January 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 December 2011 at 2:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.3K replies 331.5K views

Replies

• wmfwmf Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    £4 today on a frozen turkey, reduced at Sc0tmid. Was delighted with it as I wanted a chicken for Sunday. Should be defrosted by then, will roast then have lovely hot meals for a few days in the cold weather, also some for work sandwiches. Really needed to find something like this!
    W
  • cw18 wrote: »
    The other one I've used is B!g [email protected] F0r L3ss
    Thanks so much ...but just seen a MUCH better loo roll bargain on there :( 21p/roll! Still next time I can double check.

• mumsiemummumsiemum Forumite
    254 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    cw18 wrote: »
    Many thanks for this :)

I've never heard of the firm, but used the store locator and my closest is just over 8 miles from me..... could well be worth a trip out ;)

Does this kind of yeast freeze OK? It's not something I've ever thought to try. And it says on the webpage not to keep in a fridge - do you not have any problems from keeping it there?

TBH I didn't notice that! I always keep my dried yeast in the fridge - will be using it tomorrow so I'll let you know what happens :)
    February 2021 GC £301.45 / £300.00
    March 2021 GC £266.41 / £280.00
    April 2021 GC £53.19 / £300.00
  • Today has been a mad day _ I have spent £173.41 - gosh even reading it makes me feel sick. However, on the plus side - I used my supermarket to check the prices on my groceries to make sure I am not being ripped off - stuck to my list - and did a large Donald Russell order - so my fridge, freezer and cupboards are going to be full to the brim.
    I too have started the 2nd purse system and found (like somebody else posted) it strange to have cash in a little purse. I too bought some olive oil with this and also bought some ragu sauces half price - have started a little book, kept the receipts and feel strangely excited about it. Seems like I'm not the only one!!

Is Donald Russell good I was thinking of giving them a try.
    Yearly Grocery Budget - £100.77/ £3500. January Treats Budget - £11.80 / £100.
  • PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I've just seen the flier for a!di, and they have a halogen oven on for £29.99 for a 12 litre one. Are these ovens good? They had them on sale in morries the other week, and the checkout lady said they wre good, but she may have been a bit biased!! If you think they are good - what do you cook in them?!

TIA

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Fiasco55Fiasco55 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Another NSD for me today which brings me up to 6 NSDs in January. I have been having a nose around my freezer to see what I can make in advance and I am opting for pork burgers from the receipes list on here. So that will take care of my pork mince and onions on Sunday.

I will need to head out tomorrow as I am running low on flavoured water and I will have a look in M & $ for some yellow stickers.
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just seen the flier for a!di, and they have a halogen oven on for £29.99 for a 12 litre one. Are these ovens good? They had them on sale in morries the other week, and the checkout lady said they wre good, but she may have been a bit biased!! If you think they are good - what do you cook in them?!

TIA

PG x

I have found my halogen to be very good and I cook anything in it that I would normally cook in the big oven.
    Slimming World at target
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I managed another non spending day but - we are now out of dishwasher salt and rubber gloves - okay for food!
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • mandcomandco Forumite
    869 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭
    well yet more spends to declare leaving me approx 15% of the budget with over 50% of the month still to go :eek:
    a few unexpected needs and stocking up on a few bits account for about £60 of what i've spent so not so bad in the scheme of things

got enough in for most of next wk if only I can actually stay out of the shops but keep getting sucked in by the offers eg mr s 1/3 off baby stuff then buying stuff I dont really need or could wait just coz I'm there.both mr a & mr t are meant to be having baby offer wks starting next wk do the savings of the offers outweigh the overspend in the long run:think:

quintwins hope your ok

hope everyone has a good weekend
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
  • I have been meaning to post on the MSE board for a few years now and sort things out finally towards cutting the deby. Everyone always seemed be doing challenges that I just couldn't quite get to grips with and I obviously had not explored the forum enough to realise there are challenges like this one that really do suit family life and can make a BIG differance to reducing the debt. I know this is definately an area where I overspend and need a total rethink. So HELLO all .
    Extra Payment a Week Challenge: (joined 15.01.12) This week £27.34 /Total so far £42.34
    Pay off as much as i can in 2012: £222.34 / 5000
    FEB GC 11/200.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals