January 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 December 2011 at 2:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.3K replies 330.7K views

Replies

• raphaniusraphanius Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    todays 'bits' came to £8.11 in Mr T's for yellow sticker bread, garlic bread, tomatoes, coleslaw, chedds plus weetabix with MOC and full price cheddars and value choccie digestives for DS and value mozzarella. £2 in poundshop for jordans porridge and polo mints.
    Wins: 2008: £606.10 2009: £806.24 2010: £713.47 2011: 328.32
  • edited 16 January 2012 at 4:59PM
    Save_DoshSave_Dosh Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 16 January 2012 at 4:59PM
    Meadows & Sproggi I never thought about freezing when u just CBA, and my mind is now ticking over with the stuffed cabbage, thanks very much.

Ixia
    it doesn't matter if you don't come in on budget, you haven't lost, at least you bothered to try.

Oh yes and also had a white cabbage, half of one has been made into weightwatchers friendly coleslaw, which was surprisingly quick to make and works out at about 2 points for a large container, using lighter than light mayonnaise
    August GC - Food £55.56/£80 Alcohol £17.24/£20
    Bulk Funds - Food £19.73 -
    Save 12k in 2019 £1,300/£5,000 - #155
  • ModestyBModestyB Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all, just realised I had the money back off DS for the milk I picked up for him so I can actually take £6 off the total of my spends. Yay! My budget's in better shape than I am. :T:D
    Hugs to all.
    S.P.C. 9 2016 No. 062 Banked £337.50
    My Gold Stars off Sue. :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin:staradmin :staradmin
  • LisaJaneLisaJane Forumite
    355 posts
    Spent £2.34 in the local fruit and veg shop on brocolli, lettuce, tomato and cucumber...I have plenty in the freezer etc but really needed to top up on veg...will probably need to top up on fruit later in the week, but might try and get some whoopsies tonight/tomorrow night!

Still over budget and dying for payday to come but on a happier note, my dad gave me a cheque today for £60 to cover Christmas presents for mum that I had gone out and got for him...completely forgot that he owed me, so it was a nice surprise!! Should definitely keep me going until payday, I could even head out at the weekend perhaps. 14 days til payday......
    Save 12k in 2014 (my target: £10 000):
    My savings: £4878.54/£7000
    Joint account savings: £2685.57/£3000
    Total:£7564.11/£10 000 (as at 26/10/14)
  • sproggisproggi Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    Cabbage recipes please ok i have a couple of the very green cabbages to use up, i always buy them cause they are cheap, but don't use. I have got some savoury crumble topping, so i was going to cook with bacon, add a white pepper sauce and top with the crumble. Can you think of anything else, as they are quite cheap to buy at moment

Found a site that should give you plenty of ideas :)

http://www.cabbagerecipes.co.uk/

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • edited 16 January 2012 at 6:19PM
    Ninno820Ninno820 Forumite
    765 posts
    edited 16 January 2012 at 6:19PM
    Hi folks - having just read the latest posts I might just have to pop out and buy the mirror. Just popping in to report £4.74 on bits

ETA - just bought the mirror and will pop along this weekend to morrisons. The trouble is that the mirror cost me another £4.09 (dont ask!)
    44 day challenge

1. Pay £650 off overdraft (£ 288/ £650)
    2. Lose 12 lbs (4.5/ 12)
    3. Use YNAB everyday (6/44)
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Took some items to the municipal tip today and there is a small MrT opposite. Very impressed with the range of products and amount of parking. Almost preferred it to the Extra store 200 yrds from my front door lol!

Total spend: £43.31.

Special K bars, 5 pack (3 different varieties) on offer in Mr T for 99p if anyone's interested.

Off to update sig.
    Cross-stitch WIP: A Pair Tree by Susan Hillis Designs
    Crochet WIP: Dune blanket from Attic24
  • Hi,
    A FEW SPENDS FROM THIS WEEKEND TO ADD>
    Aldi £3.50 on super 6
    Coop £8.00 on whoopsies
    M&S £23 meal deal, whoopsies for freezer, used vouchers etc.
    Looking good to come in around my target, but need cola and see it is 1/2 price at Mr T's, so may make a trip tomorrow.
    Hope all are well and warm. Sausage, chips and beans for tea!! Loving comfort food!!!
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    sproggi, I've added your Stuffed cabbage leaves to the recipe index :beer:
    Meadows, I've added your Basic Bread and Colcannon recipes too :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • bunbun2bunbun2 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    totallybored thank you for the recipe. I haven't had time to make them today but will try and make time tomorrow
    saving for ds2's summer international scout camp - £200
    £60 deposit paid :j £100 paid:j £40 paid:j