selfishly strangling anything that appears to get in our way. I always find it cowardly that a species so big and 'intelligent' finds something so small a threat.
  • leveller2911leveller2911
    8.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    frontline wrote: »
    There are quite a few ways to stop birds nesting.
    If you search again with 'no more nests' you should find a solution.

Not very well disguised spam........... Why would anyone want to stop Housemartins and swallows from nesting on their houses is beyond me,they fly thousands of miles to get here and f*ckwits like you get a perverted kick from stopping them..

Jeezuz theres some f*ckwits about........
  • capeverdecapeverde Forumite
    651 Posts
    pellet gun usually does the trick when the neighbours arent watching. If you want birds crapping all over your house and drive where your kids play thats fine, I dont.
    651 Posts
    Look I was bought up on a farm and if there were nuisances like rabbits, pigeons or foxes ruining crops or worrying our animals we'd shoot them. Thats what happens in the country. Certain people may not like this but its our choice. I wont abuse you for your beliefs, so why feel the need to abuse me unless you have run out of a worthwhile arguement.
  • edited 16 April 2012 at 9:04PM
    leveller2911leveller2911
    8.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 April 2012 at 9:04PM
    capeverde wrote: »
    Look I was bought up on a farm and if there were nuisances like rabbits, pigeons or foxes ruining crops or worrying our animals we'd shoot them. Thats what happens in the country. Certain people may not like this but its our choice. I wont abuse you for your beliefs, so why feel the need to abuse me unless you have run out of a worthwhile arguement.

I've lived in the country all my life.Been there,seen,done it, ferreted,rough shooting etc etc. Take a look at the thread title again, any mention of feral pigeons,wood pigeons,collard doves?? no its about Swallows/House Martins , maybe you don't know the difference between them so try googling "swallows" or "House Martins".

Theres a big difference between vermin and protected birds like Swallows/House Martins.. Its got naff all to do with "Beliefs" what are you a pursecuted minority?..
    651 Posts
    Of course I know the difference, I also have my own beliefs on what constitutes a nuisance. A bird constantly crapping where my kids play falls into that category. I would also include a single bat holding up a barn conversion for 3 years whilst a handful of roy croppers decend on a property and then take 12 months to submit a report deserved of a couple of barrels. You seem to have anger issues by the way, its not good for you.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES