Is the Sony Bravia CX523 3D..?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
13 replies 2.4K views
CompletelyLostCompletelyLost Forumite
2.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in TV MoneySaving
Don't know anything about TVs so apologies for a potentially stupid question, but I'm just curious to know whether the Sony Bravia CX523 is a 3D TV? I've looked online but nothing I've read said it is.

Replies

• macmanmacman Forumite
    48.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it's just a budget LCD TV. What makes you think it might be 3D? It's only £399.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Well it is 3D but it will not display a 3D image.
  • CompletelyLostCompletelyLost Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well it is 3D but it will not display a 3D image.

I don't really understand what you mean :o
    macman wrote: »
    No, it's just a budget LCD TV. What makes you think it might be 3D? It's only £399.
    ^
    The reason I ask is because I won a 3DTV in a competition and this is the TV that they sent me... they also sent me 4 pairs of 3D glasses with it. I haven't opened it, but had been googling to see if my suspicions were correct.
  • From the cnet website -
    The Bravia KDL-40CX523 is the entry-level 40-inch TV in Sony's 2011 line-up. It lacks 3D support and uses CCFL rather than LED backlighting, but it still packs in many more features that you'd expect from an LCD TV that can be picked up online for around £560

and looking at the Sony website the 3D TV's start on the 7 series.
    Dave. :wave:
  • InsideInsuranceInsideInsurance Forumite
    22.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't really understand what you mean :o
    They were being sarcastic saying the TV itself is a 3D object but doesnt display 3D images.
  • edited 29 January 2012 at 4:07PM
    CompletelyLostCompletelyLost Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 January 2012 at 4:07PM
    From the cnet website -

and looking at the Sony website the 3D TV's start on the 7 series.

Thanks. I know EX723 is 3D as I know someone who has is, but I didn't think this model was. I will contact the company... though I do find it quite amusing that they would send me 4x pairs of 3D glasses for a TV that isn't even 3D. Fail indeed!
    They were being sarcastic saying the TV itself is a 3D object but doesnt display 3D images.

Ahh I see, well that one was wasted on me, straight over the top of my head as usual...
  • edited 29 January 2012 at 7:12PM
    Phantom_Flan_FlingerPhantom_Flan_Flinger Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    edited 29 January 2012 at 7:12PM
    though I do find it quite amusing that they would send me 4x pairs of 3D glasses for a TV that isn't even 3D.

As fas as I know, Sony use active glasses. If they've sent you 4 pairs of active ones, that's a couple of hundred quid at least.
    Do they look like this?
    Dave. :wave:
  • penrhynpenrhyn Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi OP, do you have a 3D programme source to connect to your maybe 3D TV? You need a 3D source to see 3D on a 3D TV.
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • CompletelyLostCompletelyLost Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    As fas as I know, Sony use active glasses. If they've sent you 4 pairs of active ones, that's a couple of hundred quid at least.
    Do they look like this?
    Yes, those are the exact glasses that they have sent me. Oh well, shan't complain...
    penrhyn wrote: »
    Hi OP, do you have a 3D programme source to connect to your maybe 3D TV? You need a 3D source to see 3D on a 3D TV.

Hi - I received a bluray player as part of the prize also.

The letter said: "Congrats! You have won a 32 inch Sony 3D TV and bluray player... You'll enjoy a whole new dimension of TV viewing with this Sony Bravia TV. Offering full high-definition, it can display TV, films and games in 2D as well as eye-popping 3D. You'll also receive four pairs of 3D glasses".

Really don't want to go complaining to them before I completely understand what it is that they've sent me. Does the prize I've received (if you count in the bluray player) fit this description? :S
  • penrhynpenrhyn Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals