Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

I'm eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

I'm eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Gone Off!
11K replies 738.2K views

Replies

• cheerfulness4cheerfulness4 Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moorhen wrote: »
    I have also discovered tons of frozen fresh fruit, redcurrants, white currants, blackberries and raspberries. Shame it has not been crumble weather.

No but it is Summer Pudding weather! ;) I've also discovered some blackberries and blackcurrants so think I might just stew a few down and cool for adding to my Greek yogurt in the mornings.

Actually I found rhubarb and did it with that and it is delicious stirred through. Tasted like a lovely fruit fool.
  • NKLKNKLK Forumite
    970 posts
    All berries go with a meringue
    ..(/(/
    =(';')= Stripper No.28
    .(")(") myfitnesspal: 38lbs lost!! :):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    That reminds me I have a bag of summer fruits in my freezer I think I will dig it out and make something with it I have three past-their best eating apples in the fruit bowl so I may make a nice crumble with them all.
    last night I had a peppered beefburger which I had forgotten about and two cheese and leek veggie sausages that I had got 'whoopsied' ages ago I had them with mash and green beens all froom my freezer. I know I have a big ham hock in there so I might dig that out today and SC overnight It will give me quite a bit of stock towards my soups which I want to make .
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.2K posts
    I made egg/bacon pie for dinner last night......10 oz home made shortcrust pastry, 4 eggs, 1 tomato, 6 oz bacon and half an onion. It is an old recipe - Yorkshire egg/bacon pie.....I like that the eggs are put in the pie whole rather than beaten first. Delicious hot or cold for summer picnics. Makes a large pie - only two of us - so it does three dinners. We had it last night with roast pots + roast baby sweetcorn/beetroot and the rest of the onion. Going to have it tonight with home made spicy wedges/carrots/peas. We will have smoked haddock from the freezer for dinner tomorrow and the rest of the pie on Saturday.
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Naffito wrote: »

and and oh oh Cream! just found some lurking in freezer,out it comes and into me.
    Slimming World at target
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 23 June 2011 at 1:15PM
    gitwgitw Forumite
    133 posts
    edited 23 June 2011 at 1:15PM
    hmmm well my first night of eating only from the freezer was errr... interesting

found some chopped onions and an unidentified vacum pac in the freezer, looked like chicken so thought great will make some pasta (still got 7 packs left from approved foods), along with one of the billion jars of sauce that have overtaken my cupboards and basement stairs.

chicken turned out to be rhubarb..... not quite so nice with salsa sauce as you can imagine... niece refused point blank to entertain the thought of eating it so I quickly defrosted one of the packs of bacon which i don't even remember buying or why and used that instead. sent my niece out to the shops to get a couple of apples and made a rhubarb and apple crumble - no custard so made a milky cream sauce with a couple of real berries in jars (again from approved food) and had a rather surprisingly lush dessert

tonight i shall attempt the chicken again!
  • Naffito wrote: »

I regularly make a sugar free jelly and add in fruit. I just made a raspberry jelly to put my raspberries in.

If you buy soft fruit and blueberries in the reduced, putting them in jelly prolongs the life of the fruit.
  • Id like to join in for this! May need milk and bread but other than that hoping to last the month (ie, july) on what we already have in! I pretty much know whats in my freezer (mostly mince based meals!) and have enough rice/pasta/tortilla wraps to last for about 3 months or so ! but may get bored of mince plus rice/pasta/wraps so will need to be creative!...
  • AllegraAllegra Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    You guys might be interested in this thread over on Old Style....

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=20967=store+cupboard+challenge
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    gitw wrote: »
    hmmm well my first night of eating only from the freezer was errr... interesting

found some chopped onions and an unidentified vacum pac in the freezer, looked like chicken so thought great will make some pasta (still got 7 packs left from approved foods), along with one of the billion jars of sauce that have overtaken my cupboards and basement stairs.

chicken turned out to be rhubarb..... not quite so nice with salsa sauce as you can imagine... niece refused point blank to entertain the thought of eating it so I quickly defrosted one of the packs of bacon which i don't even remember buying or why and used that instead. sent my niece out to the shops to get a couple of apples and made a rhubarb and apple crumble - no custard so made a milky cream sauce with a couple of real berries in jars (again from approved food) and had a rather surprisingly lush dessert

tonight i shall attempt the chicken again!

Forgive me, as I know how annoying this can be,but it really made me chuckle,it reminded me of the time I took my Son what I thought was Beef Curry and turned out to be faggots .
    Slimming World at target
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support