MSE News: Scottish Power to hike energy prices

edited 7 June 2011 at 1:47PM in Energy
655 replies 55K views
ricky9ricky9 Forumite
141 Posts
edited 7 June 2011 at 1:47PM in Energy
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:
"Scottish Power has announced it will hike electricity prices by 10% and gas prices by a whopping 19% from 1 August, in a bitter blow to 2.4 million households. ..."

Read the full story:
Scottish Power to hike energy prices

OfficialStamp.gif

Back to original Post:

Scottish Power Price Rise from August
10% on Electricity and 19% on Gas.
Will all the sheep follow

Replies

• *onlyme**onlyme* Forumite
    947 Posts
    Just seen it on the news...that is very scary. I am with Eon and on a fixed rate till next year but might be looking if they got anything else fixed for longer and what the difference is as they normally all follow on with hiking prices..
  • £115 per quarter premium to pay on time at the Post Office!

(And, usual suspects, no, I am not contradicting myself.)
    Raymond Jack said: "There are a number of ways we can help lower energy bills. For example, some of our customers could save an average of £459 per year [8] by making simple changes to the way they pay for their energy, switching to paper-free online billing and selecting one of our new or existing energy products.

[8]: Annual average saving of £459 shown is based on an average of ScottishPower dual fuel customers across Britain who make separate quarterly payments (excluding prompt payer discounts) and switch to ScottishPower Direct October 2012 Offer making combined payments monthly by Direct Debit. Comprises a saving of £185 for switching to monthly Direct Debit from quarterly payments (excluding prompt payer discounts) and a saving of £274 for switching to ScottishPower Direct October 2012 Offer (including the Dual Fuel annual discount of £16.80 (inc VAT) and the Online Energy Service annual discount of £15.75 (inc VAT)).
  • papi34papi34 Forumite
    93 Posts
    I'm on their online energy saver 11 tariff. I know there is a £50 bail out on this, so is it worth considering??
  • lqalqa Forumite
    18 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have just come off their fixed rate and looking to implement another.

Question is: Do I remain with SP and go to fixed NOW or uSwitch to somewhere else.

Last time I checked, about 2 weeks ago, SP was still the bestest.
  • That is a horrendous price hike. It will be interesting to see how the others raise their prices. I'm pretty sure it will be somewhere along the same lines.
    It also does nothing to ease the inflation problem in the UK.
  • CharlieBillyCharlieBilly Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    All the energy companies will follow like lambs to the slaughter

Must be a good day to bury bad news ;)
  • beecher2beecher2 Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    This isn't good! I'm regretting going on to their online saver 11 tariff now. Like papi34, I'm wondering if it is worth moving.
  • craggscraggs Forumite
    256 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    This is getting out of hand now!

Does anyone know how i could guess my new price per unit on my tarrif,,i know it will be different amounts on each tarrif the rise it but using the 19% and 10% as the bench mark.

It would give me a better idea if to fix or not.

My current prices are

Electricity primary 17.277 pence per kWh Electricity secondary 10.031 pence per kWh Gas Primary 5.033 pence per kWh Gas secondary 3.647 pence per kWh

Would i just say for eg get the 17.277 + 10% and come up 19.047?

or just add 10% to my yearly electricity bill,same 19% for gas

thanks i know it sounds confusing just hope someone understands me:money:
    Dony worry,be happy...
  • jj_jjjj_jj Forumite
    10 Posts
    papi34 wrote: »
    I'm on their online energy saver 11 tariff. I know there is a £50 bail out on this, so is it worth considering??

I seem to recall hearing that the exit fee would have to be refunded if you were leaving because of a unilateral contract variation (price rise in this case) if you notified your supplier and left within the stipulated period.

I'd stand to be corrected, but I thought that was the case.

J.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

54 ways to ‘DIY it’

According to the MSE Forum

MSE Team Blog

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News

Lidl '£10 off £40 spend' voucher

Via Metro or Daily Mail. Excludes NI

MSE Deals