baby shower?? anyone given one?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Special Occasions & Other Celebrations
10 replies 1.5K views
LilacPixieLilacPixie Forumite
8.1K Posts
✭✭✭✭
I am looking for some help regardig a baby shower. My sister has had a bad bad bad pregnancy and I would like to do something to hopefully erase or overshadow some of the bad things.

Anyone got any ideas of what i could do, I don't want it to be some gift fishing excercise :o just something to give good memories ad a chance to relax before the birth, baby has some issues and will need treatment on delivery.

ETA oh and i'm pretty skint so i need to do it on a low a budget as possible :)
MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D

Replies

• LJMLJM Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    i did my sisters we arranged a big meal out 24 of us had some balloons made up and each one wrote a note about my sister and to the baby which was sweet we also all gave her handmade items too which she loved some included a crochet baby blanket from me,bag charms,personalised piccie frames and an album,yet with little cash you could still do a nice meal in or get everyone to bring something to have a buffet,a cake some handmade gifts,but having your closet friends their to me is the most important thing.
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • LilacPixieLilacPixie Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks LJM

I am quite reasonable at cooking so I could throw together a basic buffet just mini quiches, chicken bits cold meat etc and I could make a cake. I had never thought about a banket.. time to get out the crochet hook i think
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
  • LJMLJM Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    nothing like a lovely home made gift that is practical too xx
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • emz118emz118 Forumite
    600 Posts
    We did one at school for a fellow teacher (who now has a GORGEOUS baby girl!)

Everyone brought something edible, we had a list up beforehand so that we didn't all bring the same.
    We decrated the room with baloons and streamers.
    We each brought a small gift (less than £5 was our rule, but have done less than £2 in the past, which was great!) and popped them all in one big pink box.

We did it in a lunchtime, so this was all we had time for, but I would maybe see what you can do about making it into a pamper party... footspa's are often on freecycle or cheap at car boot sales. You could do each others nails, do facemasks and soak your feet. Lovely!!!

I also like the idea of having a book or something which could be full of messages/tips for the Mum to Be from any friends/family who have already had babies.

Enjoy it!!! xXx
    First date 10.2.2002
    Engaged 18.8.2010
    Wedding 9.4.2012
    Baby #1 due 26.2.2014 :j
  • hi,

my mum organised mine at my house. she made invites in shape of baby boots, stated everyone had to wear boots and worded them that gifts were not expected but if anyone did want to get anything could they please get boots vouchers. she placed all the baby bootees/socks around my lounge, and everyone was given a "bump" (balloon attached to clothes/up tops etc) so i wasnt at a disadvantage playing games.

she also asked for everyone to bring a baby/child photo and a recent 1 of themselves, they were attached to 2 boards - match the photos was 1 game.

she drew out a huge baby (on wall paper) and we took it in turns to put the pin on the nappy - another game.

we had a bow of flour with jelly babies on the top, with hands behind back you had to get the jelly babies. was really funny.

we did a mini sweepstake (3 guesses for £1) on what babies weight would be, with the winner getting the money - my friend who won it when my son arrived gave the money to my son.

everyone wrote their "helpful" hints n tips to do with babies in a book, and also wrote special messages to me. i still have all of the bits in loft.

we used gingerbread boy/girl cutters to make boy/girl shaped pizzas, and did the same for gingerbread cookies. i had a big cookie cake with baby shower on it, then just crisps n sausages etc.

hope this helps. x
    due to spilling coffee :coffee: on my keyboard it works when it wants to :rotfl:

member 1254 sealed pot 4
  • linzi_hlinzi_h Forumite
    197 Posts
    hi,

my mum organised mine at my house. she made invites in shape of baby boots, stated everyone had to wear boots and worded them that gifts were not expected but if anyone did want to get anything could they please get boots vouchers. she placed all the baby bootees/socks around my lounge, and everyone was given a "bump" (balloon attached to clothes/up tops etc) so i wasnt at a disadvantage playing games.

