'Don't be afraid to ask for wedding cash instead of gifts' blog discussion

12345679»

Replies

• Torry_QuineTorry_Quine Forumite
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Judobird wrote: »
    I am getting married July 2012 and I do not feel comfortable asking for gifts or otherwise. We have made the decision to get married and we have made the decision as to the nature of our ceremony and celebration so we don't feel any burden should be placed on our guests unnecessarily.

As such we will not be mentioning gift lifts, presents, money or otherwise. The invite will just state the date time location etc. I would rather not obligate my guests, there has been a recession a lot of people have lost their jobs/experienced wage reduction and they have their own finances to prioritise. If they are generous enough to get us a gift we will be very grateful, however we will not be disappointed and judge people for it if they do not get us anything.

That is a lovely attitude and I wish you well.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • edited 6 January 2012 at 2:31PM
    hobbzyhobbzy Forumite
    1 Post
    edited 6 January 2012 at 2:31PM
    My fiancee and I are getting married in July 2012 and are in the process of planning a wedding that we can pay for. (Or should I say working out what we can and can't have.)

Whilst searching for some budget wedding ideas I came across the post on the MoneySavingsExpert website and found the article about gifts and asking for cash etc. My partner and I hadn't even considered the wedding gift list as we don't really want people to buy us things. I was considering putting something in about just giving some money towards either a honeymoon, baby or house. But am having second thoughts because of the mixed opinions on here.

I do like the idea about the "presence, not presents" that someone mentioned. So was going to possibly use that with something saying if you really feel obligated to give a gift then please consider depositing a small amount in our account. (or something similar)

What are people's opinions on something like that in with the invitation?
  • ErrataErrata Forumite
    38.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why mention presents at all? If people want to give they will, if they don't, they won't. A wedding invitation is an invitation to a wedding ceremony perhaps followed by a reception, not a request to participate in the running costs of family life.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • tara747tara747 Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hobbzy wrote: »
    My fiancee and I are getting married in July 2012 and are in the process of planning a wedding that we can pay for. (Or should I say working out what we can and can't have.)

Whilst searching for some budget wedding ideas I came across the post on the MoneySavingsExpert website and found the article about gifts and asking for cash etc. My partner and I hadn't even considered the wedding gift list as we don't really want people to buy us things. I was considering putting something in about just giving some money towards either a honeymoon, baby or house. But am having second thoughts because of the mixed opinions on here.

I do like the idea about the "presence, not presents" that someone mentioned. So was going to possibly use that with something saying if you really feel obligated to give a gift then please consider depositing a small amount in our account. (or something similar)

What are people's opinions on something like that in with the invitation?

Honestly? I think it's pretty rude. Sorry :o

At least wait until someone asks. Then you can say that you'd really appreciate money as a gift. But I wouldn't put it in the invitation.
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion