Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

January 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 289

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 December 2011 at 2:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.3K replies 330.2K views

Replies

• Menu plan this week: (Must make it a No spend week!):j

Breakfasts - cereals or porridge or egg 'n' soldiers:D

Lunches - HM broccoli soup or cheese and chutney butties or freezer soups or fish finger butties (yum!)

Thursday dinner : HM potato cakes with HM ratatouille and roasted goats cheese (whoopsied at christmas :eek:but still looks and tastes good)

Friday dinner: Individual quiches made from remainder ratatouille and whoopsie spring roll pastry (like filo!) served with butternut squash risotto (no parmesan so will try goats cheese crumbled in instead)

Saturday dinner: HM pasta bolognaise from freezer and HM garlic bread

Sunday dinner: Roast chicken, stuffing and fridge veg followed by apple pielets (use left over spring roll pastry)

Monday dinner: chunky chicken soup with pearl barley (made from yesterdays carcas and left over veg) and crusty (I hope) HM wholemeal bread

Sorted!:cool:

No excuses to go to shops.... we drink black tea anyway :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    DFWNerd 1417
    MFW by 2018 Jan 2012 £186,000 :eek: Sept 2015 £50,000
  • I wondered whether people might be willing to mention the time they shopped when they post about getting good whoopsies? It might help those of us who are unsure when to go, or whether we're going at the right time. I find if I'm too early, the discounts aren't very big, but if I'm too late, everything's gone, it would really help me to suss out when's best and get my timing right. Just a thought, don't know if others would think it useful?

Hi

I just asked at my local Ald* :eek:- they smiled and told me that if they didnt have time to do it just before they closed then it was the first job of the morning before they opened- not sure if its the same everywhere.

HTH:)
    DFWNerd 1417
    MFW by 2018 Jan 2012 £186,000 :eek: Sept 2015 £50,000
  • carolinerunnercarolinerunner Forumite
    621 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Thanks Kylie, that's surprisingly early compared to what I expected, and tbh I don't even think of whoopsies there, more at the big sm's, so that's a new one for me. Around here they seem to vary between about 3 or 4pm and about 6pm for first reductions, depending on the day of week, the time they will close and the individual shop, then there are second reductions which are they really good ones and they seem to come later... it's tricky!
    Erratically money saving
  • edited 26 January 2012 at 12:07AM
    ByattByatt Forumite
    3.5K posts
    edited 26 January 2012 at 12:07AM
    Elizabunny, do complain, I got a £6.50 voucher from He1nz last week for a tin that smelt and tasted odd and they were really nice about it.

Added yesterday and today's shops in, yesterday was top ups of milk plus a few whoopsies, and health food shop for porridge, wheatgerm and glucosamine tablets, trying to stave off the family arthritis. Then did a £40 Co-*p shop today to get the £4 off but it meant there wasn't time to go elsewhere as well and had to buy some things there that were dearer, probably ate up about half the £4... but all useful long term stuff and mostly at good prices to begin with so don't feel to bad about it. Until DH said, when I pointed out we were on target to hit our budget, that it was all pretty pointless as we have no income and hence everything we spend is out of our savings - ie he thinks its just rearranging the deckchairs - great!

Thinking about whoopsies, I never seem to get such good ones as some people mention, and I wondered whether people might be willing to mention the time they shopped when they post about getting good whoopsies? It might help those of us who are unsure when to go, or whether we're going at the right time. I find if I'm too early, the discounts aren't very big, but if I'm too late, everything's gone, it would really help me to suss out when's best and get my timing right. Just a thought, don't know if others would think it useful?

It can vary such a lot; I haven't totally got the hang of it, but now know certain Mr T's (I have to travel further for other stores) will reduce a lot of things whilst others will reduce but only by a small amount.

Anyway, I went to Morries on Tuesday around 2.30ish, and picked up a few random whoopsies. Then went to Mr T's in a large town around 3.30ish and picked up loads of stuff for half price or less. (they were reducing them even more as I stood there). Meat and pizzas. Like you said, if it's late in the day you risk everything having gone. You need to get to know your shop(s) local to you. It's not easy and you do need to keep trying.

I will try testing out Wa!trose in the next couple of weeks as I will be driving past a few times.

The only time I got stuff for pence was Christmas Eve late, and that wasn't much, but I was happy enough. Got some fantastic belly pork pieces for a £1 (finest at £4) which were stunning!

Good luck; hth a little.
  • edited 26 January 2012 at 12:11AM
    NickJWNickJW Forumite
    678 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 26 January 2012 at 12:11AM
    Spend of £12.20 in Mr T today - few yellow sticker items - pork chops, steak and quiches, but mainly toiletries such as shampoo, mouthwash and toothpaste.

Also £4.80 on a Chinese takeaway tonight! :mad: Getting a new boiler in the house along with new radiators etc. Its FREEZING in the house because there is no heating and also the gas connection is down, so I was lazy and opted for the takeaway rather than get back on the tube to the SM. I will be getting money back from the landlord because apparently it's a legal requirement to reimburse rent if there is no heating, but I will include this in GC and use any reimbursed money on a clothing treat for myself :D. It won't be fixed until Friday so I will have either a bigger meal at lunch tomorrow or micro meal for dinner tomorrow night. Bit annoying, but things happen.
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011 :T
  • ChesChes Forumite
    1.1K posts
    I only have £2.22p left from this weeks budget but as I am aiming for a NSD tomorrow it should be OK.

Please put me down for £50 per week in February thank you.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot. :think:
  • ostaragirl wrote: »
    As a newbie to MSE I'm just starting out on here but so far have started the sealed pot challenge and have been saving my grocerie receipts since Jan 13th and I'm also noting down toiletry/cleaning stuff spends.
    I was just pondering this, there are just the 2 of us and we are foodies with healthy appetites and like to cook everything from scratch. Are there any others who are just buying for a couple and if so what is your average monthly spend? I'm trying to guage how cheaply a couple can live. TBH we are quite frugal anyway but I'm trying to make changes as I tend to shop little and often and this is the first time I've ever kept a track of what I'm spending, I was beginning to wonder if by shopping like I do I was overspending, and had no idea of what was going out on shopping and if I should just to a one shop a week?. Any insight appreciated.
    There are two of us and I cook from scratch. I make our own bread/make muffins and pastry. I have set £100 for this - my first GC month. I did have a good stock of food already though. We have a dog.
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • Thanks for all the suggestions re treats. Will give muffins a go.
    Small spend today. This is start of my annual budget so signature updated. Going to go to Aldis tomorrow and do a big shop. Have never really used much before but going to give it a go.
    Yearly Grocery Budget - £100.77/ £3500. January Treats Budget - £11.80 / £100.
  • Here is the Chicken Stir Fry I made this evening - it was really yummy.
    6762741833_48d59abdfe.jpg

I used 1 white onion/1 red onion/3 shallots/7 cloves garlic/4 tomatoes/1 carrot/ 1 green pepper/1 stick celery/3 large mushrooms and some cooked chicken pieces. I added some black pepper/a dash of hot chilli sauce and rinsed out an apple vinegar jar into the wok. Cost - for two of us plus there is a portion left - about £1.50.
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • majjakmajjak Forumite
    380 posts
    Morning all

NSD yesterday :j.

Need to get a tiny bit of shopping today to see me through until the end of the month, but should come in on budget, or just over. I don't mind though as I've managed to keep stocking up on a few things within the amount I set at the beginning of January :D.

Thinking ahead, me and DH are off to Edinburgh for a few days in Feb half term (kids are going to mums ;):p and then we're staying after we get back for a few days too) so I'll have about a week where I don't buy any food. :T

However, I do think I'll keep my budget the same, as I started January off with quite a bit left over from Xmas and a full freezer and cupboards ! I plan to use the 'extra' to stock up a bit more to give me a head-start in March. Edinburgh spending etc is taken out of another budget.

Still not declaring just yet :rotfl:
    Save £12K challenge 2015 # 173
    £0.00/£10,000