she also asked for everyone to bring a baby/child photo and a recent 1 of themselves, they were attached to 2 boards - match the photos was 1 game.

she drew out a huge baby (on wall paper) and we took it in turns to put the pin on the nappy - another game.

we had a bow of flour with jelly babies on the top, with hands behind back you had to get the jelly babies. was really funny.

we did a mini sweepstake (3 guesses for £1) on what babies weight would be, with the winner getting the money - my friend who won it when my son arrived gave the money to my son.

everyone wrote their "helpful" hints n tips to do with babies in a book, and also wrote special messages to me. i still have all of the bits in loft.

we used gingerbread boy/girl cutters to make boy/girl shaped pizzas, and did the same for gingerbread cookies. i had a big cookie cake with baby shower on it, then just crisps n sausages etc.

hope this helps. x

That sounds really good! My SIL is going to arrange for one for a friend and yours sounds like something our friend would love! :)
  • chloeccchloecc Forumite
    239 Posts
    I keep getting asked if I'm having one by my friends, but no one has offered to do one for me.....trouble with being the organiser i guess....my family don't believe in 'showy' parties, mum said she'd come but I think they think it's an americanised thing. I might do my own, not sure if that's seen as being a bit weird?? Feel like it'd be nice to have friends over though even just for an afternoon of fun after being out of it for the past 6 1/2 months

Do you think it's weird to put on your own baby shower??
    "He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money." Benjamin Franklin
  • Janey21Janey21 Forumite
    189 Posts
    chloecc wrote: »
    I keep getting asked if I'm having one by my friends, but no one has offered to do one for me.....trouble with being the organiser i guess....my family don't believe in 'showy' parties, mum said she'd come but I think they think it's an americanised thing. I might do my own, not sure if that's seen as being a bit weird?? Feel like it'd be nice to have friends over though even just for an afternoon of fun after being out of it for the past 6 1/2 months

Do you think it's weird to put on your own baby shower??

Hi Chloe
    Baby showers are usually organized by someone else for the mum to be but if you want to do your own then do it as a little get together for your family and close friends, what does it matter, your worth it!!! you can call it a 'anticipation of the new arrival' party lol...
    Janey x ;)
  • edited 3 August 2011 at 10:02AM
    louby-lou-loulouby-lou-lou Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 3 August 2011 at 10:02AM
    i recently went to one and it was a right laugh. it was just a few family members and close friends to the mum2b. We chit chatted and the GM2b told us all tales about the mum2b when she was young. We had buffet style food, wine for us and soft drinks for mum2b.
    the host did a prize for everyone raffle at £1 ( we all won some sort of sweets or choc bar so cheap and simple) the money was given to the mum2b for her to buy something for the baby.

The host gave her pamper products that we all smelt and tried. we play games all sound mayb naff but were so funny. baby bingo, pin the dummy on the baby, guess the name on our heads and scooping cotton wool from one bowl to another blindfolded.

bit more food and chat. We didn't leave untill 11.30pm it was that good.

The host of this shower also did her own a couple of months before, i didn't go to that one but as far as i know it was roughly the same.

i think a mini make over would be lovely. mum2b could sit on the sofa with her feet in a bowl of water while guests do a mini facial then do her makeup and hair
    :)Mummy to 2 wonderful boys :)
    Want to be fit for 30 not fat at 30
    but i want never gets!!!
  • Here's a good baby shower game, you need nappies and a variety of choc bars. Melt each choc bar by microwaving briefly, put 1 choc bar in each nappy, number the nappy and make sure you write down which choc bar went into which nappy. Each guest then has to eat their choc and guess what it is. Totally gross but very very funny. We also had a sweepstake, Guess the birth date using the due date as a starting point.
    "Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it." (Montgomery, L.M.(1908). Anne of Green Gables.)
    Debt Free Nerd No. 186 Debt was £16,534.03 Now £9,588.50
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

PCR tests to end for fully vaccinated

Travellers returning to England in Oct

MSE News

Free Homebuilding & Renovating Show tix

London, Harrogate & Shepton Mallet

MSE Deals