Dogs Trust Campaign to make Microchipping compulsory.

in Pets & Pet Care
21 replies 1.4K views

Replies

• I had my dog done but if I'd known that there may be a risk, no matter how small, I would have liked to have known about it as part of my consideration. I didn't know that there was any risk at all. I read the vetsblog and there clearly is, it's just a small risk. No for me now to compulsoury microchipping.
  • dizziblondedizziblonde Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    One of mine ISN'T chipped at the moment - reason being she's just started on a pet insurance policy and as they haven't seen her before the vet want to do a full health check at the same time as doing the microchip - so waiting out the 14 day exclusion period before she goes anywhere near the vet's surgery lol. She'll get done in the next few weeks (probably after payday). She is, however tattooed in the ear as part of her racing past and so is fairly traceable anyway. Other dog was done by the rescue prior to us getting him.

I do object to the ridiculous charges to maintain your details by some of the providers - think it's £20 to change the cat's details and, since she never goes out of the house and we're very careful about her not escaping, I'm not up to date on it.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • trudihatrudiha Forumite
    398 Posts
    I've got nothing against microchips, both of my dogs were done. However, I can't see any point in bringing in a new law when there seems to be no interest whatsoever in enforcing the ones we already have.

It's already illegal to have a dog out without an id tag but my dog warden has told me that the local authority don't have the resources or see it as a priority to enforce this, why would the microchips be any different? It would just be another expense for the majority of responsible dog owners, some of whom have good reason for not chipping, while the tiny minority of gob!!!!! owners who ignore every other piece of legislation would ignore this one too.
  • *Robin**Robin* Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Stoptober Survivor
    One of my dogs is on his third chip, after the others either stopped working or were expelled. The last time his latest chip was checked, it was eventually discovered somewhere in the region of his b***s (it had been implanted behind his ear about eighteen months previously). Next time we want to travel, I expect we'll have to replace the chip again - and, much more hassle; his pet-passport.

Another problem is that there are several different types of chip which require separate chip-readers. Once, we were turned away from Caen port and obliged to drive to Cherbourg, change our ferry tickets and spend a night sleeping in the car-park because the authorities at Caen didn't have a reader that could find the chip.

Before it is made compulsory, the chip-making companies should be forced to adopt a single system.
  • TropezTropez Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    trudiha wrote: »
    I've got nothing against microchips, both of my dogs were done. However, I can't see any point in bringing in a new law when there seems to be no interest whatsoever in enforcing the ones we already have.

It's already illegal to have a dog out without an id tag but my dog warden has told me that the local authority don't have the resources or see it as a priority to enforce this, why would the microchips be any different? It would just be another expense for the majority of responsible dog owners, some of whom have good reason for not chipping, while the tiny minority of gob!!!!! owners who ignore every other piece of legislation would ignore this one too.

If it were to become compulsory then the government could easily contract enforcement to private security firms, as they already do with other things.
    4.3K Posts
    trudiha wrote: »

Our local dog wardens have actually been out and about fairly recently checking on dog tags and collars in the local park (thankfully not the same day our boy decided to whomp off into the bushes in the ineffectual persuit of a bunny and returned to us naked - but we have spare collars in the boot of the cars for such an eventuality) and while not fining people, do give them a pretty fair telling off when they catch them without collars on their dogs - the layout of our local park being such that many just open the car door, let the dog hop out and don't bother with a lead at all (seriously don't get me started on THAT one :mad:).
  • BeckyyBeckyy Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Tropez wrote: »
    It costs me £15 to get a dog chipped. I don't really consider that ridiculous as there are ongoing database costs and the vets time to consider.

I think that's reasonable - but our local vets charge double that. Petlog then ask for an extra £10 if you need to change your details, or want 'enhanced' features. Fair enough, but it isn't appealing to people who are on a budget and already aprehensive about getting it done.

Obviously there are many places you will microchip for a smaller fee, but people don't always know about them.
    4.3K Posts
    Beckyy wrote: »
    I think that's reasonable - but our local vets charge double that. Petlog then ask for an extra £10 if you need to change your details, or want 'enhanced' features. Fair enough, but it isn't appealing to people who are on a budget and already aprehensive about getting it done.

Obviously there are many places you will microchip for a smaller fee, but people don't always know about them.

£26 from our vet... and yes that's the exact up to date price cos I was on the phone to find it out in the last week.
  • Shepherd1Shepherd1 Forumite
    307 Posts
    What about tatoos, easier to identify and is a deterrent to people stealing dogs.
    4.3K Posts
    Shepherd1 wrote: »
    What about tatoos, easier to identify and is a deterrent to people stealing dogs.

My dog has an ear tattoo anyway by virtue of her racing past (she's a retired greyhound) - it's a completely illegible blue splodge by now.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals