November 2011 - Grocery Challenge

edited 26 October 2011 at 6:52PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 90.5K views

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I have learned to say No to my neighbours who are 'borrowers .It used to be cash 'to get them through till their next giro' Then as my DD said 'Mum you live on your own,you are a widowed pensioner and you manage to live o.k. there are five of them next door all without work and no inclination to get any They have more cash then you why are you being their 'standby' between their giro's '.Well tonight was the last straw 6.15 p.m. one was on the doorstep wanting to borrow a loo roll.Now a fortnight ago they 'borrowed one and it never was returned so tonight i said sorry I am short myself .I felt a bit mean afterwards but then thought well I would no more dream of borrowing than fly in the air . I live in an area where there are jobs ,o.k. maybe only shop work and unskilled stuff but in the three years they have lived there not one has bothered to find a job, the Dad is seemingly fit and healthy but says he gets more by not working, and the three young girls 19,20 & 21 have never apparently been in work since leaving school.Now I have no problem with folk who are stuck and can't find work as I know sometimes it is difficult but I think its a bit cheeky expecting me to fund their laziness.How can you not know you are short of loo roll at 6.15 at night I grew up with rationing and often our loo roll was on a nail and bit of string in the outside loo.:mad:Maybe I'm getting old and cranky but enough is enough I think.I am careful with how I spend my cash and make every penny streetch.
    O.K. rant over I shall return to being a sweet-tempered little old lady again:D:D:rotfl:
    Well done all of you who are getting through the tough times and to the 'newbies' its all about 'baby steps':beer:
  • edited 15 November 2011 at 9:19PM
    ms_night_ryderms_night_ryder Forumite
    3K posts
    edited 15 November 2011 at 9:19PM
    Right! i'm going to retract £28.76 from my target, as i have had a lot of faffing about with my tescos order, that i didnt need but ordered in the codes glitch, they cancelled my order, but between today and yesterday on the phone to cs i have managed to gain £55 in tesco vouchers as compensation for their blunders, so im not going to do anymore shopping until my next gc pay day which is the end of the month, so i am only £2 over my target once i adjust sig

And best of all i have £55 of tesco vouchers towards next months gc, so i should sail through Dec and will lower it then accordingly
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • JackieO - Way to go and well done

Compbunny - so very sorry to hear the news about your Grandad - big hugs for you and your family

Prepareathome - well done on looking at your finances and realising what it is that you want to do, baby steps gets you there all the way

Findingmyownway - budget done

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • cattysmumcattysmum Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Good evening, am just waiting for the water to heat up so I can have my relaxing bath of the month!!!! I know what you are thinking no no no, I usually have daily showers and my once a month bath is my treat, Im on a water meter and as yet havn't turned on the heating SO I have turned on the heating for a couple of hours to warm up my water, hmmmmm can't wait. Anyway, just signing in to record a couple of spends one at Asda for baking supplies, I am making my grandson 20 cup cakes to take to school for his bake sale in aid of children in need and my grandaughter is being christened this weekend so again, my contribution to the buffet is cupcakes for the children need about 40!!! so a busy weekend for me!! So a spend of £8.47 at Asda and £19,59 at Tescos. Got myself a sewing machine with my clubcard points, I have never used one since school so results should be interesting. Still on Target for November budget, but may have to up it for next month (hmmm is it christmas)?????
    SPC No. 295 - SPC No10 target £350
    #1603:staradmin/
    SPC 2014 £150/SPC 2015 £256SPC 2016 £324
    Saving for Florida 2018 :j
    Matched betting toe dipper.
  • Well said JackieO! I don't think I would actually ever have the nerve to knock on someone's door to ask for a roll of loo paper but some people seem to have no shame! Re your last comment about "baby steps" I think that definitely applies to me all be it that I am not a newbie! Still, I know people who spend far more than me so it must be true that just participating in the challenge must make me mindful about some things!

I do have another spend to add (well 3 actuallly!) from Mr S , Farm Foods & Home Bargains which I will shortly dig out & update signature with.

tigerfeet2006 - wish Hippeechiq was still posting. I miss her posts & often wonder how she is.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • debbiedeejaydebbiedeejay Forumite
    504 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    CompBunny, so sorry to hear your sad news, will be thinking of you & your family.

Have to add £3.19 to this months total - needed milk and tomatoes (thing is, a month ago, DD2 hated tomatoes,always did even as a little kid, and slowly has reaslied they are quiet nice in cheese wraps/sarnies/toasties so then decides to eat the whole lot I bought for the week in 3 days!)plus an apple as a starter for my lunch(even though I don't really "like" apples, they make me more hungry if you get what I mean, and a huge locally grown cauliflower.
    Daft thing is I am the only one who likes cauli cooked the rest of family like to eat it raw so I can go to the fridge to get some to cook for tea and it will be gone!

May go and bag some florets up for me and leave the fridge raiders to rest of it.
    Crazy Clothes Challenge 2012 £57.20/£100,CCC 2013 £68.67/£100 ,CCC 2014 £94.32/£100
    *Frugal Living Challenge 2012, 2013, 2014*
    GC 2014 Jan £154.14/£180;Feb £103.49/£180;Mar 117.63/£160
  • rej-crej-c Forumite
    115 posts
    Hugs and sympathies to you and yours, CompBunny...
    ...and a 'big up ya bad self!' to Jackie O :beer:

£3.22 added to our total across two shops yesterday, and an NSD added for today - leftovers for dinner tonight :)

Right, I'm off to catch up on everyone's posts properly... if I've not ploughed through it all by Friday, send a search party :rotfl:
    Haven't done the GC since February, but a glance at the Tower of Receipts tells me I really need to get back into it... and plenty of other Challenges besides. :o
  • No spends on groceries today :) Did the Tesco glitch thing though (delivered yesterday) so am very close to top end of budget (about £3 left for the month). I have no excuses but I am happy with everything I have :) I've got enough beans, tinned toms, baby milk and mince to last me into the New Year so the overspend hasn't been on carp :D
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady :o
    A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
  • Spent more money today, mostly because I didn't take anything out the freezer this morning so ended up buying dinner when I went into Sains for school supplies.
    £3.05 on chicken thighs, 64p on marked down rolls and 65p on a packet of chicken coating, £4.34 in all. I'm still doing better than I expected.:D
    I was off to conquer the world but I got distracted by something sparkly :D

• tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JackieO :T You go girl :D

Ms-Night-Ryder, What are MrT glitches? I nearly didn't get my delivery today as their systems were down and they couldn't process my card, but they have delivered and will take the money later. Though I notice they haven't taken my discount vouchers off.

Cattysmum, hope the cupcakes go well and enjoy the christening as well.

Long Tall Sally, it is a shame isn't it. Wonder where she is.

CompBunny, Lots of hugs and much sympathy. I know how you feel we lost Mum a while back and it is still raw.

Pipersky, can I be cheeky and ask where your name originates from?
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy