Copd

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
8 replies 1.5K views
NickyBatNickyBat Forumite
857 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
Does anyone have any experience of COPD, any advice, info would be appreciated as i know nothing of prognosis, speed of the disease or anything.

Thank you.

Replies

• edited 30 November 2011 at 10:27AM
    DirtPoorGuyDirtPoorGuy Forumite
    651 Posts
    edited 30 November 2011 at 10:27AM
    I am not sure what information you are looking for, my Mother has it, she requires a nebuliser 4 times a day at home, she should also be getting oxygen for 16 hours a day but as she is a smoker they won't give her it because of the risk of blowing herself up, someone diagnosed with COPD can live for another 15 years or more depending on the severity of it.

You get a lung capacity test 2-3 times a year to monitor it's progress, if you stop smoking you can slow the process of your lungs filling up to a crawl.

Over time you will struggle to walk even a couple of feet as it will require more oxygen than your lungs can absorb, you become prone to infections such as pneumonia and urinary infections, without oxygen at home you will have bouts of disorientation, hypoxia and hallucinations bordering on slipping into unconsciousness if not actual unconsciousness.

Some patients if they are young enough and don't have any heart problems or other significant health problems other than the COPD may qualify for a lung transplant, but from what I have been told it isn't that common.

For all the publicity surrounding smoking related lung cancer they fail to mention that far more people will die of smoking related COPD and to be honest I could deal a lot better with my Mother having lung cancer than COPD, it is a slow painful death compared to cancer.
  • VfM4meplseVfM4meplse
    34.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi NickyBat,

I'm surprised you weren't given any information when the diagnosis was made, or perhaps you were just too shocked at the time? Take a look at this site. The prognosis and progression will depend on how early the diagnosis has been made and how compromised your lungs are atm. Be reassured that many people live with this for years, what it will undoubtedly do is compromise your quallity of life.

The single most effective thing you can do to help yourself is to stop smoking, if you haven't already. There are plenty of NHS resources to help you do so. The second would be to ensure that you use your inhalers as directed, and not just when you feel a bit short of breath.

Good luck.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • margaretclaremargaretclare Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure what information you are looking for, my Mother has it, she requires a nebuliser 4 times a day at home, she should also be getting oxygen for 16 hours a day but as she is a smoker they won't give her it because of the risk of blowing herself up, someone diagnosed with COPD can live for another 15 years or more depending on the severity of it.

You get a lung capacity test 2-3 times a year to monitor it's progress, if you stop smoking you can slow the process of your lungs filling up to a crawl.

Over time you will struggle to walk even a couple of feet as it will require more oxygen than your lungs can absorb, you become prone to infections such as pneumonia and urinary infections, without oxygen at home you will have bouts of disorientation, hypoxia and hallucinations bordering on slipping into unconsciousness if not actual unconsciousness.

Some patients if they are young enough and don't have any heart problems or other significant health problems other than the COPD may qualify for a lung transplant, but from what I have been told it isn't that common.

For all the publicity surrounding smoking related lung cancer they fail to mention that far more people will die of smoking related COPD and to be honest I could deal a lot better with my Mother having lung cancer than COPD, it is a slow painful death compared to cancer.

It's also not mentioned that lung cancer can occur in non-smokers, whereas the British Lung Foundation site says this: "The most common cause of COPD is smoking. Once you give up smoking, you gradually reduce the chances of getting COPD - and you slow down its progress if you already have it."

I think the only non-smokers who ever got COPD were those who worked in dirty industrial conditions with a lot of air pollution.

I can understand not giving oxygen to a smoker! The effects of neat oxygen and a lighted cigarette, even a spark, wouldn't only blow up Mum, but the house as well and other people in the vicinity.

As a doctor once put it in my hearing, trying to treat this illness at the same time as you smoke is like trying to put out a fire while pouring petrol on it at the same time.

Yes, I know smoking is an addiction, but wouldn't you think that someone would want to take steps herself to improve her own health when the way forward is known?
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • DUKEDUKE Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Mom has it too & has the inhaler things. If you smoke then try getting help to stop. There's loads of info if you Google - http://www.lunguk.org/you-and-your-lungs/conditions-and-diseases/copd.htm?gclid=CK-3lp-l3qwCFYl9fAodYDjaBw
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    68.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My darling MIL had it and always said she would not have smoked if they had warned her about COPD rather than just lung cancer. She gave up the cigarettes the day she was diagnosed and never ever touched one again. She became really anti smoking- used to stop young children in the street if she saw them and tell them to put out their cigarettes as otherwise they would end up like her- she was really quite angry as it began to take over that she felt the smoking warnings concentrated too much on lung cancer and not enough on such a crippling chronic illness that meant she could no longer play with her grandchildren or easily come on holiday with us as she wasn't able to get around.

Unfortunately as she was rather elderly it affected her very badly, it meant she was no longer able to really walk any long distances. We live on the top of a hill so when she came to stay she was unable to go down to the town as she could not get back up the hill again . Despite not smoking the disease did progress a little- but nowhere near as fast as they said it would do if she didn't give up. She has since died but of a totally unrelated illness.

The only other thing it affected was that she struggled when she had to have her hip replaced as the anaesthetic was likely to do her harm- and that was a real worry.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • Thank you for all your replies.
  • C_MababejiveC_Mababejive Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess you smoke? Have you given up? If not,its essential you do.

My old Auntie was initially diagnosed with COPD.

She continued to somke for years. Eventually her circulatory system began to suffer. Her body could not offload excess fludi and many times she almost slowly drowned as her lungs became water logged.

She continued to smoke. She was on oxygen therapy..

Eventually she died of lung cancer...
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • BarneysmomBarneysmom Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dad was diagnosed a few months ago.
    He immediately stopped smoking and started cycling everywhere again, he's doing really well.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides