Hire purchase Unexpected charge

I got a car on hp 3 years ago, once I got my v5 a few weeks after having the car I changed my reg to a private one. The garage where I bought the car from where aware of this.

My hp was arranged through the garage from where i got the car. Last week I got a letter from my finance company (Fga capital) saying they had been made aware that some of my car details had changed and they needed a copy of my v5. I assumed it must have been the private reg so sent a copy of my v5 to them but after 3 years I found this odd that they where only requesting it now.

Today I received another letter from then saying as I'd change my reg to a private one they where adding a £50 fee to my agreement that would come out my bank via debit debit within the next 10 working days.

Is there anything I can do about this charge? I don't see why changing the reg of the car would cost me £50 with no explanation.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there anything I can do about this charge?

pay it?
    I don't see why changing the reg of the car would cost me £50 with no explanation.
    Probably to cover their admin.

If you check your documentation, you should find reference to admin. Or it may be in a secondary document. It is normal for admin charges to be made on admin issues. Especially in relation to change of registration on contract hire.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides