Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Grocery Challenge - February 2012 - Page 70

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Grocery Challenge - February 2012

edited 30 January 2012 at 8:27AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2K replies 154.5K views

Replies

• DundeeDoll - so sorry for your loss, hugs and prayers x

Had a good day today, spent £1.10 on whoopsied rolls for the children's snacks. Apart from that we haven't needed anything today.

I hope everyone had a good day
    Groceries Challenge 2019
    Jan £462.44/£400
    Feb £210.10/£450, 2/10 NSDs
  • Have updated my signature - another NSD for me - got the cold weather to thank for that, I couldn't bear the thought of going out again after work! Bit overspent, as predicted, this first week, but stocks are a plenty. Haven't actually done any meal planning yet this month so tonight's task is to stock take and plan. Pretty certain that rest of month will only need fresh produce and supplies from my 'loft shop' (2nd purse).

Hope everyone's feeling positive.

• wuvvies wrote: »
    well i dont like to blow my own trumpet ... but im going to

this is week one for me total newbie. i got out 90 pounds to do us for the week. 2 adults and 2 kids plus 1 that comes twice a week. i took it out on a wednesday and so im due to take out another 90 tomorrow. i have 70p left in my purse AND

spend 30 of the money on petrol which was supposed to come out of a different budget
    and had £15 left this morning so i went and bought some snacky bits for the kids - some yogs and dessert tonight and some lunchbox bits

if i can do this every week i will be really pleased. i know most of you do it for a lot less but this is my starting point. :cool:

im defintaly going to go to [email protected] a bit more i reckon that i have saved at least 10 -20p on each item compared to [email protected]

one happy chick tonight. i can get more money tomorrow and i reckon i dont need to go shopping again til friday. so some of the change will be going in my xmas pot. if i didnt need petrol that would have gone in my xmas pot
    happy saving people

You carry on blowing your own trumpet Wuvvies - can't wait till I will be joining you in the trumpet blowing, hopefully when I start a new month in March - well done you :T:T:T
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying!:rotfl:

June GC - £352.04/£350
    SP challenge 3P £171.28:j:j:j
  • sistercassistercas Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    NSD today as i have been at work all day and same tomorrow .
    will start to look on my [EMAIL="superm@rket"][email protected][/EMAIL] so i can plan my shopping for thursday
  • Know how you feel Coxy - I'm currently trying to "get ahead" with all my budgets. Everything is paid for on cc & cleared in full each month - but it does mean that Jan's salary (which has to last until end Feb) pays for Jan's purchases so I'm always behind:(

I am exactly in the same position as you rising, but think I will be up to date by the end of this month as have used my 'free' months from water and council tax to overpay my cc bill for groceries and so hopefully next month will have caught up and will convert to use cash only in future. Good luck with your mission
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying!:rotfl:

June GC - £352.04/£350
    SP challenge 3P £171.28:j:j:j
  • I am exactly in the same position as you rising, but think I will be up to date by the end of this month as have used my 'free' months from water and council tax to overpay my cc bill for groceries and so hopefully next month will have caught up and will convert to use cash only in future. Good luck with your mission

And you ..... (having one of "those moments" when I wonder if changing to paying the CT over 12 months was such a good idea after all!)
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • edited 7 February 2012 at 9:53PM
    elsiepacelsiepac Forumite, Board Guide
    1.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 7 February 2012 at 9:53PM
    Hi again everyone,

Right, have jigged meal plan and budgets around yet again - Week 2 budget now £25 as bought some bits for baking and still have a couple of fresh bits to get tomorrow night or Thursday. Updated weekly budgets below. Did spend a little extra today, but still looking to come in at the end of the month about £5 under budget.

I got some real good whoopsied stuff today...

Whoopsies:
    4x bags of sliced butter roasted turkey from deli counter (one seems to have not scanned but didn't notice till was home... oops...:o ) £1.18
    2x bags of mini vegetable spring rolls from deli counter 60p
    1x bag sliced ham from deli counter 25p
    1x bag of 6x multi grain triangle rolls... 16p!!!
    2x bunches daffodils for mum 50p (hadn't even opened yet and should have been £2!!! :eek: )

Total spend today was £15.91.

The meat and spring rolls are in the freezer (can't fit any more on my shelf now...will have to get using stuff!)

I have done loads of baking today, I made my Hovis loaf with the bread mix for 67p, and do you know what, between me, mum and dad, there are only 3 slices left from the whole loaf!!! :D It was SOOO good, I can highly HIGHLY recommend! Lucky I have two more bags in the cupboard...!

I also made blacksaturn's malt loaf for the first time, and I must say it does NOT smell good. Then I had a piece with butter on, and nearly died and went to heaven, it was SOOO delicious! :T

Also made the Weetabix brownies, which I've only tried crumbs of but may have one later while watching 90210, however mum and dad said they were yummy. I used white and dark chocolate chips, twice as many white as dark.

finally, for my tea (as I had my cous cous for lunch), I had my honeyed carrot soup! Glad I found that recipe, it was yummy! I reckon I halved the water though, as it would have been sooo thin otherwise! Here it is (originally from BBC Good Food):

Honeyed Carrot Soup

Ingredients
    2 tbsp butter(I used oil)
    2 small leeks , sliced (I used 1 big one)
    800g carrots , roughly chopped(I used about 1kg)
    2 tsp clear honey ( I used more like 2 tbsps...)
    small pinch dried chilli flakes (optional)(I think this is key actually)
    1 bay leaf
    1.25l vegetable stock (this is the halved amount, I used a Knorr Veg Stock Pot)
    soured cream or yogurt , to serve (I didn't bother)

Method

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
    Add the leeks to the pan, then cook for 3 mins until starting to soften.
    Add the carrots, honey, chilli (if using) and bay leaf, then cook for 2 mins.
    Pour in the stock, bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 mins.
    Blend the soup in batches, return to a clean pan, then season to taste.
    When ready to serve, bring back to a simmer, then ladle into mugs.
    Add a swirl of soured cream or yogurt and serve with garlic bread or bacon butties.

Updated amounts below

LC

Feb GC: £55.31/£98
    Week 1: £13.38/£14
    Week 2: £17.69/£25
    Week 3: £0/£9
    Week 4: £0/£11
    Week 5: £0/£14
    Stores: £24.24/£25
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    SPC No 074
    GC: Jan 20 £tbc/£250
    Vegan 27-8-13
  • Hello lovelies :wave:

A couple of biggish spends at the beginning of the month which means all the dinner stuff is in for the month barring fresh things :) Need some fresh stuff now but had a little accident with a sledge so resting my feet/ankle/coccyx for a few days :o (not much walking, no driving etc). Hoping to get to Ald! on Thursday for fresh stuff and their jaffa cakes are absolutely lovely, so will need to stock up on those :D

Hope you are all well, special thoughts to DundeeDoll and mummyjane :grouphug: but I think there are others who need a :grouphug: too :)
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P :)), DSE141 (D :j), DSE212 (P :)), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
  • scotmumof3scotmumof3 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    hi everyone £28.89 spend for me today Nearly halfway through my month and I'm doing not too badly
    LHS #217 DFW#1421 2020 Frugal Living Challenge january NSD 7/31 #42 saving for Xmas 2020 33/366:rudolf:: grocery challenge 0/2750 sealed pot challenge 13 #72 MFW#74 0/2000 £2 savers 2020 #21 £20
    debt free day 29th October 2020
  • ChesChes Forumite
    1.1K posts
    NSD again for me. Ladies I am sorry to say I am going to bow out of this challenge. Having scrutinized my spending it isn't the grocerery budget that needs attention. In fact I am happy to kep that at £50 per week and can do it fairly easily. The spending that out of hand is the clothes and other personal spending and I need to concentrate on that. Good luck to you all.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think: