Need Help reclaimng Direct Debit payments???

Hello,

I could really do with some advice please.

A good friend and work colleague recently had the misfortune of having to make an insurance claim on his Buildings and Contents insurance, only to be told by Co-Op insurance that "Due to a missed payment in Nov 08 his policy had been duly cancelled."

The problem is that my friend cannot remember if he was inforformed of this or not but because the Direct Debit payment of £37 continued to be taken he just assumed the policy to still be in place.

My friend then asked for the total amount paid since the policy was cancelled to be repaid in full. (which would easily cover what the original claim totalled) They replied "Due to the contract it was his responsibility to cancel payment and is not entitled to the money back"

Any help on this would be highly appreciated having spent hours searching through forums and Google and not finding any evidence to back any corner.

Thanks

Sean

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If they continued to collect premiums then they should honour the claim.
    They replied "Due to the contract it was his responsibility to cancel payment and is not entitled to the money back"

That is rubbish. They cant have it both ways.

A formal complaint should be made asking for them to either honour the claim or to refund premiums. If they refuse, then take it to the FOS. The FOS wont allow them to get away with that.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thank you, I have passed the information on and he will contact them tomorrow. I'll get back with the results :D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides