Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

January 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 95

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 December 2011 at 2:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.3K replies 330.2K views

Replies

• annem38annem38 Forumite
    108 posts
    hi all, well thought i would be coming on here to announce another NSD only to find a receipt on the table when i got in from work from waitr*se for 7.69 for stuff i don't remeber asking oh to pick up, still at least he left me the receipt so i can keep track!

love hearing about all your great bargains, should really trawl waitr*ose on the way home from work EVERY night but think i may get sucked into buying all their other lovely stuff

anyhoo, good luck to anyone trying to give up smoking, did it just over 6 years ago by reading the allan carr book, took a couple of attempts ( head has to be in the right place) but when i finally decided i just did it, and yep, the best mse thing i ever did, to put it in perspective, a work colleague thought i "was mad" spending 19 quid on a work skirt from kew (reduced from 65) even though we aare expected to look excellent all the time, yet she smokes up to 40 a day:eek: she buys one tailor made pack a day and the rest are roll ups, so spends approx £200 a month on the habit, i must try harder to help her give up methinks

anne
  • PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    NSD grocery wise for me today. But, my motorbike has had to go to hospital, and it may be terminal! So annoying, as I'm trying to sell it... (long story)

Got my Aus friend round for fish and chips tom, which will not be counted in the budget. It's our last supper, and i'm calling it a present to her! It'll only be about £10 for the six of us, anyway.

Was really cross this evening. I opened a pack of wraps on Mon eve, and they're well within date, but i just had to chuck out 4 of them, as they were mouldy! I'm mostly cross, because I actually paid full price for them! I wouldn't feel so bad if they had been a great YS! They were only ald! or lid!, but still.:mad:

Friday will most prob be a nsd too, as it's swimming lessons for the ch, so no time. We'll have a quick easy meal then, like toasties/cheese on toast/tom soup or the like, and then our two main meals at the weekend are hm pizza and hm chicken nuggets. Feels really unhealthy saying that, but it's not! I love it!!!

Will end up spending on one of the weekend days, as I'll need fruit and yogs for packups next week, plus usual bread and milk. (Not bought a panny yet - won't now this month after the bike incident today :( ).

Enjoy the rest of the week everyone, I'm off to bed now!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • hi savvy theres a good offer on at mr t's £3 for 18 rolls

Thanks for that lemmings.:)
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41 :D
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38:eek: week 3 £90/£60.54:jweek4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70
  • Fiasco55Fiasco55 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Managed a NSD today :j and hopefully it will be the first of many this month.

Ended up with a tin of soup that with a BBE Jan for my dinner tonight.

I am a day shift tomorrow so it will be a packed lunch with a square wrap from the freezer with some ham and cheese leftover from my cheese board the other day. I have a friend coming over for dinner tomorrow night so it will be chicken pesto pasta with garlic bread. We will end up at M & S after dinner for some sale rumaging with a glance at the yellow stickers in the food hall.
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017
    Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items :j
    2018 3060 items
    Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
  • JillD_2JillD_2 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Libretia* wrote: »
    You could blanche the celery and freeze it chopped up and then add some of it to soups and stews, straight from the freezer.
    Genius plan, thanks !
    I have 3 heads of celery (keep buying, forget to eat) - so its 1 lot for soup, 1 lot for kids lunchboxes (they like it with cream cheese which I also have) and 1 lot for the freezer. Thanks :beer:
    Jan GC: £202.65/£450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: £0/0lbs

• NickJWNickJW Forumite
    678 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi All

Change in plan for dinner tonight - I got home and my flatmate had used the eggs to make egg mayo for bagels tomorrow. So I'll have got the last 2 bagels out of the freezer for tomorrow and will have the other ready made from the freezer on Friday.

Tonights dinner was a vague variation of a recipe I've done before with pork fillets, but I made my own variation on it with what I had in. I've posted the recipe below, so I don't forget it!! Absolutely no idea what to call it though so I'm using the ingredients for the name! :rotfl:

Sweet lime, soy and chilli pork

> Dry fry a tablespoon of sesame seeds for a couple of minutes until toasted, then set aside in a bowl
    > Boil a pan of water to start cooking enough plain (I used basmati) rice for 2 ppl, whilst everything else is being prepared/cooked, and stop it as soon as it's ready.
    > Meanwhile, in another bowl mix 1 tablespoon of cornflour and 2 tablespoons of soy sauce together. Then add half a de-seeded red chilli (or seeded if you like it hot!), half a lime juiced, 2 tablespoons of honey and a third of a mug of water. Add the sesame seeds, mix together and keep aside
    > Slice 2 pork lion steaks, one pepper (any colour) and one small onion - fry these with groundnut oil with a handful of green beans (or mangetout/sugar snap etc), until cooked - about 10 minutes. Once ready pour in the sauce mixture, until it's syrupy - about 5 minutes.
    > Serve on plates with rice

One annoying spend - £1.20 on a bottle of Lucozade Sport from the gym since I forgot to bring a bottle from a multipack offer at home with me! Have updated my sig.

On the smoking note - another guilty one here, I REALLY noticed it today. I have been a bit rubbish going to the gym recently and unfortunately over the Christmas/NY period I overdid smoking and drinking . It was really painful pushing myself on the machines, which was quite scary since I've never felt this unhealthy before! :o I've dragged out my Niquitin (sp) patches and will start using them again tomorrow. I hope I feel a bit of difference when I go to the gym again tomorrow, and it will spur me on. Good luck to everybody and hears to a healthy and prosperous 2012! :)
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011 :T
  • A naughty spend after slimming world tonight £3.45 tut tut...
    march Grocery Challenge 2012 £187.00/£285:D
    Weekly spend 11th march £0.00/£20.00
    5/17 NSD march:o
    10/14lb..2012 loss...1st/5st
  • i've managed 3 NSD's so far, made my first ever sourdough loaves, made yogurt and jam tarts for the kids :)
    eating way better at the mo and i can't remember the last time i spent so little on groceries :beer:
    NDS Feb 2012 - 17/17
    Feb 2012 GC - £97.63/£380
    SPC # 1584 & Frugal Living Challenge 2012
    £2012 in 2012 £120/£2012
    £365 in 365 days 2012 - £56/£365
  • tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morning troops!! Feel dead on my feet this morning, the wind was so bad last night. We have french doors as our bedroom windows and a great big open space in front of them that the wind blows straight across and buffets against the window and whistles through every nook and cranny.

I have a MrT delivery due today between 8am and 10am. What's the betting that it won't come till nearly 10am. The order will be somewhere in the region of £110, which sounds a lot but I have dinner for around 17 main meals from that plus lunches and breakfast etc. for a week or so. So all I will need is top ups.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • dreamingofmoneydreamingofmoney Forumite
    428 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Good Morning All

I read more than i post, so you'll have to forgive me, but you have so much knowledge to share, and i haven't really haha

So far my monthly spend is £63.97. May only need a top up shop til Sun when i will do a half top up/half big shop if you know what i mean

Take Care

Dreamer
    Debt free date May 20. Now the Mortgage1 £53862.45/£ 0% starting daily interest £4.48/£
    MFW No. 140 £5400/£496