Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

November 2011 - Grocery Challenge - Page 106

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

November 2011 - Grocery Challenge

edited 26 October 2011 at 6:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 90.5K views

Replies

• sproggisproggi Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Another NSD today helped along by me catching kids stomach bug.
    Only one more day to go, if I can manage that without shopping, then I will come in under budget :)

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    if your kids have got the same tummy bug as mine you won't be going anywhere for awhile :(

nsd today altho not really threw choice i needed milk and bread, asked mil to get it while i ran into an appointment with the kids and when i came out she gave me my money back, so free milk and bread :)
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
  • Pixie_FairydustPixie_Fairydust Forumite
    310 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Hi all, I would like to declare £302.57for November. Well over budget but better than it would have been in previous months :T

See you over on the December thread.

Pixie
    🎄The most wonderful time of the year 🎄
  • edited 30 November 2011 at 9:48AM
    tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 November 2011 at 9:48AM
    Today's dinner was sausage and vegetable bake.

I chopped up a pack of sausages into quarter's. Then chopped up some pumpkin, carrots and red onion and chucked everything in a baking tin. Sprinkled on caraway seed and drizzle with olive oil and give it a stir. Bunged it into a pre-heated at 200 deg C and cooked for 50 mins, take it out and stir it a couple of times. Poured on 500 ml beef stock/gravy and cooked for a further 10 mins. Served it with green beans and crusty HM rolls to mop up the gravy. Clean plates all round.

This was enough for five plus a portion of bake for DH to take to dinner tomorrow.

This should taste nice with things like sweet potato or butternut squash as well.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • That sounds lovely tigerfeet. I might try it myself some time!

My month does not end until tomorrow but I'm declaring now so I don't buy anything tomorrow.

The good news is that, since I last posted, I haven't bought anything else, managing with what I had already.

Final spend for this month £45.62 (budget was £30) so final result was way over budget but I learned a few things.
    :jBaby girl born 3rd October 2012:j
  • edited 29 November 2011 at 8:06PM
    Rainy-DaysRainy-Days Forumite
    1.5K posts
    edited 29 November 2011 at 8:06PM
    Final check in for November

Sainsburys

£22.04

Lidl

£17.83

Aldi

£9.99

Total

£49.86

Not sure what my final total is - haven't a clue!!
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today's dinner was sausage and vegetable bake.

I chopped up a pack of sausages into quarter's. Then chopped up some pumpkin, carrots and red onion and chucked everything in a baking tin. Sprinkled on caraway seeds. Bunged it into a pre-heated at 200 deg C and cooked for 50 mins. Poured on 500 ml beef stock/gravy and cooked for a further 10 mins. Served it with green beans and crusty HM rolls to mop up the gravy. Clean plates all round.

This was enough for five plus a portion of bake for DH to take to dinner tomorrow.

This should taste nice with things like sweet potato or butternut squash as well.

Meant to say I drizzled some olive oil on this and tossed it round before I put it into bake :)

That teach me to try and type and chat to three kids at the same time :)
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Meant to say I drizzled some olive oil on this and tossed it round before I put it into bake :)

Tiger, could you copy and paste the note above into your original recipe post when you have a chance please. Someone reading the recipe in years to come probably won't see your later post ;)

I've added the recipe to the index :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • prepareathomeprepareathome Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Well as I will not be doing any shopping today I can see declare the challenge blown with a whopping £325.85 spent. I did actually do a shop yesterday but that was totally Christmas bit and bobs in Mr S so not including it as it came out of savings. I will put it back out of hubbys earnings over next few weeks so might at it to challenge total then, but everything in the shop was only bought for Boxing Day would not buy any of it any other time. Really what I saved in Sealed Pot Challenge actually pays for it but not cashing that in till next year hopefully.

Decided this year I am going to make mulled wine, not done that since not been able to drink thanks to meds - I would be able to fly to sons wedding in Melbourne without a plane if mixed meds with alchol :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: So searched around and found two bottles of non alcholic red wine for £5, they do white but mulled wine should be red, well I think so anyway:D Did remember the spices as well.So when my guests arrive on Boxing Day hopefully my friends should be greeted by the smell of mulled wine served in my punch bowl ( got it as a wedding present 31 years ago and its only be used on a handful of occasions, being lead crystal I was always scared if I used it for kids parties it would get broken, so punch for them was made in a big glass bowl and they drank out of paper cups, where as the punch bowl has all the little cups that hang round it, daft it sits there in its box never being used. I just must remember to make sure I have fruit to slice and put in it. Does anyone know if I could buy fruit now and slice and freeze it and then just pop it in punch on the day????? Shloer was £1 a bottle so bought 5 different ones that always goes down well, the teenagers feel they are drinking grown up drink and are happy :D Also got my mini real :xmastree: they never get many in and a lot of years I miss them as I love those little trees and have lots of little decorations for it including lights, its only about 12ins at most high including pot but only tree I buy now since kids left home. I plant them out in the garden about April and one is now 12ft high. Mr S only place I have ever seen them.

So bought most of my presents now, just 7 more to get and two might be gift cards for itunes for a 13 and 14 year old as don't know what else to get them and music never goes wrong at that age. Granddaughter only wants things in black - she likes sculls as well, a goth in the making methinks and managed to get a lovely necklace and matching earings in black onyx so that should keep her happy just not sure what else.

So have revised my total budget for December to £250 as now bought most in for store cupboard and no room for anything else so will see if I can cut it down, if so can aim for £200 in Jan, I want to eventually get down to about £100 most months, as that should be more than enough for two of us but I will having learnt my lesson this month take babysteps to achieve it.
    :rotfl:C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z # 1 prepareathome - baker, premium prepper (hence member #1), topic keeper:rotfl:
    Sealed Pot Member1433:2011 £119.12/2012-? Save £12k in 2012 No 126
    Stopped Smoking Wed 25th Jan 2012
  • dreamingofmoneydreamingofmoney Forumite
    427 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Good Morning All

Well my month finished today and i am declaring at £249.00 :j:T:j
    This is soo under budget and so that extra £51 will be put towards xmas mucky beer. WOOHOO.

Good luck to all.

Note. Now off to dec, wish me luck
    Debt free date May 20. Now the Mortgage1 £53862.45/£ 0% starting daily interest £4.48/£
    MFW No. 140 £5400/£