Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

January 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 244

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 December 2011 at 2:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.3K replies 330.2K views

Replies

• edited 20 January 2012 at 8:44AM
    tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 20 January 2012 at 8:44AM
    This was a new one for us. I made the meatballs and the yoghurt mix in the morning and bunged it in the fridge for dinner time. Just made it easier for later timewise.

This serves four but you can stretch it to five.
    Put a 700g pack of mince in a bowl with 2tsp chili powder (adjust to how spicy you like things), 2 cloves of garlic-chopped ( or to taste), season with salt and pepper. Mix together well. Make into walnut size balls.

Chop half a cumbuber into small bits and mix with 300ml yoghurt and season well.

Heat some oil in a pan and bung 2 chopped cloves of garlic in with 300gms rice and mix together and fry for 30secs. Add 900ml veg stock ( I use Bisto Best), simmer for 15 mins or until almost all the liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked.

Meanwhile heat some oil in a pan and cook the meatballs in batches over a medium heat. Remove from pan and keep warm.

Add a couple of handful of peas to the rice and cook until heated through. Stir in zest and juice of a lemon and season well.

Serve the meatballs on the rice with the yoghurt mix spooned over.

Clean plates all round in the TF household. If I had MSE more DH would have quite happily scoffed them.

REMEMBER TO CHECK ALL INGREDIENTS BEFORE USING AS THEY CAN CHANGE OVER TIME.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • £153.48 spent so far this month and off to my first farmers market this morning. Seem to be getting through the bread flour pretty quickly (made a fab naan bread this week on top of the usual muffins/ breads) - anyone know where this can be bought in bigger bags?
    Grocery Challenge 2012 :)
    January £300
    (Us two, 2 kids, 2 cats and 1 rabbit)
  • Managed an NSD yesterday :j hoping for another today, just depends if I can eke out the milk till tomorrow morning, should manage it if I have a couple of black coffees rather than adding milk.

Need to sit down and get shopping list sorted today as well, think I have meal plan all sorted though.
    February Grocery Challenge - £100.87/£180
    February Don't Throw Food Away Challenge - £0.60/£1.50
  • morning all
    nsd again yesterday havent been shopping since monday!!!
    leek and quorn pie for tea last night and jacket pots for dinner
    sweet potato and goats cheese pie for tea tonight and rice for dinner.
    promised a friend ill bake cakes for her DDs party tomorrow, going to bake this afty and ice tomorrow morning so planing on doing some twinks hobnobs at the same time to fill our tin for the weekend.
    got to go out to the hole in the wall in a bit so will drop of christmas cards and batteries for recycling and then do my shopping list for tomorrow
    have a good weekend all
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi...got chicken for tea tonight so not much to do except a bit of peeling...think i will do some fruit for pudding
    off to lidl tomorrow as want to geta few bits for our chinese new year meal also might get some of the pasta sauce

planning a nsd today but u never know:eek:
    tess
    onwards and upwards
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    morning all, i had been thinking we don't drink enough milk, i've cut down to buying one 2 litre a week, which is mostly drank by ds3 the older 2 get milk twice in school and yogurts so they do get dairy, i mentioned this to hubby and he agreed so we drank a whole bottle with tea, i'm gonna nip soon and get 6 litres for over the weekend and some spuds from the farm shop in abit

we're having roast something for tea, i think it's pork shoulder, either that or gammon cause i never buy beef (far too expensive) will dig out some turnip from the freezer to go with it and serve with mash, roasties and yorkshires :)
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
  • tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    morning all
    nsd again yesterday havent been shopping since monday!!!
    leek and quorn pie for tea last night and jacket pots for dinner
    sweet potato and goats cheese pie for tea tonight and rice for dinner.
    promised a friend ill bake cakes for her DDs party tomorrow, going to bake this afty and ice tomorrow morning so planing on doing some twinks hobnobs at the same time to fill our tin for the weekend.
    got to go out to the hole in the wall in a bit so will drop of christmas cards and batteries for recycling and then do my shopping list for tomorrow
    have a good weekend all

Please can we have the recipe for sweet potato and goat cheese pie, thank you :D
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • edited 20 January 2012 at 12:28PM
    MeadowsMeadows Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    edited 20 January 2012 at 12:28PM
    Got a big bag (5kg) Basmati Rice in Lidl yesterday £4.99, that will last us a while (was tempted to get two but thought NO one will last you and by the time it is gone it will be on offer again somewhere :))
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • dobsdobs Forumite
    517 posts
    hi everyone, not posted for a few days as was managing not to spend but hubs did pop out for milk and managed to spend over a tenner on unk food and drink grr! So as we r nearly out of loo rolls and other basics i won't be able to keep it under 200 this month :( only got just under three pounds left of my budget, think i will be going shopping with him next month, i'm usually banned but it seems to me i'm not the only one getting extras lol! Have a great day x
    grocery challenge jan 17 £ / 350.00
  • Morning all

Chiprchick - you can join in with us at any time - I'll post your Feb total now [with a F beside it so I know to carry it over]

totals done to here

helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j