Not happy with Virgin Media Broadband...

edited 30 June 2011 at 11:39AM in Broadband & Internet Access
8 replies 975 views
microserfsmicroserfs Forumite
30 Posts
Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 June 2011 at 11:39AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hi there :)

Wondered if anyone could give me some advice before I take the plunge and dive into the deep end.

I'm currently with Virgin Media, but unfortunately in my area it's not cabled so when I moved it from previous address I only ended up with the national package (no TV). I'm on the unlimited internet and phone line, but I feel like I'm being ripped off tbh! Not only did I feel like I was paying the same amount for ALOT more in the previous address (I pay £35 a month) but I've noticed there are people who pay ALOT less and get medium and large TV packages also. I know there's a huge difference between fibre optic and national, but also the speed I'm getting is a max of 1MB (if I'm lucky, which is never - its usually around 500Kb/s at the most) but I'm still paying over the hills!

Do I complain and see if they'll lower my costs for me as I'm really struggling to see why I should be paying these ridiculous prices? Has anyone successfully managed to do this lol? I know there may not have been many in my situation, I can imagine most of the UK is highly cabled by now!!

Just to add - I would call to cancel and see if I can get a better deal but unfortunately since moving I'm stuck in another NEW contract for 12 months, of which it has only been about 3 or 4. I was also with them for about 9 months previous to the prior address at a different address to that but due to relationship breakdown had to move taking the broadband with (which they then put me in a new contract for) I think I was getting a much better offer there too!!!

Thanks though :)

Replies

• kwikbreakskwikbreaks Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are much better ADSL providers than Virgin but if you are in contract it probably isn't worth paying to get out early.

Most of the country isn't cabled - I think it may be 50% by population but by area it would be a tiny % of ADSL coverage.

Your poor ADSL speeds may be down to your internal wiring. Have you done any research on that?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php will help you find your connection stats which you should post up for comments.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm discusses improving internal wiring which is basically a matter or isolating any ring wires in extension wiring. Noise pickup on ringwires can really reduce sync rates.
  • edited 30 June 2011 at 12:33PM
    microserfsmicroserfs Forumite
    30 Posts
    edited 30 June 2011 at 12:33PM
    Weird... I tried looking up my router etc, I have a Netgear so it should have technically been one of the two that were listed (there were three but it wasn't the oldest looking)... however upon trying to log into the router it didn't seem to let me. :( I put in "admin" and "password". Isn't this usual?

I may be getting suffering speeds due to downloading wirelessly instead of through an ethernet too, but to be honest when I connect the cable it really makes no difference whatsoever to the speed so it seems.

Otherwise not too sure on the wiring etc, they were the ones who had to rewire it for broadband as there was a problem on the line previously.

Ah, my bad - my netgear is a different model and it wasn't listed on kitz. Any idea what I should look for in the settings?
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need the connection/line statistics

The most imprtant things are

Sync rate (may be called something different such as connection speed)
    Attenuation
    Noise margin

There will be numbers for each of those for both upstream and downstream.

You need to identify the master socket - this will normally be the first socket on the cable coming in from outside. There are photos on the Kitz site. That is the best place to connect your router. Any ring wires on the faceplate should be removed (again the kitz site shows this). Do not run your router on a plugin extension. If there are any plug in extensions filter them at the socket end.
  • bod1467bod1467
    15.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the Netgear, what is the model? Also the userid/password may have been set by Virgin (assuming that they sent it to you). Perhaps try virgin and password? (A quick Google seems to throw these up).
  • microserfsmicroserfs Forumite
    30 Posts
    Well I got into the router settings but to be honest I have no idea about the master socket or any such thing! I think the master socket is in the kitchen (am in one bedroom flat) but I'm not too clever with stuff like that...

It's not the speed really that annoys me the most, I just wanna get the price down a bit without compromising too much of my package.
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    microserfs wrote: »
    I just wanna get the price down a bit without compromising too much of my package.
    As you are in contract that will probably be tricky. All you can do is dial 150 and take the "I'm thinking of leaving" option and ask what you can do to reduce the price.

If you cba to read some simple guides on how to improve your internal wiring then your speeds will remain slow or maybe get slower still.
  • microserfsmicroserfs Forumite
    30 Posts
    I could probably try that.

It's not that I cba, it's that fiddling around with stuff I don't understand could compromise me to damaging or ruining something. I'm not an electrician or anything, and I've never wired anything in my life, that's all.
    9.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fair enough but it really isn't very difficult. Maybe an iPlate is what you need which is intended for self install.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides