Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

January 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 145

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 December 2011 at 2:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.3K replies 330.2K views

Replies

• rej-crej-c Forumite
    115 posts
    I'm still reading - just about 20 pages further back! - so ducking in to add 2 NSDs for this weekend. Today I did intend to get a few things for next week's meals, but looking at the meal plan I realised we didn't need anything urgently, so I could leave it for a day or two and have a lazy day in the house instead [aside from the 20 minutes on Wii Fit. :j ]

It's 'beans etc on toast' [onions, mushrooms, slices of veg sausages etc] tomorrow night, and Him Indoors will now be out on Tuesday night, so I'll drop the SC stew and treat myself to something HM he's less keen on than I am - bubble and squeak maybe... ;)
    Haven't done the GC since February, but a glance at the Tower of Receipts tells me I really need to get back into it... and plenty of other Challenges besides. :o
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    medsdemon wrote: »
    Evening all. Was going to nip on to report a NSD but OH just came back from MrS with whoopsies and spent £3.50. A pasta salad pot for 40p for DD or mines pack up tomorrow, a paella for 99p for himself for lunch, a turkey breast roast for 99p for dinner tomorrow night with a bag of sliced leek and cabbage to go with it for 10p and a pack of cod fillets for 99p for the freezer for another night- battered cod bites and chips and peas, me thinks. I can't tell him off:D.

Planning a NSD tomorrow to put off big shop once again. Am short of fruit but we can have a can of peaches with yoghurt for breakfast, will make do.

So glad you didnt tell him off, a OH like that deserves a big hug.
    Slimming World at target
  • Linz4383Linz4383 Forumite
    318 posts
    Third Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Hi all, hope you've all had good weekends. I've had my children the whole weekend :) so I haven't been on here so much. We've had a lovely time. Yest did the main weekly shop, for £21 and some pennies, having been to the library first, so they both sat in the trolley reading all the way round!! Meant I didn't add any "Mummy can I haves" to the trolley.

Dinner yest was supposed to be hm pizza, but we got dragged to pizza h^t for lunch. We had a kids eat free voucher (7 kids, 6 adults), and my share of the bill ended up being £10.50. My mates laughed at the though, as when we were waiting for our pizzas to be cooked, i said that I was filling up on unlimited free salad and taking my pizza home for dinner. They found that funny, but carried on eating. Anyway, two massive bowls of salad later (only one with sauce - watching waistline!), I ate two pieces of a medium pizza, then we paid. The people at the other end of the table to me looked over and laughed, "Oh, you weren't joking then!! It'll do you for dinner, I suppose." I merely looked back at them, and said, yes, and lunch tomorrow!! I was comfortably full, and they were rolling out, having stuffed on salad AND pizza!

Dinner then ended up being tom soup, and dinner tonight was hm chicken nuggets - they love making those! I love that it feels unhealthy, but isn't at all! Have enough left over for them both to take some to school with a mini pot of ketchup.

NSD today, and prob tom too. Don't actually need anything at the moment, but I usually end up at a sm on a tues. A mate is coming over this week though, so may be able to avoid it, in which case may be able to go until Fri eve or sat before shopping again.

On the bad news front, my kitchen ceiling started leaking today. Not good, as it was only last month that my dining room ceiling was leaking!!! There'll be a bill for that tomorrow when the plumber (a mate) has been back to sort it out. Hopefully it'll be small, as this year I've already had to tax 2 vehicles and have 1 MOT done! :mad: And it's only the 8th!!!

PG x

hi could u tell me exactly how u do ur hm nuggets id love to try em, think my little girl would to :) thanks
  • edited 9 January 2012 at 10:26AM
    Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    4.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 January 2012 at 10:26AM
    bupster wrote: »
    Arg, the horror! I've actually run out of stuff!

Can anyone think of a cheap place to buy packets of seeds and nuts? Otherwise I've looked up the prices at my local food co-operative and they seem to be significantly cheaper than Sainsbobs, which is sort of annoying as I have a coupon for £2 off £20 that needs to be used up on Wednesday.

So next conundrum - what to buy at Sainsbobs? Or should I just let the coupon expire, as I have enough food for the rest of the week and plenty of stuff in the cupboard and freezer?

I usually buy nuts and seeds from Co-op - as you say, cheaper than many. I discovered they have 2 ranges; more expensive ones with baking stuff and cheaper ones with things like ginger and chillies in the green-grocery section. HTH

Holland & Barr*** have some offers on and an on-line service if none local - they typically do 125g from 1.99 and 500g for 4.49 Pumpkin seeds - not sure about delivery costs though...

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £2161.30/£5k 28.72% after Apr
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £863.93/£3k 28.8% so far at end of April
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 £7,678.12/£15,000 51.9%
    MFIT T5 No 2 £50,483/£59,998 or 84.14% paid after Q5
    My Debt Free Diary is here
  • edited 9 January 2012 at 12:36AM
    PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 9 January 2012 at 12:36AM
    Now that is my kind of eating out! Re your ceiling though-should you not claim on your buildings insurance?

To be honest, because it's my best mate's bloke, I'm sure it won't be much, and I don't like the idea of the house insurance going up or whatever because of losing no claims. It's all rubbish! He reckons it's a rubber seal that's gone that he has to replace. He has a key, and knows where the tea and biscuits are, so it's all good!
    Linz4383 wrote: »
    hi could u tell me exactly how u do ur hm nuggets id love to try em, think my little girl would to :) thanks

Hi - they're the easiest things in the world to make. You take a chicken breast, cut it with scissors into small bits. Get three small pots/side plates, and put flour onto one, 1 beaten egg onto another, and breadcrumbs onto the last. I'm rubbish and have a tub of breadcrumbs in the cupboard for this, but you could use your own, or my friend uses crushed up corn flakes. Then, take one piece of chicken, put into flour, then egg, then crumbs, making sure you turn it over to fully cover. Sometimes, i put a bit of chili powder/random herbs and spices in with the crumbs to give them a bit of zing. Cook for about 20 mins or so - I never time, I just open one up to see if it's done, then that becomes the tester one :D. LUSH! And so much better than c**p-filled ones from the freezer.
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    That's the first time I've ever multi-quoted - thanks to whoever it was (sorry, can't remember!) that taught us how to do it! x

PS Sig not yet updated, will do that when I've counted the pennies in my purse.
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Linz4383Linz4383 Forumite
    318 posts
    Third Anniversary
    ✭✭
    thanks penny grabber think ill take sum chicken out and do them ... hopefully shell like them as shes a fussy eater but shes took to nuggets at the moment and id prefer her to eat those rather than the c**p filled ones :) much better :)
  • Budgets done to here

Helen :]
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have just placed an order with approved foods as it is free delivery until Thursday. Wont update sig yet as sharing order and dont yet know what my share will be. Of particular interest to me is 800g tins of tomato paste for 40p, Britvic Cranberry juice 125ml 8p,seafood sauce 12 for £1.44 and 500g sesame oil 3 for 99p.Lots of other offers.
    Slimming World at target
  • morning all
    planning omlette at dinner time and quorn & leek pie for tea
    just off to to boys pack ups (mine go back to school today) then need to tackle some of ironing mountain
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind