Halifax / HBOS Shares : What happened to them?

Hi

Apologies in advance if this subject has been covered before - I couldn't find anything when searching and I'm not too familiar with forums.

My question is....When the UK banking system collapsed a few years ago, I was in possession of Halifax/HBOS shares that at the time were worth approx. £4000. I now see that my shares are worth practically nothing. Please don't think I'm completely daft but I was out of the country for a long while! Someone did mention to me that I should look up a government compensation scheme to recover the value (or part of) of the shares. I can't seem to find anything. Is this true? Is there some compensation available?

Many thanks for your advice in anticipation

Replies

• tifotifo Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    EmKay wrote: »
    My question is....When the UK banking system collapsed a few years ago, I was in possession of Halifax/HBOS shares that at the time were worth approx. £4000. I now see that my shares are worth practically nothing. Please don't think I'm completely daft but I was out of the country for a long while! Someone did mention to me that I should look up a government compensation scheme to recover the value (or part of) of the shares.

Sorry if this comes out wrong but .....

You took a risk, bought shares, and lost and now want to be compensated?

If the shares had gone up in value would you have returned the profit?
  • AnniseleAnnisele Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the someone you've been talking to was rather confused.

They were possibly thinking about the Financial Services Compensation Scheme - but the FSCS will not bail out shareholders who took a risk and then got bitten by it.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News