Allied Dunbar Lifestyle Plus Critical Illness Lifetime Protection

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
3 replies 5.3K views
LaibachLaibach Forumite
3 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
I have a full life crtical illness protection policy with Allied Dunbar which provides a benefit of £114,000 on diagnosis of a critical illness or death, for a premium of £94 per month.

This has been sold to me on the basis that it will help with inheritance tax planning (one day...as I am only 35, but have had the plan for 3 years) in that it is guaranteed to pay out one day, in the event that I do not need to make an earlier claim and so either I or my family will one day recover more than the total of all the premiums (say £94 pm x 12 x 48 years, to age 80).

However, my friends are not convinced and I have been unable to find much by way of research as to the merits or otherwise of these types of policies. Any views would be much welcomed? Thanks

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    This has been sold to me on the basis that it will help with inheritance tax planning

Critical illness cover doesnt help with inheritance tax planning.
    However, my friends are not convinced and I have been unable to find much by way of research as to the merits or otherwise of these types of policies.

The merits of critical illness cover are strong but Allied dunbar will be damned expensive. At 35 you are beginning to enter the period when critical illnesses are more common but the reason for IHT planning seems a bit strange.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • LaibachLaibach Forumite
    3 Posts
    Thanks - I agree, it is well worth having critical illness cover but when I have had quotes for similar amounts of cover, but just to retirement age, the premiums are considerably less. With this, while it is expensive now, and I suspect will become considerably more expensive in the future, at least (if I keep it till I die) it will pay out one day. What I am concerned about is whether with inflation it is really worth keeping (£114,000 in say 35 - 40 years wont be worth much) and should I, at age 35, really care about IHT, or should I just cancel this and go for a straightforward critical illness policy to 65-ish, at probably half the cost?
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    We dont know enough about the AD policy to say for sure but my gut feeling would be that you could do better with a modern plan.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides