Great 'ways To Cut Back' Hunt

in Debt-Free Wannabe
859 replies 540.4K views

Replies

• wildchildwildchild Forumite
    35 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Only use one washing powder tablet instead of 2 - I've been doing this for years and noticed no discernible difference (except the clothes rinse better and aren't as clogged with soap).
  • SidB_2SidB_2 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Always take into consideration the cost of fuel when you drive to the shops.

http://rac.co.uk/carcare/advice/costs/Petrolrunningcosts.pdf

It might be more economical to shop locally.
    Every silver lining has a cloud...

Feb 2009 - Won a pole dancing lesson - Too bad I'm a 45-year old beer gutted male !!
  • jmbljmbl Forumite
    3 Posts
    Check whether items that have been reduced because they are going out of date are also part of another offer, such as BOGOF or buy two for a reduced price. The other day raspberries were on sale at two containers for 3 pounds. When I passed them again they were just being reduced to 10p each. Being something of an addict I bought them all - about 16 packs. When I got to the till they were automatically reduced by the amount of the original reduction - about 50-60p for every two packs. With the result that I not only got the raspberries for nothing, the excess reduction reduced the total cost of my shop! I can't guarantee that this always happens but I was pretty pleased with myself.
  • jmbl wrote:
    Check whether items that have been reduced because they are going out of date are also part of another offer, such as BOGOF or buy two for a reduced price. The other day raspberries were on sale at two containers for 3 pounds. When I passed them again they were just being reduced to 10p each. Being something of an addict I bought them all - about 16 packs. When I got to the till they were automatically reduced by the amount of the original reduction - about 50-60p for every two packs. With the result that I not only got the raspberries for nothing, the excess reduction reduced the total cost of my shop! I can't guarantee that this always happens but I was pretty pleased with myself.

aye i regulary visit my local sommerfields as one thing they are good at is reducing food going out of sell by date, they always overstock on poratotes, and i can get a 2kg bag of baking spuds for 50p at times! their "posh" pizzas for £1.20 (normally £2..99) the best one i got was a loaf of long life bread that has a sell by date and use by date on it, it was reduced to 10p but still had 7 days of "life" left in it!

Dont know if this has been mentioned before but ALWAYS take a packed lunch to work.
  • adelieneadeliene Forumite
    26 Posts
    Join a Time Bank or start one, often grants available. I am making cushion covers, for a member and someone else is putting up some trellis for me. sharing without paying out money. and very sociable.
  • to follow on from this msg if you go on the AA web site (auto not alcohol!) you can put in your post code and find the cheapest petrol around, saves driving around
  • use reusable nappies. there may be a laundry service near you if you are not sure about commiting yourself.
    we bought our ownsupply when our wee one was 6 months old, which should last through till when she is potty-trained
    & all for £64!
    doesn't cost any extra in washing as we now do a full load every day anyway
    also will save you money as you can't use fabric conditioner with nappies (reduces absorbency) so use white vinegar instead- much cheaper

also use cotton wool & lotion/water rather than babywipes

supermarkets have v good baby clothes (tesco, asda) also primark & dunnes
  • sell old books, CDs on amazon (CDs are best as you get quite a good postal allowance on these). also less hassle if you are scared of ebay as amazon sort it all out for you!
  • Dishwasher:

Don’t buy dishwasher tablets/powder – use value laundry powder instead – it’s the same stuff sold for a fraction of the price.

Use vinegar as rinse aid.

You only need dishwasher salt if you have hard water.

Laundry:

Stretch washing powder with soda crystals and/or borax.

Use vinegar as fabric softener and add a couple of drops of essential oils (lavender, chamomile, etc). The vinegar makes fabric (esp. towels) soft and the oils make it smell nice.

Instead of buying special scented ironing water just use water and a few drops of essential oils in a spray bottle – shake before use.
    Your home is at risk if you do not keep up repayments on a mortgage or other loan secured on it.
  • ashmitashmit Forumite
    622 Posts
    If you use a water filter jug and fill up your kettle with it, fill up your kettle straight after you use it, not just before you want to boil it again. This way the water doesn't need to be heated quite so far to be boiled.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides