Replies

• Mudd14Mudd14 Forumite
    856 Posts
    Its better than I predicted, i thought it would only reach £6.00
  • sweetilemonsweetilemon Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well i suppose as other people have said it depends on many things. Im above NMW now but for a few years my partner and i lived and paid a mortgage on a 1 bed flat food bills and a car. We worked and still do many hours to make sure it covers outgoings. I changed job when my hours we reduced in the start of the recession. I generally worked 34hrs and my partner 45.5. Never had any benefits or tax credits.
  • Person_onePerson_one Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well i suppose as other people have said it depends on many things. Im above NMW now but for a few years my partner and i lived and paid a mortgage on a 1 bed flat food bills and a car. We worked and still do many hours to make sure it covers outgoings. I changed job when my hours we reduced in the start of the recession. I generally worked 34hrs and my partner 45.5. Never had any benefits or tax credits.

It is a lot easier to live on where there are two people earning it!

I don't mean to downplay your hard work of course. I'm mainly impressed that you lived with two people in an one bed flat and didn't resort to violence ;)
  • FATBALLZFATBALLZ Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Person_one wrote: »

Some NMW jobs are absolutely essential to the running of society, do you really think its ok that the people who do them live a sort of sub-life, just existing with the bare minimum of acceptable living conditions?

I believe people should live within their means, it's very insulting that you think anybody who doesn't live in a property on their own is living a 'sub-life'. There's house and flat shares or living with your family amongst a host of other options.

People on NMW live a life of absolute luxury compared to some people in 3rd world countries who do far more essential jobs like growing crops, are you suggesting we move 3rd world farmers into individual 3 bed semis in notting hill too?
  • Person_one wrote: »
    It depends on a number of circumstances. Due to luck and a bit of good judgement I live alone but my mortgage payments are only just over half what a room in a shared flat would be in the same area. Yes I pay the bills alone but I also control what is used. It works out cheaper.

Some NMW jobs are absolutely essential to the running of society, do you really think its ok that the people who do them live a sort of sub-life, just existing with the bare minimum of acceptable living conditions?

NMW is liveable on you just have to choose not to have sky + or a new car etc

I would have thought that the vast majority of people would get tax credits as well.
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
  • sweetilemonsweetilemon Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    lol. point taken. We still stay in a 1 bed. small but think you have to live within your means. would like to move out and have another bedroom, bath, seperate kitchen and all those luxuries but hey, will happen someday. on the plus side its a quiet block cause the rest are all holiday homes!
  • edited 7 April 2011 at 9:26PM
    DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 April 2011 at 9:26PM
    It is possible to live on nmw, if you didnt have a car and if work was a short walk away then yes it is possible, different areas of the country are cheaper to live re mortgage etc

im dreading the time when i have to move into my own place, i know i wont be doing it alone due to the costs unless i win the lottery
    28.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NMW is liveable on you just have to choose not to have sky + or a new car etc

I would have thought that the vast majority of people would get tax credits as well.

:rotfl:

A new car? What's one of those? Its not the sky bill causing issues for most people on NMW, its the electricity or the council tax!

I get less than £20 a month tax credits, pays the TV licence which I suppose is a help.
  • i bet you'd be surprised how many peope on NMW have Sky or a relatively new car...
    The Googlewhacker referance is to Dave Gorman and not to my opinion of the search engine!

If I give you advice it is only a view and always always take professional advice before acting!!!

4 people on the ignore list....Bliss!
    28.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i bet you'd be surprised how many peope on NMW have Sky or a relatively new car...

If you can find them (and they aren't in debt) then please, pass on the secret!

(I do have Sky actually, because I'm on an insanely good 'introductory offer' which I will cancel at the end and then wait for them to woo me back ;) but then I earn a bit above NMW)
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides