Real Life MMD: Do I need to spend more on Xmas pressies?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
53 replies 11.2K views

Replies

• I tend to do this, but usually end up getting so many bargains I reach the limit! So the OH just gets more presents.
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with this...
    Aldahbra wrote: »
    In my experience a lot of offers are not genuine and the "offer price" is actually the real/usual price of the item.

In general, it depends on the whole family attitude to money and presents. My family is into bargains. Half the joy of giving a present is telling them how much of a bargain it was. And so I'd say spend up to the limit and take pride in being the one who turns up with the best presents. But I'd come clean about any particular bargains - would want to be seen as the one with the best presents, but wouldn't want to be seen as the one with the most expensive presents.
    But I can see that it would be different in other families.
  • poppybpoppyb Forumite
    54 Posts
    hiya all- every year i set a limit per person for who i have to buy for. i start my shopping for xmas on boxing day in the sales and continue all year round. i can agree with many of the comments that have been posted, but personally i stick to my limit. if i decide to spend £20 on someone and i get stuff in the sales, i make sure the total comes to £20, but could have about £40 worth of stuff.:) i just think it seems the fairer way to do it and the people im buying for end up with more stuff for the money. lets face it- some stuff isnt worth paying full price for- particularly anything with a name!! :mad:

i do however like the idea of putting the difference away in a savings account- ive never thought of doing that, but think i may do it starting boxing day- so thanx for that tip!! :T

merry christmas everyone!!! 419 hours to christmas!!!!!!

:xmassign::xmastree:
  • Surely it is all about how welcome the present is rather than how much it cost. I would have thought that the budget is a ceiling to avoid going over the top and ending up in financial difficulties by trying to out do each other.
  • poppyb wrote: »
    hiya all- every year i set a limit per person for who i have to buy for. i start my shopping for xmas on boxing day in the sales and continue all year round. i can agree with many of the comments that have been posted, but personally i stick to my limit. if i decide to spend £20 on someone and i get stuff in the sales, i make sure the total comes to £20, but could have about £40 worth of stuff.:)

This is what I've done this year - so whereas I might've just bought my mother than one thing, she now has four, etc...

Although this is a different situation as the budget set is "internal" rather than agreed between two people or within a family.
    You were only killing time and it'll kill you right back
  • Flat_EricFlat_Eric Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that you should not buy more simply to match whatever the budget is. If you achieved savings by being organised and buying throughout the year then :T to you.
  • Course not - kudos to you for hunting out the bargains.

Best £5 secret santa present I ever found several years ago was a 2003 Rugby world cup review DVD. From the poundshop!

Others were actually jealous and kept asking where i got it for a fiver. Din't have the guts to own up though!
  • cazpostcazpost Forumite
    109 Posts
    You've spent the whole year thinking about these people and working out ways to get them the best gifts at reasonable prices. Of course you shouldn't rush out at the last minute to spend more money on them.Presents are not about how much you have spent,but how much thought you have put in to getting something that the recipient will like.This year friends are getting homemade gift as my budget is extremely tight, but I know they will appreciate them just the same as I have put the effort in.
  • Mr_ToadMr_Toad Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Greveson wrote: »
    Personally I'd meet the budget halfway (or somewhere in between, not saying it has to be exactly halfway).

For example, say the budget was £100, but you'd managed to get everything half price, so had currently spent £50, then I'd spent another £25. That way it looks to everyone else as if you've been generous and spent a lot, but you've still saved money. Win-win.

Although I think the main lesson to take from this is that the budget is an upper limit so that spending doesn't get out of hand. But the true value of a gift is the thought that goes into it, what it means/represents, and the joy that the receiver will get from it (and the giver). If you're just going to reduce the gifts to monetary values, then you aren't really getting the point of giving, so you may as well not give at all (or just give the cash sum).

I disagree. Family can be a funny thing.

It's about the gift more than anything, if you are savvy enough to make a saving and then spend some or all on what you saved on further gifts you can cause all sorts of problems. You can make other people's gifts look mean and inadequate. If you tell them how you did it you can make them feel stupid and inadequate for not being as savvy and organized as you are. It can be a no win situation.

My wife has two sisters, a brother and a load of uncles and aunts. We've had years where they agreed a budget then one of them has blown it causing all sorts of resentment.

Another year they agreed to only buy for the children as times were hard and one of them ignored this making the rest look mean.

There was a point where some of the family didn't speak for nearly two years over this sort of petty falling out. It can make for a stressful time with a poisonous atmosphere.

If you've put the effort in to be organized and forward thinking you should keep that and the savings to yourself.

Mason
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
  • tallgirldtallgirld Forumite
    484 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    No way! Why spend more if you do not need to. I have set a budget of £200 I hope to only spend £180!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals