Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

January 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 290

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 December 2011 at 2:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.3K replies 330.2K views

Replies

• Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    MMmmmmmm Floreenceem, that's looks yummy!

Just on to update my spends. Started my Feb GC on Monday with a trip to MrA (near a friends house, not fortunate to have one near me) and MrT in the evening. Also have just paid final milk bill which was for the first 2 weeks of January (nearly £15!). Annoyed because they bill in arrears and I had forgotten about this :mad:

Now here's a question: I have some diced pork (YS of course) in the freezer and was going to use it in a curry sauce I have bought. Now I don't want to offend anyone (feel bad just writing it down), and I know it's not authentic Indian cuisine as you wouldn't find pork on a menu, but DH says it is simply not on to have 'pork curry' and that I need to do something else like sweet and sour (which of course I don't have ingredients for....). He was even laughing about it to one of his friends yesterday - could've slapped him! What would you do? (about the food, not the DH, I can handle him). Answers on a postcard please......:D

WW this morning - better have lost something this week!
    Cross-stitch WIP1: Christmas Pots - Historical Sampler Company

Cross-stitch WIP2: Pretty Little San Francisco - Satsuma Street
  • ClaireT13ClaireT13 Forumite
    222 posts
    ✭✭
    Just popping in to report first spends of February:

£10.87 in Budg3ns for some sauces etc
    £0.55 greengrocers for 3 bananas :eek: - thought they would be cheaper than sm
    £10.29 on dog food as the order I placed on the internet failed to arrive in time :mad: - they have credited me £1.25 extra though so I will take that off this total.

So declaring first spends of £23.46.

We need milk so today will be another spend day. Hopefully Friday will be clear though!

Have a good day everyone!
    Banish the clutter 88/2020 :j
  • skillyskilly Forumite
    902 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all, was going shopping yesterday but thought I would empty two freezers first and make list of contents got so much stuff in there, i do this once a year . so In the end I did not go and saved myself some money !
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue :staradmin
  • mandcomandco Forumite
    783 posts
    Xmas Saver! I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Coxy11 wrote: »

Just on to update my spends. Started my Feb GC on Monday with a trip to MrA (near a friends house, not fortunate to have one near me) and MrT in the evening. Also have just paid final milk bill which was for the first 2 weeks of January (nearly £15!). Annoyed because they bill in arrears and I had forgotten about this :mad:

Now here's a question: I have some diced pork (YS of course) in the freezer and was going to use it in a curry sauce I have bought. Now I don't want to offend anyone (feel bad just writing it down), and I know it's not authentic Indian cuisine as you wouldn't find pork on a menu, but DH says it is simply not on to have 'pork curry' and that I need to do something else like sweet and sour (which of course I don't have ingredients for....). He was even laughing about it to one of his friends yesterday - could've slapped him! What would you do? (about the food, not the DH, I can handle him). Answers on a postcard please......:D

i have used pork in a curry before though I find its more suited to a tomato based one balti/rogan josh rather then a creamy one korma/tikka edible but just not quite right.
    how about a stirfry just chuck in whatever veg you have and a bit of sauce?
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all,
    Just a quick post to remind everyone that the £5 off £30 is in the mirror today.Some vouchers for 30% off several things as well.Pork lion or gammon joints,normally 2.99 lookgood tome.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Coxy11 wrote: »

Indian pork curry is a regular feature in Indian menus.

Season: All year
    Serves: 2
    This recipe is low-fat.
    Hits: 396

Found this on net recipes sorry could not post link. Just google Indian Pork Curry.

I may be wrong but I think it is only a certain religion that does not eat pork, but cant remember which one.
    Slimming World at target
  • edited 26 January 2012 at 10:30AM
    JARUSJARUS Forumite
    125 posts
    edited 26 January 2012 at 10:30AM
    Hi I am also a member of the Don't Throw Food away challenge and had posted this recipe on there, and thought people on this thread would like it as well.

Cheesy Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe

INGREDIENTS
    6 slices white bread (stale bread works really well)
    20g butter
    Marmite
    100g grated cheese
    3 eggs
    250mls semi skimmed milk
    Freshly ground pepper

You will need a medium sized oven proof dish.
    Pre-heat oven to gas mark 4 or 180C

METHOD
    1 Butter the bread and then spread on marmite. Cut slices of bread into 4.
    2 Lightly beat eggs.
    3 Whisk the mixture and season with pepper.
    4 Dip each piece of bread into the egg mixture and cover the base of the oven proof dish. Sprinkle this layer with some of the grated cheese and follow with another layer of bread and then cheese until both used up.
    5 Pour any remaining egg mixture over the top.
    6 Put in pre heated oven and let it bake for 30 minutes until it has turned golden on top.

