MSE News: Government moves towards new monthly benefit system

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
183 replies 14.5K views

Replies

• BigAuntyBigAunty Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    john539 wrote: »
    It's all gone over your head, you don't get it.

You have ignored the points raised.

You are focussing on one theoretical point when there are far more important practical issues.

It doesn't matter, it won't happen. ;)

The practical issue is that those on benefits, particularly the long-term, need as few barriers as possible to help them return back into employment.

The wider the gap between how benefits operate and the real world of employment is, the harder it is for people to transition between the two.

It may be the case that those on benefits have less skills and aptitude to budget their money over the course of the month if they are used to weekly or fortnightly sums but they'll soon adapt into making their money stretch for the same period it is intended to cover.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course we on benefits must budget but what we spend our money on is none of your !!!!ing narrow minded mean spirited business!

I have highlighted the problem, its my money which is being spent so I have every right to have a say what it can be spent on.

The end of the day benefits should be food and shelter, with that Yes I agree some landlords are taking the P and they need sorting out, as for food if your getting a free meal you should be greatful, as along as its enough to survive, as for being tasteless good job really as nobody can say thet don't like the taste.

The end of the day why should I be taxed so I can't afford drugs and alcohol to pay for somebody else to have drugs and alcohol but hasn't done a thing to ean it. (ps I don't do drugs and rarely drink)
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • john539john539 Forumite
    17K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigAunty wrote: »
    The practical issue is that those on benefits, particularly the long-term, need as few barriers as possible to help them return back into employment.

The wider the gap between how benefits operate and the real world of employment is, the harder it is for people to transition between the two.

It may be the case that those on benefits have less skills and aptitude to budget their money over the course of the month if they are used to weekly or fortnightly sums but they'll soon adapt into making their money stretch for the same period it is intended to cover.
    You can think whatever you want, you can have all the plans in the world, if you don't understand the problems, it's not going to work. ;)

It's quite clear you don't understand.
  • edited 22 November 2011 at 1:48PM
    john539john539 Forumite
    17K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 November 2011 at 1:48PM
    Percy1983 wrote: »
    I have highlighted the problem, its my money which is being spent so I have every right to have a say what it can be spent on.

The end of the day benefits should be food and shelter, with that Yes I agree some landlords are taking the P and they need sorting out, as for food if your getting a free meal you should be greatful, as along as its enough to survive, as for being tasteless good job really as nobody can say thet don't like the taste.

The end of the day why should I be taxed so I can't afford drugs and alcohol to pay for somebody else to have drugs and alcohol but hasn't done a thing to ean it. (ps I don't do drugs and rarely drink)
    It's not your money, it's the government's money.

The government does not consult you on every issue.

The government is elected & has to consider many more issues than one person's views.

If you don't like, contact your Mp, argue your case, protest on the street.

If you think you know it all, then stand for election.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unless we bring it in that you can't vote unless you contribute then those who get something for nothing will keep voting to get something for nothing.

I will say I do vote for the party I believe will do the right thing with my money so I don't feel too bad ont he issue, we just need rid of this entitlement culture.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • We have my husband's Teachers' pension monthly, his Incapacity Benefit four-weekly and my State Pension weekly (that was my choice though).

I actually can't see what the problem is in having them monthly, other than the initial change-over period.

You might if you were single and under 25yrs, hard enough to manage your £102.00 fortnightly, paid mthly, you'd be broke 2 weeks out of every 4.

Having said that, I'm not opposed to the idea, just don't think it's doable when you're on the breadline.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
    17K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Percy1983 wrote: »
    Unless we bring it in that you can't vote unless you contribute then those who get something for nothing will keep voting to get something for nothing.

I will say I do vote for the party I believe will do the right thing with my money so I don't feel too bad ont he issue, we just need rid of this entitlement culture.
    So you now want to change the basis of our democracy.

Suggest it to your Mp.

Maybe the democratically elected government who are accountable should deal with the real economic problems like lack of affordable housing, high housing costs, greedy landlords, 1% vs 99%, high unemployment, lack of jobs, uncontrolled migration, high inflation, companies not paying taxes, company executives getting ridiculous salaries.
  • Percy1983 wrote: »

So anyone who has fallen foul of a redundancy, been made disabled (and not a mild, controllable disability) or other similar circumstances, should have their right to vote taken away? Yet we'll give it to prisoners.

Don't forget that quite a few unemployed do things like volunteer in order to gain confidence, experience and something on the CV, all of which help improve a person. Should a volunteer who has fallen on hard times be tarred with the same brush? I know that most volunteers actually give an awful lot to society. Think about the fire brigade, a lot are now retained firefighters. Think about police, how many special constables do we have? Think about ambulance, it is often St John ambulance service which provide at big events. So I would say that a volunteer gives much in contribution to society.
  • seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might if you were single and under 25yrs, hard enough to manage your £102.00 fortnightly, paid mthly, you'd be broke 2 weeks out of every 4.

Having said that, I'm not opposed to the idea, just don't think it's doable when you're on the breadline.

I can remember my son being on JSA, it was very, very hard.

But I actually don't see why it would be harderrbeing on monthly payments. You still divi the money up, just do it for the month instead of the fortnight. Your shopping is still £20 per week, your ga and electricity still only £10 per week. You can still pay by the week if you want to. Just use the amount of money that you have for a week. Then you will have money left for the rest of the time, surely?
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    17K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can remember my son being on JSA, it was very, very hard.

But I actually don't see why it would be harderrbeing on monthly payments. You still divi the money up, just do it for the month instead of the fortnight. Your shopping is still £20 per week, your ga and electricity still only £10 per week. You can still pay by the week if you want to. Just use the amount of money that you have for a week. Then you will have money left for the rest of the time, surely?
    How does that apply to people who have problems you don't have or haven't experienced ?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals