Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

January 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 138

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 December 2011 at 2:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.3K replies 330.2K views

Replies

• sproggisproggi Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Linz4383 wrote: »
    hi guys.. does anyone have a recipe for a tomato soup at all?? my lil girl LOVES it .. but it has to be heinz :) she wont eat ne other! would love to be able to make and b able to freeze it into portion just the rite size for her :) thanks :D

I have found this thread that might help, it has LOADS of different receipes on it, so you will hopefully find one that your daughter will like.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=168427

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Linz4383Linz4383 Forumite
    318 posts
    Third Anniversary
    ✭✭
    sproggi wrote: »
    I have found this thread that might help, it has LOADS of different receipes on it, so you will hopefully find one that your daughter will like.

Sproggi

thankyou sproggi.. just avin a flick through now n saving sum recipes so when my shingles ave gone n i can go out to get the ingredients i shall give them a go.. hopefully ill find one she likes :D thanks :D
  • elly2elly2 Forumite
    556 posts
    ✭✭
    Morning all, NSD here today I cooked the chicken in the slowcooker overnight for dinner today and am making a chicken curry for tomorrows tea and would like to make it in the slowcooker but do i fry the mushrooms and onions first or just chuck them in raw ??. Had no luck with the corned beef but will see if h*rons have any of the sliced stuff as that may work out cheaper (will compare weights and prices tomorrow) have decided we must have hotpot on tues and nothing else will do. I will also dust the breadmaker off and make a loaf of bread (my panny has been sat on top of the cupboard for 6 months now) will need to buy some bread flour and yeast but i will use it at least once a week from now on (another personal challange).

• majjak wrote: »
    Twas me :D

Easy peasy to do, layer sausagemeat at the bottom of a glass baking dish (doesn't stick to the glass dishes), add a few herbs if you want to, our sausagemeat had them in already. Cook for 15 mins in oven. While that's cooking, make up some mashed potato. Take out sausagemeat from oven, pour over a couple of tins of baked beans, top with the mash and some grated cheese. Pop back in oven for another 10 mins or so. Voila ! Basically, sausages, mash and beans but in one pot - less washing up too ;).

Thanks for the recipe much appreciated am going to give this a go. I am never too old to cook something new.:)
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    good luck to all the stopping smokers :) i stopped nearly 6 years ago when i found out i was preg by the time i'd had my babies my cravings we're almost completely gone :)

we had chippy last night, i didn't even want one but hubby insisted, so i've told him no more til the freezers empty, i know we won't stick to that but it's worth a try

free lunch today at mil, and dinner will be the spag bol we didn't have last night
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi Chums still not spending any money or going near a shop.My freezer is my shop and my cupboards are getting a good inventory taken to use some of the stuff up.really pleased at how stern I have been with myself I have a big notice pinned up in the kitchen on the fridge saying ,"Eat before you think of going shopping"I have menu's sorted out for the next week and nothing at all to buy.
    Onwards and upwards chums
  • Today is going to be a NSD as I don't intend leaving my cave. I'm cooking a small ham joint atm that I bought at L*dl yesterday for £1.99 which will make some sandwiches for lunch, some left to take to work on Tues in sandwiches and a bit for my home made pizza tonight.
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday 123budget......have a lovely day:)
    Slimming World at target
  • Linz4383 wrote: »
    hi guys.. does anyone have a recipe for a tomato soup at all?? my lil girl LOVES it .. but it has to be heinz :) she wont eat ne other! would love to be able to make and b able to freeze it into portion just the rite size for her :) thanks :D

Hi Linz

My dd's love Heinz tomato soup and I found this recipe ages ago and they really like it and most people have the ingrediants in their cupboards.

1 x tin tomatoes
    1 x tin baked beans
    1 x tin carrots (drained)
    1 x large pickled onion (or about 4 small onions).

Blend all the above in a food processor or use a stick blender.

Add about 3/4 pint of chicken stock and heat up.

I know it sounds weird with the pickled onion but it does taste nice.

HTH

Tracey
    Officially debt free :j
  • I had a NSD yesterday as it was my birthday. My family treated me to a meal out for lunch and was really spoilt by my friends and family :)

Today I went to Mr T and spent £23.73 on milk, bread, bananas, broccoli, green beans, carrots, onions, rice etc.

I have been trying to keep the grocery cost down by meal planning from what I have already got in freezer and store cupboard and it seems to be working. Before MSE days I would have easily spent £150+ per week and thrown away alot of food that had gone off but no more. My budget is slowly coming down and I am being more inventive with meals and using up leftovers. So a big thank you to everyone on this thread :T

Tracey
    Officially debt free :j