Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

January 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 218

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 December 2011 at 2:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.3K replies 330.2K views

Replies

• ByattByatt Forumite
    3.5K posts
    raphanius wrote: »

Thanks so much; I was searching for ages on the forums! They look great and a fantastic way to use up my parsnips. :D
  • recovering_spendaholicrecovering_spendaholic Forumite
    3.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I apologize if you all know about this book already, but I got amazon vouchers for Christmas and have just bought a meal planning book - BBC Good Food - the family meal planner. It is really good and I would recommend it to (particularly new) all GC'ers - IT has loads of hints and tips about storecupboards, bulk cooking and so on and there are some lovely recipes, with alot of veggie ones too. It gives several 7 days plans and is divided into 6 chapters - Batch cooking and instant dinners, Weekday suppers and leftover ideas, Budget family dinners, Freezer and storecupboard meals, Weekend Feasts and the actual meal planners themselves. I have only made a few of the recipes but they have all been nice (Tuna wedges melt, veggie shephers pie with sweet potato mash, leek and butterbean gratin, Red flannel hash and tortilla and bean salad. It's £9 new on Amazon with free p&p but you can get it in Costco for £4.98 and there are loads of used ones on Amazon for £3 ish.

Will be using up leftovers for tonight's meal as I made a big roast dinner yesterday and lunch will just be a sandwich. I am not going to the supermarket today as we really do not need anything! You all seem to be doing better than me!!!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • SueP19SueP19 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭
    (stands up) MY NAME IS MEDUSASMUMMY AND I AM A SPEND/SHOPAHOLIC!! I PLEDGE BEFORE ALL OF YOU LOVELY SUPPORTIVE PEOPLE NOT TO SPEND A SINGLE PENNY (except on petrol) UNTIL AT LEAST FRIDAY(when we'll probably run out of bread)

Love the pledge and noted :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Good Luck
    Mort Oct 15 [STRIKE]£70,353[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66,422[/STRIKE] £58,804 MF [STRIKE]Dec 31[/STRIKE] Jun 31([STRIKE]191[/STRIKE] 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 £700/£1,000 Debt [STRIKE]May 09 £30,217[/STRIKE][STRIKE]Oct 17 £14,093[/STRIKE]Nov 18 £6,336.12[/B]
  • edited 16 January 2012 at 2:58PM
    Save_DoshSave_Dosh Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 16 January 2012 at 2:58PM
    need to save yes like suggested taking it out of next months budget is good, or you could do what some people do, operate a second purse. Basically, you have bought that sfuff with your second purse, when you go to use it, you put the money it would have cost full price back into the purse, basically you are buying it off yourself when you need it, thereby keeping on budget, but also adding to an extra purse, which can build up and in future buy further offers. Im sure someone can explain it better than me.

Cabbage recipes please ok i have a couple of the very green cabbages to use up, i always buy them cause they are cheap, but don't use. I have got some savoury crumble topping, so i was going to cook with bacon, add a white pepper sauce and top with the crumble. Can you think of anything else, as they are quite cheap to buy at moment
    August GC - Food £55.56/£80 Alcohol £17.24/£20
    Bulk Funds - Food £19.73 -
    Save 12k in 2019 £1,300/£5,000 - #155
  • MeadowsMeadows Forumite
    4.5K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee! Hung up my suit! Xmas Saver!
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    Cabbage recipes please ok i have a couple of the very green cabbages to use up, i always buy them cause they are cheap, but don't use. I have got some savoury crumble topping, so i was going to cook with bacon, add a white pepper sauce and top with the crumble. Can you think of anything else, as they are quite cheap to buy at moment

You could blanch chopped cabbage, squeeze out all the water and then freezer either in balls or flat and break up while freezing to use either with a meal or in a recipe later.

Try Colcannon to use some cabbage.

675g potatoes, peeled and quartered
    100g curly kale, chopped (or Spring cabbage if kale not available))
    1/2 cup scallions/spring onions, roughly chopped
    1/4 cup scallions/spring onions, finely chopped
    100g butter
    salt and pepper

Simmer the potatoes in lightly salted water until cooked - when pierced with a sharp knife the potato is soft in the middle.
    Blanch the curly kale in boiling water for one minute. Drain and reserve.
    Chop half of the spring onions roughly and the other half finely. Add the roughly chopped scallions/ spring onions to the drained kale and pulse in a blender for 10 seconds.Drain the potatoes and add the butter. When the butter has melted, mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy. Add the kale mixture and mix.
    Finally, add the finely chopped scallions/spring onions and season to taste.
    Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
  • sproggisproggi Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Needed to get some milk and bits, was going to try and hold out until tomorrow, but sis wanted me to get her a couple of things from Mr T, so did mine today too.

Milk,apples, lettuce, body spray (on offer) and bread. So annoyed with myself because I was rushing around and didn't check my receipt, it was only when I had got home and was sorting my purse, that I realised I had been charged for 2 loaves of bread instead of 1 :mad: I have added the overcharge into my budget because at the end of the day, the money still came out of my groceries, but that negates half of the saving I made in the body spray :mad: So £13.69 added.
    After all that, they didn't have either of the things that my sister wanted anyway :doh:

On the plus side, mum has given me a huge bag of home grown leeks,plus some carrots and a cabbage the size of a football! from the shed shop :D

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • sproggisproggi Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Stuffed cabbage leaves:

approx 16 cabbage leaves (depending on size)
    around half a cup of rice that has been very lightly cooked
    2tbsps oil (olive/sunflower)
    1 large chopped onion (or leeks work)
    1lb mince (beef,pork and lamb all work well)
    pinch of herbs
    1 pint stock (I sometimes substitute with tinned tomatoes)
    2 bay leaves
    2 tsps chopped parsley for garnish

Place cabbage leaves into boiling water and simmer (covered) for 2-3 mins, drain and leave to cool

Stir fry the onion in the oil until transparent.

Mix the mince, onion, rice and herbs(not bay) together.

Lay out cabbage leaves (if they are small overlap 2) put spoonful of filling into each leaf, then fold sides of leaf into middle and roll into small parcels.

Place the parcels side by side into an ovenproof dish so that they are tight together, if the dish is too large, you can use things like carrots to fill in the gaps.

Bring stock to boil and pour over the parcels, add bay leaves, cover and cook for approx 1 hour 350F/180C/mark 4.

I serve them on a bed of rice or cous cous and cover with something like a mushroom or tomato sauce.

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi all getting a cold (seem to be having a real run of it) so i spent £7.29 in boots, and £2 in poundland as a bribe for the kids, tonights dinner is chicken breasts, mash and sweetcorn with gravy and then i need an early night
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
  • quintwins wrote: »
    hi all getting a cold (seem to be having a real run of it) so i spent £7.29 in boots, and £2 in poundland as a bribe for the kids, tonights dinner is chicken breasts, mash and sweetcorn with gravy and then i need an early night

If you have a Wilkinsons near you I can recommend their own brand max strength cold and flu relief capsules. Less than £1 for 8 doses and they work. Their tissues are cheaper than Boots too.
    Jan GC £96.95/£120; NSD 26/31
    Feb GC £113.19/£120: NSD 24/29
    Mar GC £54.22/£150 NSD 10/12

2012 Aim - To clear credit cards in 2012
  • ixiaixia Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Just a quick update from me.

I have kind of lost track of receipts and what I have spent this month everything a bit all over the place. :mad:

I am sure I am still within budget for now but don't know abput the rest of the month.

I am going to quit for this month and make a fresh start in Feb, I did buy a mirror today to get £5 voucher for morrisons.

Anyway, good luck to you all for the rest of the month :)