January 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 December 2011 at 2:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.3K replies 331.5K views

Replies

• majjakmajjak Forumite
    380 Posts
    Ninno820 wrote: »
    Welcome - this tread has really helped me reduce my food budget so good luck!

I have been pondering about this second purse and think that I understand it now. My problem was not having the spare cash in the first place to stock up on the bargains but I have just had a lightbulb moment in the bath:T
    Upstairs I have a small stash of winter warmers - ie tins and packets to tide me over if we got snowed in. My plan is to make a list of this stash and find out the current price - gradually paying the cash into my second purse as and when the items are used - thereby creating a second purse from nothing - what do you think? It should work shouldn't it?:p

Sounds like a plan Ninno :idea: :T
    Save £12K challenge 2015 # 173
    £0.00/£10,000
  • Been to Mr T, Mr S, Fa*mfoods & Hom*bargains & the market today. Stocked up on tuna in Hom*bargains at 4 tins for £2.99 and luckily had enough cash to pay as it was really busy in there & just as I got to the checkout they announced over the tannoy that due to an electrical fault, they could accept cash only. Wish I had got more fruit though but a) I had used most of my cash in Hom*bargains & b) I really couldn't carry much more. I did 3 trips to & fro back to the car, once for Mr T, once for Far*foods, Hom*bargains & the market and once for petfood & hay!
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Second shopping spree of the month which came to £223,90 for me, my cats and bunnies. Won't need much rabbot or cat food next week but will need laundry liquid. Enjoying this challenge.:j

Think that must be a typo as its almost double your budget.
    Slimming World at target
  • mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it looks like theres an extra 2 in there to me
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • totallyboredtotallybored Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Spent a whopping £107 today:eek: this did include quite a few things for stock though.

M&S for dine in deals, got £45 of food for £20 so very happy. I got the chicken deal twice and managed to find chickens work £9.08 and £8.68, both over 2kg. One will do several meals and lunches this week and the other is in the freezer. I used a £5 off a £25 spend voucher and a gift card so I never spent any money. I'm adding the amount to by total and popping the £20 in my holiday fund though.

Went to L*dl for the rest of what I needed and spent £43 but this included 8 pork chops which were on offer at £1.90 for 4, 5 bags of bread flour for my new bread maker, 10 cartons of juice, 8 beers and 2 bottles of wine, 6 mozarellas as I now make my own pizza and a 7.5kg bag of potatoes for £2. I was amazed at how much stuff I got for so little!

Called in Sainsbobs as I needed cornmeal for a recipe and only spent £3. Thinking of going back tomorrow though as De Cecco linguine in half price and I should have got more than 2. Kicking myself for not getting about 10 of these.

Got home and decided to go to As*a for yeast and the 50p tomatoes. Ended up spending £33 but got 20 cans of tomatoes to stock up on as I'm going to be making my own tomato sauces for pizza etc, some soup and a couple of months stock of fizzy drink cans that were on offer at 8 for £2 for us both to take to work. Spent about £18 on these but it's much better than us both paying 80p each for a can while we're at work.

I'm now up to £153 this month out of my £250 budget but I've got loads more food in stock and don't need much for the rest of the month now.
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi...cold here today had to have a hot choc with cream and marshmellows earlier to warm me up.....went to lidl earlier and spent £20 but got quite a lot....got some of the chocolate that was 22p,some lemons and yogurt...oh and some dishwasher tabs

going to costco on monday to stock up on a few bits so that will cost a bit

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • jo84 wrote: »
    Should really enter quote but can't remember who said it earlier in thread but SM are not our friends. Was reminded of the today when one swiss role with 12 servings is £1 and 2x6 servings comes to 88p. Discovered this in Mr Ts today while shopping for trifle ingrediants. THis is not the first time I've seen this and I'm sure others notice it to...also 4 individual tins of Mr Ts own brand beans cheaper than 4 pack. Shoppers beware...thought it would be worth bringing to others attention.

Anyway, enough from me. I'm really enjoying this challenge and the support from the threada. Thanks to all.:j

Very true, I realised today that A*d*'s own organic cannellini beans are cheaper per KG than their basic range!

I havent got my reciept to hand but must report two spends one of approx £5.60 last night in Mr T's but did find that Philly 300g family pack is on offer for 97p, also got YS bananas for 52p as well as the rest of the ingredients i needed for a lemon and lime cheesecake. OH says its the best thing he has ever tasted!

Last night I also made the sausage, leek and apple pie from the recipe page... now I have to admit I was dubious but it was GORGEOUS.

Went to Mr A for food for the week for the two of us. Spent £15 but they had run out of beef meat joints. OH has said we can use his M&S vouchers to get one tomorrow.

Out of interest people have mentioned a £5 off £25 spend in M&S, is this something that can be printed out or did it come through the post?

Wishing you all a good evening, off to morph chilli into buritos for dinner and then some cheesecake!
    Jan GC £242.38/£250
    Feb GC £147.57 /£240
    2012 Clothes Challenge £97.50/£500
    Repay £5K in 2012 £254.17/£5000
    2012 NSD 14/200 (Jan 14)
  • SueP19SueP19 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I had antenatal depression because I had spd, then postnatal depression because my ex was having an affair (started while 8 months preg with my 2nd), then I had full on depression two years later because he was bullying me. I've been on loads of courses, and have come to realise I am a nice person who didn't deserve that, contrary to what he told me (!!), but it takes time. Work were really good, but thought I would go a bit funny again, as I had a miscarriage last year. Lots of the behaviours I have shown are a result of the bad times (like major stocking up), and although my youngest is now 5, it takes a long time to be ok again. For example, my weight fluctuates by up to 3 stone, depending on my mindset...

Anyhoo, onwards and upwards!! I am planning on shopping tomorrow, with 6 things on my list! If I stay out of sms today, this will be nsd number four-in-a-row! Nowhere near as amazing as JackieO, but great for me! Actually, just looked at my spending diary, and I've only been shopping three times this year, so that means 11nsds so far!!! I'm so proud of myself! This may have to go into my 'little book of positives' tonight!!

Have a good weekend all,

PG x

Ah sweetie hugs to ya......you have been through the mill, other people can be so cruel. My postnatal was bought on with 2nd child, our 1st died when I had pre-eclampsia and he was born early. It was when the consultants told me I could not have a baby naturally cos of my hips, went to pieces inside, then DD had whooping cough at 3 weeks old and stayed in hosp till she was 9 weeks, don't remember much of DD's first year

PS you DO sound a nice person, sh*t only happens to the best people :grouphug::grouphug:
    Mort Oct 15 [STRIKE]£70,353[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£66,422[/STRIKE] £58,804 MF [STRIKE]Dec 31[/STRIKE] Jun 31([STRIKE]191[/STRIKE] 176 mnths)
    EF 2016 £700/£1,000 Debt [STRIKE]May 09 £30,217[/STRIKE][STRIKE]Oct 17 £14,093[/STRIKE]Nov 18 £6,336.12[/B]
  • Just popping in to report my weekly spend of £55.18 - taking me ever nearer my total for the month. I had a bit more time and was shopping in the town where my mum lives so went to H B'gains, @ldi and [email protected] to do my shopping today. I seemed to get an awful lot for what I spent and I'm really hoping I'm done with cleaning stuff for the foreseeable. As I got into [email protected] they were just doing a 3rd reduction on the whoopsies so I got lots of meat so shouldn't need any more at all for the month. Fingers crossed I stay in budget because although I only grocery shop at weekends (unless serious emergency) there are two more before I get paid and I'm already at £169.50
    Ninja Saving Turtle
  • edited 14 January 2012 at 8:04PM
    minipenny_2minipenny_2 Forumite
    94 Posts
    edited 14 January 2012 at 8:04PM
    Hi all, sorry for not being around I've got a job interview next week so Ive been manic about that and just too busy to stop lol I havent read back far but hope everyone is ok and this month challenge is going well

some totals to add
    £21.86 - C0stc0
    £1.89 - forgot my lunch so had to buy :(
    £8.18 - Tesco
    So another £31.93 all in all

bought a couple bits from boots too (nappies mainly) but used my advantage card points so not going to add.....hope thats right..

Brings my total to £123.58 and we're halfway(ish) through the month......I think I may be on target here!

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals