Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

May 2011 Grocery Challenge - Page 41

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

May 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 April 2011 at 3:42PM in Old Style MoneySaving
945 replies 79.8K views

Replies

• franby64franby64 Forumite
    937 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Just posting to update my total - £146.98 and a third of the way through the month.
    I've only bought bread, milk and bananas this week and am trying not to spend much more before my A*da delivery on Friday night (B*n & J*rry's @ £2 a pot:j).
    May Shopping Challenge. 10/5. Budget £310 Spent £118.25.. £191.75 left. So £9.13 a day.
  • susan946susan946 Forumite
    474 posts
    Nikki - I up the amount of veg in casseroles. Not had any complaints to date!! Also sometimes shave bits off chicken breasts, freeze and store till I have enough for a casserole. I also buy mince (I get the 5% fat because we have to watch our cholesterol levels). I add lentils, oats, chopped onion, carrot, garlic, tin of value chopped tomatoes, herbs, red wine and stock. This makes 6 - 8 portions that I serve with rice or top with mashed pots or root veg, sometimes cheese and serve as cottage pie. Delicious and very economical.
  • I've just updated my siggy - terrible - need to stop buying, should be ok now as AF has visited, I always spend money at "that time of the month", even when I'm aware I'm doing it I can't stop!!

Winged One - have a hug[hug]

Mothership - hope you are feeling better, earache is awful and can be very painful, a visit to the docs is maybe in order if its not getting better

Hello to all the new people

See you all soon

Love and hugs to Spiggle, Hippeichiq - hope you are both ok

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    nikki1986 wrote: »
    quintwins- thanks for your response :)

I'll definitely look into cheaper cuts of meat. Not sure about the chicken as the breasts are stuffed with the cheese and it might just leak everywhere with bits of thigh? But I'll see what other beef I can get for the slow cooker. Do you get yours at a supermarket, or do you go to a butcher?

no it wouldn't work for the parma chicken but would for the curry or if you make casaroles, i get most of my meat in tesco because it's just as cheap as any local butcher and i'm there anyway and i don't mind the quality
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
  • boysmaboysma Forumite
    828 posts
    Hi all

Updating with spends totalling 127.31:eek: Thankfully I now have 2 full freezers and should only need top up shops until 25th.
    Payment A Day £15 (started 17/5/14) :j
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • cookiemumcookiemum Forumite
    139 posts
    Ninth Anniversary
    DH offered to go for milk to Mr M and spent £22.41:mad:

Whiskas pouches are on offer at 3 boxes for £6 so at least he bought a few. Meal plan done until friday so hopefully no more spends until the weekend. It seems like a loooong month so far:)

February Grocery Challenge £301.46/300
    To feed - Me, DH, DD, DS and 1 dog

• espresso21espresso21 Forumite
    196 posts
    I'm a bit behind but, Charlie, you said you don't know what to do with a whole chicken and you usually only use the breasts. I always buy a whole chicken (it's cheaper) and then joint it (which is easy to do if you have a sharp knife). The rest of it can be used easily in meals such as curries, stews and casseroles. The wings are lovely with a marinade - they make great finger food. I know lots of people also use the carcass for stock although I personally can't be bothered- however, I have been know to use it for soup.
    There are some great recipes for chicken on here but if you can't find them I might be able to dig out a few for you, if you give me a while as I am hectically busy at the moment.

Mince is another good ingredient for stretching - again I could probably dig out some recipes if you wanted.

I did well at Morrisons yesterday. Steak was on special (and I do love a good bit of steak); I bought a hefty slab for £7.15 and it did last night's dinner and I am going to have exactly the same thing again tonight. Boring, I know, but it was a great piece of rump!
  • CRANKY40CRANKY40 Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how long home made chicken soup would be ok in the fridge for please. I made it on Sunday, had some yesterday and there's still a bit left. Will I poison myself if I eat it tomorrow?
  • Cranky40 - I'm sure it will be fine. I've eaten soup up to 5 days old before & never had any trouble. I have just updated my signature with spends & deductions! I actualy took my lamb that didn't smell nice back to Mr T last night & got a refund so pleased about that. Really, really got to cut down on spends now as it is less than 10 weeks till we go on holiday & savings for holiday so far are zilch!
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • Milly-Ann-MollyMilly-Ann-Molly Forumite
    519 posts
    500 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    Evening all, I had to buy more today as my son brought home 5 people for tea (3 pizzas 3 garlic baguettes and a batch of cakes made...) and I ran out of bread and milk...no yeast in store cupboard so had to pay £1.55 for a loaf in village store...:( Tomorrow I hope for an NSD again...I am destined to be overdrawn by sunday (when my hubby needs a car full of deisel :eek:... I have been running on fumes for weeks)
    Rant over...now where is the cupcake I saved myself for tonights cuppa :T

My balance so far this month is now £172.08
    Make £/day February: £163.83 / £290
    Quidco £2,643.80 NSD Feb: 5
    2018 Road Kill £0
    Nectar 8.05 Morrisons 15.00