Forum Home» Energy» Water Bills

Water meters - pros and cons? - Page 32

New Post Advanced Search

Water meters - pros and cons?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
593 replies 361.8K views

Replies

• Moving into my first house (rented) with my partner next week. It's two bedrooms and no water meter installed.

I do laundry maybe 3 times a week and have always been very conservative with showers, turning off sink when brushing teeth, etc. Severn Trent tell me that the water rates for where I'm moving are £21.58 a month. Does anyone know if a meter would benefit or not? Not entirely sure how they come to that figure. Is it under the presumption of how much water a house of that size would normally use?
  • abankerbutnotafatcatabankerbutnotafatcat Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Old wives tale. If you ask to be metered they will provide. If you dont - they wont. Simples.

My local water co., Sutton & East Surrey or something similar, have a mandatory meter installation on change of owner. They promptly turned up a month after I moved in and I got a ridiculous amount (and ridiculously confusing) of water bills with all sorts of credits and charges.

As for installing a meter in a rented flat I would be outraged if my tenants did this. If they want a property with a water meter they should rent one. Saying that, if my rental property was a one (or maybe two) bed flat I would probably already have had one installed. It isn't which is why I would probably be so against one.
  • missjymissjy Forumite
    133 posts
    I was wondering whether it's worth my while installing a water meter. I have just purchased a property and will spend a good few months doing it up so it will be unoccupied except for me and workmen coming in and out. I have received a bill for the whole year which is over £200. Eventually when the house is ready it will just be me and baby living there. The house is a 3 bed semi which I think will have a good RV. On Martin's article it says that if you have more people living in a house than bedrooms then it is good idea to install water meter. I was wondering what people on this forum would recommend based on their experiences? Thanks x
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    missjy wrote: »
    I was wondering whether it's worth my while installing a water meter. I have just purchased a property and will spend a good few months doing it up so it will be unoccupied except for me and workmen coming in and out. I have received a bill for the whole year which is over £200. Eventually when the house is ready it will just be me and baby living there. The house is a 3 bed semi which I think will have a good RV. On Martin's article it says that if you have more people living in a house than bedrooms then it is good idea to install water meter. I was wondering what people on this forum would recommend based on their experiences? Thanks x

It depends totally on the RV of your house - without that nobody can advise.
  • missjymissjy Forumite
    133 posts
    How can I find out the RV that the water companies use?
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is on the bill.

If you haven't yet had a bill, ring the water company with the address and ask them the Rateable Value.

Once you have this RV you can work out exactly how much you will be paying.
  • SwipeSwipe Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elaniel wrote: »
    Moving into my first house (rented) with my partner next week. It's two bedrooms and no water meter installed.

I do laundry maybe 3 times a week and have always been very conservative with showers, turning off sink when brushing teeth, etc. Severn Trent tell me that the water rates for where I'm moving are £21.58 a month. Does anyone know if a meter would benefit or not? Not entirely sure how they come to that figure. Is it under the presumption of how much water a house of that size would normally use?

With two occupants you'd probably break even at £21 so I'd stay on water rates and forget being frugal with your water consumption.
  • I've just received my first water bill for this property (moved in earlier this year), ~£75 for 5 months, Anglian Water. I rang up to query the original meter reading as it said 'estimated', was told it wasn't estimated really it was just the reading the day before I moved in, and then was told because I've used so little water I could move to another tariff, changing my bill to only ~£45, for water and sewerage! So less than £10 per month!

I'm a big fan of water meters now!
  • missjymissjy Forumite
    133 posts
    Cardew wrote: »
    It depends totally on the RV of your house - without that nobody can advise.

The RV is £357.78 pa.
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    missjy wrote: »
    The RV is £357.78 pa.

That is not the RV. The RV is just in whole pounds - not pence.

It appears to be the amount you will be paying for a bill based on the RV.