planning a wedding

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
9 replies 824 views
sandie01sandie01 Forumite
4 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
my daughter has just got engaged, but hasnt set a date for the wedding yet. how soon before the date should she start planning and getting prices.

Replies

• Congratulations! :beer:

I arranged our wedding (a fairly big church traditional etc) in just over a year. You can be busy initially busy deciding dates and choosing church or civil ceremony and then once they are sorted and booked everything else can be decided and booked. With us there was a lull for at least 6 months cos most things dont need paying for until 6 weeks before the wedding, so we booked things in April/May time like flowers, dress, venue, church. Then it was full steam ahead after xmas booking mens suits, shoes, underwear, favours, honeymoon,

We were married May last yr.

Please let me know if i can be of any further help.
    Just owe Dad £2500 for a new car
    :A

Paid off car loan 22nd August 2009. :T
  • congratulations to you too
    thanks for your reply - will keep it in mind
  • I am getting married August 08, got engaged september just past. We have booked the church and the reception, but i was really upset in the beginning because the first four reception places that we tried and that i wanted were fully booked for all fridays and saturdays from june till october!!!!! so this really shocked me.

So it all really depends on if there is somewhere you want, or if it has to be during a certain time. Ours had to be during the summer holidays as i am a teacher and had to be on a saturday so people could travel over from london to ireland, so have a think about the date roughly. But alot of people that i have spoken to on the wed that are getting married around the same time have most things booked, even their wedding dresses etc on order...none of these are things that i have done yet..will leave it for a while, but looking for photographer at the moment as photographer, florists, cars etc will just do one wedding per day..so might need booking. Hope this helps..let me know if you need more info, good luck!
  • Unknown1234_2Unknown1234_2 Forumite
    653 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I am planning my wedding now for Feb 2010.

The sooner you start the more research you can do and the better deals you can get : )
  • flis21flis21 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Hi,

I got married in 2004 (got engaged in 2001). We booked the church and reception venue 18 months before and only just managed to get the reception venue, they had a call the week after we booked from someone else wanting the date we had. Really the earlier you want things the better. My Mum works in a stately home that does weddings and they are booked up in the summer months for the next 2 years already.

Basically the earlier you can book things the better. The things that need booking early are church / ceremony venue, reception venue, photographer, videographer and florist.

I left my dress shopping too late, really ideally you should order the dress about 8-10 months before wedding. I left mine until 6 months before. I still got it, but had to do fitting sessions in a bit of a hurry.

Anyway good luck and enjoy it.
    Sorting my life out to give a better life to my
    :heartsmil 2 gorgeous boys :heartsmil
  • leblylebly Forumite
    218 Posts
    Planned mine in three weeks! Married in Registry office, reception and a local restaraunt evening at my parents! Got dress suits rings etc all done in that time! Married by the end of the three weeks, best day ever!

Depends on how big etc anything is possible!
  • MrsTinksMrsTinks Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Main thing... what venue do they want :) I'm arranging mine for next year in May - and already some of the main venues have several bookings for that period ;)
    You can do it in a few weeks if it's going to be a small affair but I'd start thinking about it at least a year in advance... Deciding on budget and who pays what etc firstly then pick a venue in line with the budget :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • I would agree with Tine. It is the venues that get booked up so I would suggest looking at that first. The other stuff is less of a worry.
    Congratulations to you and your daughter!
    CG:beer:
    "You can if you think you can."
    George Reeves
  • GladGlad Forumite, Board Guide
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"][email protected][/EMAIL]. :)
    STAY HOME - PROTECT THE NHS - SAVE LIVES
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals