Forum Home» How much have you saved?

Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 2 - Page 130

New Post Advanced Search

Frugal Living Challenge 2011 - part 2

edited 2 April 2011 at 8:11AM in How much have you saved?
1.3K replies 108K views

Replies

• 23rdspiral23rdspiral Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Car Insurance Carver! Xmas Saver!
    hello everyone! i hope you are all well and happy? have we all had June PAYDAY yet? i have and was pleased of it, despite the realisation that yes, my wages really are lower with the new job.

so i'm back from Glastonbury Festival. I had an amazing week working in the Theatre and Circus Fields and had experiences money couldnt buy... eg i 'fixed' Holly the computer from Red Dwarf (ie, i spent 2 hours with him helping him though a camping crisis!), saw brilliant roots bands (3 daft monkeys) and world bands (U2), and witnessed some stunning world class circus (Circolumbia and Space Cowboy being highlights).
    I did sadly get a bad cold with a fever so didnt manage to do everything i'd hoped, but it was fab none the less. and that meant i drank less cider so saved money there too!
    On a frugal front, we were fed 2 meals a day (vegan and healthy) apart from sunday, and i took mugshots and value cup a soups, so i didnt spend much at all compared to previous years. My not so frugal bit was buying a few clothes on very good offers and i treated myself to a silver ring... but still spent less than previous years due to food being so expensive there.
    we sat in traffic for most of yesterday to get home (8hr trip, was 3.30 to get there!) so after detangling my hair i finally showered at 1am!

I think it will take me a few days to catch up with all the posts... though i'm sad to see from a scan of the top page that there has been another spat. oh dear.
    Relax, Breathe, Love 2014 Challenges:Cross Stitch Cafe Challenger 23. Frugal Living Challenger. No buying cleaning products. I used MSE advice to reduce my car insurance from 550 to 325!! & paid it off in full!!!
  • rubytuesdayrubytuesday Forumite
    22.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooh glad you had a good time 23rdspiral - you may have met the fridge I gave to someone running a theatre project at Glastonbury through freecycle.
    Here dead we lie because we did not choose
    To live and shame the land from which we sprung.
    Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose,
    But young men think it is,
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • gingerandrubarbgingerandrubarb Forumite
    427 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I shall talk about cats then!

I've just got back from taking one of my other cats Wedgewood to the vets today as she has cystitis - apparently caused from an over active thyroid gland!

She could have an operation but at thirteen I'm not comfortable with that and the vet agreed so she will probably be on medication indefinitely after the results of her blood test.

Welcome Weequine hopefully we will get back to being a pleasant friendly thread for you to take part in.

Gingerandrubarb (great name!) to make the spicy rice I make chicken stock with the carcass and in the mean time fry an onion, flat mushroom and red pepper (sometimes green or orange too depending on quantity) and a good pinch of cayenne pepper and some sweet chilli sauce, then add the rice and then the chicken stock bring to the boil simmer then add the forgotten kidney beans and chickpeas and left over chicken and heat through.

Think that's about it. x

Thank you RubyTuesday (also a fab name :D) I will definately be trying this over the weekend. I'll let you know how it goes but going on the ingredients i know it will be yum,yum,yum!! :T
    Blogger / Money Saver
    Make £2020 in 2020 Challenge - Accepted
  • edited 28 June 2011 at 7:57PM
    rising_from_the_ashesrising_from_the_ashes Forumite
    12.4K posts
    Home Insurance Hacker! Debt-free and Proud! PPI Party Pooper
    edited 28 June 2011 at 7:57PM
    Don't know if this will work .....

I have still not topped up my mobile this year!:D (or maybe that just means I've no friends):( only joking, I topped up with £50 around Christmas and am trying to use sparingly - only around £8 left.

I know my budget's large compared to some, but this is EVERYTHING including mortgage, council tax etc (which I think some people exclude)?

Buildings/Contents overspent due to paying Jan - May monthly and then June '11 - May '12 "in a oner"

Pets - still needs a bit of work .. (comments below) - hoping this means they'll be "back on track" next quarter.
    Dog - have just had his 6 month check-up, prescription & ordered 4 months of his medication.
    Cats - just got big bags of their food on offer and these should last around 3/4 months.

Car - service, breakdown cover and tax all done until Jan '12.

expensestoendjune-2.png
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • still waiting for the DLA decision, bought a dvd for my son from amazon for £3 'cos he is a superstar (and film club is clashing with another thing he does so he won't be able to see the other half of the film unless I buy it.)
    Other than that a NSD.
    Am doing a Carol Vordeman detox so I don't have to buy a whole new bigger size wardrobe for the summer, I have loads of lovely clothes and they are all too tight! Off to comfort eat celery now!
    Tumptyteapot

• Oh the embarrassment 47 years ago! :o I was on the Central Line, and bent down to pick up something, and a wasp flew down my top and bra, and stung me. I screamed, and my friend yelled "let me see" ....... in a crowded train! We were coming into a station, so we rushed out, into the Ladies Only Waiting Room, and sure enough, I'd been stung next to my nipple. :eek:

We knew there was a chemist nearby, so went there, and he applied some cream and said, "let's find something to put over it, so your clothing doesn't rub" and produced .............. an eggcup!!

My friend was doubled up laughing, and I made a great sight, walking along with one boob sticking out in a cone shape (all bras were like that) and the other boob with an eggcup outline! But I still went into work, and nobody said a thing, though everybody stared!!!

:rotfl:Oh Sandra, I needed that! Thank you - I literally have tears in my eyes at the thought of it!:rotfl:
    For all those single ladies on here .........next time it is scorching I will invite you round to my house as the street was full of half naked men :rotfl: all young raf officers. Of course being married I am not interested:A:p

Ohhhh, yes please!:D

Ruby sorry to hear you've been at the vets again with one of your fur babies, hope she's feeling a bit better soon. My "old" cat had problems with cystitis/stones and then kidney disease so know how uncomfortable it can be for them - you just feel so helpless.

Dog had his 6 month check-up yesterday and the vet's pleased with how he's doing - fingers crossed he stays comfortable for a long time yet.

Welcome to Weequine and MrsB31
    22.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you rising - glad your boy is doing well.

I am now in a panic as Marmalade has been AWOL since this morning and she hasn't had her medication!
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • She's probably just "reminding you" that you took her to "the horrible place" this morning!

Sure she'll be back soon - I hate it when mine do a disappearing act!
    22.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    She's probably just "reminding you" that you took her to "the horrible place" this morning!

Sure she'll be back soon - I hate it when mine do a disappearing act!

No this is the one that I took last week who has the liver tumour Rising.

I've just walked round the block both sides calling to no avail - probably she'll turn up tomorrow oblivious to our anxiety but I hate the cats being out overnight too many foxes and weirdos!
    And we were young.
    A E Housman
  • redglass_2redglass_2 Forumite
    771 posts
    I've now been reported by her, and am so upset that what I thought was help and concern, has been completely misconstrued, and also disrupted this lovely, helpful and harmonious board.

xx

SandraScarlett, it was help and concern, and I'm sure everyone realises that.

Welcome, Mrs B31!
    Off to comfort eat celery now!
    ????????????????

Celery? I'm about as likely to comfort-eat celery as I am to get legs like Beyonce's. I think that is PERVERTED. ;)
    'Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin now.' Goethe

This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support