MSE News: Halifax: House prices stabilise

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"House prices rose by 0.3% in July, indicating a steadying housing market, new figures from Halifax show ..."
Read the full story:
Halifax: House prices stabilise

OfficialStamp.gif

Replies

• HAMISH_MCTAVISHHAMISH_MCTAVISH Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All three major indices showing prices stable or slightly rising this month.

As ever, there are pockets of falls, but in general prices are stagnating while rents continue to set new record highs.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • brit1234brit1234 Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    The figures are just the delayed noise of the spring bounce from deal 2-3 months ago in the peak selling period.

The simple fact is there is not enough money in the country to support these overvalued house prices. With wages frozen, taxes higher and inflation rampant house prices are set to continue falling.

From now on we should see Halifax and Nationwide go negative next month and Land registry possibly go positive for just month.

The continuing financial crisis in the world is on the front pages and the biggest story. Here in Britain we will be in trouble when we focus on Ireland next. Even prices in London are now falling except the luxury area in centre.

At the same time my gold and silver are rising in value which I will use to buy a house.
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
    28.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    brit1234 wrote: »
    From now on we should see Halifax and Nationwide go negative next month

You've been saying that every month for the last few years Brit.

Remember 50% off by Xmas 2009? :rotfl:

And I see you haven't changed your signature yet to reflect all three indices showing prices stable or rising this month. :D
    At the same time my gold and silver are rising in value which I will use to buy a house.

Hoarding the "precious things" are we?

I'm getting a vision of you now Brit.......:rotfl:

league640.jpg
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

• WelshNicWelshNic Forumite
    303 Posts
    Delayed noise :rotfl:

Comedy gold :D
    28.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WelshNic wrote: »
    Delayed noise :rotfl:

Comedy gold :D

Brit's excuses are getting more fantastical each month. :D

• Poor old twit1234, the 50% fall by Christmas 2009 is pure genius!!

I do hope he keeps his sig up to date. Will be interesting to see how he reacts once the YOY figures turn positive later in the year.

What a muppet!

:p
  • brit1234brit1234 Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Sorry but I think all you property rampers are going to get burnt.

A house is a place to live not a speculative asset. I'm sure you noticed the international property bubble of the last decade and the economic meltdown it has caused.

Do you really think that house prices which are traditionally 3.5 times wages but now 6 will survive at such overvalued rates especially when all over the world the other property prices are falling.

Why if every thing is so hunky dory when we have had year on year price falls despite interest rates being 0.5%. Surely that must send alarm bells in your head.

If you can't see the lag factor with the house price surveys going back to the spring bounce I feel sorry for you. So under your understanding prices will keep on rising where I see them continuing to fall.

Lets see who is right here in 1 years time.
    :exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.

Save our Savers
  • edited 5 August 2011 at 6:52PM
    ukcarperukcarper Forumite
    17.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 August 2011 at 6:52PM
    Sorry but I think all you property rampers are going to get burnt.

A house is a place to live not a speculative asset. I'm sure you noticed the international property bubble of the last decade and the economic meltdown it has caused.

Do you really think that house prices which are traditionally 3.5 times wages but now 6 will survive at such overvalued rates especially when all over the world the other property prices are falling.

Why if every thing is so hunky dory when we have had year on year price falls despite interest rates being 0.5%. Surely that must send alarm bells in your head.

If you can't see the lag factor with the house price surveys going back to the spring bounce I feel sorry for you. So under your understanding prices will keep on rising where I see them continuing to fall.

House prices are not 6x earning using the same set of figures that you get your 3.5x from.

I believe the salary used is full time male which gives you a figure of about 4.5x
    28.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well you've been wrong this year, last year and the year before.

And I've been right all three of those years.

I rather suspect you'll be wrong next year too, but time will tell. :)

28.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ukcarper wrote: »
    I believe the salary used is full time male which gives you a figure of about 4.5x

Correct. 4.5 times today, versus a long term average of 4.0.

This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS