Married Quarters (MQ) Residents - Page 41

New Post Advanced Search

Married Quarters (MQ) Residents

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in UK Armed Forces MoneySaving
421 replies 86.3K views

Replies

• N22ENEN22ENE Forumite
    4 posts
    Hi, This might be a completely mad thing to ask but thought I'd ask it anyway.

We've just been allocated a quarter and the person who is still occupying has let us in to have a look around. She's lived in it for 5 years. The whole house is covered in woodchip wallpaper, could we ask for this to be removed before moving in or does it just have to be clean for us?

After 18 years of married quarters I have never ever had woodchip on my walls lol and I'm not looking forward to having to live with the godforsaking stuff!!

Cheers
    Nene x
  • 13Kent13Kent Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    We've had woodchip - in magnolia - we used to call them "rice pudding walls".

I think you'll probably be stuck with them I'm afraid :p

• N22ENEN22ENE Forumite
    4 posts
    Yuck!! Great!!! lol
  • maddymoomaddymoo Forumite
    35 posts
    You never know what you might find if you had it taken off. It's probably the only thing holding the house together anyway! We had it in our last MQ and you do get used to it (eventually).
  • N22ENEN22ENE Forumite
    4 posts
    maddymoo wrote: »
    You never know what you might find if you had it taken off. It's probably the only thing holding the house together anyway! We had it in our last MQ and you do get used to it (eventually).

Not sure I'm convinced that I'll get used to it however I do agree it's probably what's holding the house together lol...oh the joys of military accommodation! lol
  • 13Kent13Kent Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know which service you are, but there is a facebook page called RAF quarters which is really useful for info.

• N22ENEN22ENE Forumite
    4 posts
    13Kent wrote: »
    Don't know which service you are, but there is a facebook page called RAF quarters which is really useful for info.

Thanks for that, hubby is Army and just found an Army Quarters facebook page which is great. Many thanks again x
  • Archer0710Archer0710 Forumite
    239 posts
    Archer0710 wrote: »
    I am hoping someone can help me with my carpet issue please.

We marched into the Quarter in Feb last year and were told the carpets were life expired but there was no budget to replace them and we were to reapply the following year. My Husband duly did and was told no budget and they were only being replaced on H&S grounds.

Finally this year we got them to come out and inspect them, the Housing officer had barely stepped inside the door before she told me we wouldn’t get them replaced. Our two main carpets aren’t held down by anything as the edges are that frayed and they are heavily wrinkled and decomposed but she agreed they could be repined and extra metal grippers put in at the thresholds (they would be then swapped when we were posted). MODern came out yesterday and the poor guy said there was nothing to pin, no guts in the carpets to restretch and although he tried they are now coming up again. The worst one is the one between the kitchen dining room where it is literally just laid on the floor. The carpets appear to be (according to MODern original thus 19 years old)

How can I fight this to get them changed? It appears as we have no children and horror of horrors a dog that they don’t want to do them. We were due posting next month but that’s changed. I wouldn’t care but these carpets are horrendous. You have to step carefully from room to room and hovering them just rips them apart more to the point where you dread doing it each time. Equally if they are going to do it given the upheaval I want the whole lot done not a fight each and every time along the same lines.

Oh and other people with dogs appear to be getting much better carpets than ours changed. I am not one of these people that would bother just cos the carpets aren;t the right colour etc these are just plain unacceptable now.

Any advice please?

Further to this DE - despite a written request and my husband going in person to see their rep are refusing to tell us the age of our carpets.

We have them coming Tuesday to "make safe" the carpets which was what supposedly should have been done before (and to which the Modern Guy laughed and said "What on earth do they think I can do with these") and they are saying we need to take it up with Brampton.

Is this the case can someone please advise me where to take this from here. I understand that 10 years is a guide, however my carpets are well and truly ;)....past their best and not held down by anything!
    Can I ever learn this budgeting lark? So far it's not looking promising
    Lloyds loan - gone forever! :T
    Bank of Mum and Dad gone forever!
    Emergency Fund £1500 :T
  • eggfriedeggfried Forumite
    24 posts
    Hi,

We have been in our MQ for nearly 6 months and I'm a little worried about a tree that sits in the middle of the chicken wire fence between mine and my neighbours garden only half of it has leaves on and the rest seems to be dead and the branches (albeit small at the moment) are falling off. Who's responsibility is it? Can I just ring up MHS for them to come and have a look or do I have to get a tree doctor person in?
  • EmmEveEmmEve Forumite
    260 posts
    Ring MHS. They should deal with this. You aren't allowed to touch the trees yourself. They all have their own identifying plaques too:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support