Serve with cherry tomatoes or baked beans.

Hope you enjoy and it becomes a favourite.xx
    :jCross stitch cards completed 2010 -1
    £2 savers club 2012 #174 £16 Jan (saving for Christmas 2012)
    Don't Throw Food Away Challenge 2012 January £9.35/£5 February£8.59/£10 Annual £13.89/£75
    Aim Stash down to 250 items (currently 450 items) UU5/IN1 Jan, UU0/IN1 Feb
    Grocery Challenge £165.55/£290 Feb Annual budget /£3660
  • JARUSJARUS Forumite
    125 posts
    Hi another one that I posted on Don't Throw Food Away Challenge, that I thought everyone on here might enjoy.

Monday night rice
    SERVES 2-3
    PREP 15MINS
    COOK 15MINS

INGREDIENTS
    2TBSP OIL
    1 EGG, BEATEN WITH 2TBSP WATER
    1 ONION, CHOPPED
    2 GARLIC CLOVES CHOPPED
    1 HEAPED TBSP CURRY POWDER
    2 TBSP TOMATO KETCHUP
    85G/30Z FROZEN PEAS
    250G/90Z LEFTOVER CHICKEN OR PORK SHREDDED INTO STRIPS
    GOOD SPLASH SOY SAUCE

METHOD

1 HEAT HALF THE OIL IN A PAN. POUR IN BEATEN EGG SWIRL AROUND THE PAN AND LEAVE TO SET FOR 1 MINUTE. FLIP LIKE A PANCAKE AND LET IT COOK ON OTHER SIDE. TIP ONTO PLATE.
    2 HEAT THE REMAINING OIL IN SAME PAN. TIP IN ONION AND COOK 3-4 MINUTES, THEN STIR IN GARLIC, CURRY POWDER AND KETCHUP. STIR IN PEAS FOR 2 MINS, THE TIP IN RICE, COOKED MEAT AND 100ML WATER. COOK FOR 5-6 MINUTES STIRRING UNTIL PIPING HOT.
    3 SHRED THE OMELETTE INTO STRIPS AND STIR INTO RICE WITH SOME SOY SAUCE.

ENJOY

I ACTUALLY BOUGHT A PACK OF COOKED VALUE TIKKA CHICKEN FROM MR T'S - this added to the spiciness and we ahad it with salad, yoghurt and mango chutney-yum yum

bon appetit xx
    :jCross stitch cards completed 2010 -1
    £2 savers club 2012 #174 £16 Jan (saving for Christmas 2012)
    Don't Throw Food Away Challenge 2012 January £9.35/£5 February£8.59/£10 Annual £13.89/£75
    Aim Stash down to 250 items (currently 450 items) UU5/IN1 Jan, UU0/IN1 Feb
    Grocery Challenge £165.55/£290 Feb Annual budget /£3660
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi...another nsd today possibly.....i got some lamb steaks for tea...i think i might cube them up and serve in a pitta bread ...kids are having sausages as they arent very keen on lamb....also have a rice pudding i made yesterday

i need to have a look at what is on offer at lidl this week...also need some fruit and veg

take care tess
    onwards and upwards

• Thinking about whoopsies, I never seem to get such good ones as some people mention, and I wondered whether people might be willing to mention the time they shopped when they post about getting good whoopsies? It might help those of us who are unsure when to go, or whether we're going at the right time. I find if I'm too early, the discounts aren't very big, but if I'm too late, everything's gone, it would really help me to suss out when's best and get my timing right. Just a thought, don't know if others would think it useful?

It seems to vary so much, when I got mine yesterday it was just after 6pm, but the meat still wasn't marked down much at all, it was the other fresh food that was a bargain for once :) Sometimes I've been in the SM at about 4pm and there have been some great bargains, my biggest problem is that I don't drive so its not that often I'm able to get many whoopsies or go to different shops, hence I get a little bit excited when I'm actually there at the right time to get a bargain :rotfl:

NSD today :j
    Grocery challenge : January 2016 £65.86/£300
    For 2 adults, 2 children (10 & 9 yrs) 3 cats & 2 dogs.