Wedding Tips start here...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
2.8K replies 722.1K views

Replies

• VezVez Forumite
    58 Posts
    We have registered on this site here, Honey money. Here people can contribute amounts to your honey moon OR if you choose not to book through them, you get a lump sum to use else where.

money

It is tricky when you dont need any thing from a traditional list so we have done this.

My partner and I met through medieval re enactment so we are having a medieval themed wedding. Because of this we have pretty much had to do everything ourselves , and thats saved us a fair bit.
    Smile. Its the second best thing you can do with your lips....
  • Rachie_BRachie_B Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    Well I had one of my bridesmaids over today to try on her dress and the matching shoes I got in the sale:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u243/fluffybunnee/Bridesmaiddress.jpg

Now then, do you reckon ANYONE will be able to tell that the dress AND the shoes together cost £23.99?? :p

No :D

i love the colour ,fab bargains :)
  • redfraggle_2redfraggle_2 Forumite
    737 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi all - first time poster on this thread.

Just wanted to share how we saved loads of money on our wedding invitations.

We used the birthday card and notecard options at a company that prints digital photos (we used Bonusprint). You get to choose the picture on the front (we used a photo of us, but you could choose any royalty-free image off the internet) and the text on the inside.

The birthday card options (which allowed us to print text inside) cost <£2 each, and the noteards (for evening invitations) were <50p

Everyone commented how lovely and individual they were, and we saved a packet!
    737 Posts
    ✭✭
    My sister actually found this store in Edinburgh as she was after a silver alice band with beads for my wedding. After discussing with the designer, she is having one made to her budget of £30-35! I saw a similar item in a bridal store for £183 so I'm going to speak to her about making one for me!

http://www.renewalrus.co.uk/
  • Hi all you gorgeous newleyweds and newleyweds to be!

My lovely partner and I are hoping to get married on New Years Eve 2008 and I've noticed that this has been touched upon here. i was just wondering if you could let me know as guests, how you would feel about being invited to an NYE wedding (a collegue told me she would think it was selfish!) and whether there is anything else I need to consider?

Currently finding out from the venue whether they will allow this as they have a NYE thing each year and may be reluctant to lose all the money they'd make from that! Also, we'll be having a civil ceremony so do you think there'll be any problems getting someone to marry us on that date? Will DJ/photographer etc be a lot more expensive??

Eeek - so excited!

x x
    737 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi Vickitoria

Glad you are so excited about your wedding, and certainly New Years Eve is certainly a special day. However I think you will have to be aware that you are likely to pay more for lots of things.

Essentially, daytime events should be the same cost (cake, cars etc). I think that everything else will be more. you mentioned a civil cerremony, while the ceremony shouldn't affect their New Years Eve plans, anything after that will. They will be missing out on their £90 dinner dance packages etc etc and I think you will be charged heavily to recoup those costs. If your guests are staying over then they will be heavily charged for the same reason. Also, I would imagine photographers, DJs etc will also charge a premium becuase of other lucrative bookings/ losing their new years eve.

Sorry to be a harbinger of doom, and it doesn't mean that you can't get married on NYE, I just think it will cost a lot miore - and why miss out on a great night of the year - have your wedding, and NYE!
  • Guinea_2Guinea_2 Forumite
    505 Posts
    My lovely partner and I are hoping to get married on New Years Eve 2008 and I've noticed that this has been touched upon here. i was just wondering if you could let me know as guests, how you would feel about being invited to an NYE wedding (a collegue told me she would think it was selfish!) and whether there is anything else I need to consider?

x x

Good luck for your planning!! And....I don't think its selfish at all to plan your wedding for New Years Eve. You're giving people a lot of notice AND I find that people always stuggle to find things to do for New Years Eve so you're giving them an option that is so wonderful rather than sit on their own for the evening!!
    :love: Baby Bump born 4th March 2010! :kisses:
  • Fritha_2Fritha_2 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Hi all you gorgeous newleyweds and newleyweds to be!
    Oh you! me, gorgeous *wibble* :o
    First off, congratulations! And secondly as a guest I think it would be lovely to go to a NYE wedding, I have no clue about expense ect so it might be an idea not to get your heart too set on it until you've checked with the venues etc, I'd do it sooner rather than later so you can make other plans if you discover it's going to be too difficult. I do hope it all works out for you tho!
    Comping, freebieing and trying to pay the mortgage off early!
  • Rachie_BRachie_B Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    I think a NYE wedding is a lovely idea :)

those who say you are selfish dont deserve to be invited ;)

But yes,realistically it is going to cost you a lot more than it would on any other day

why not get some quotes and see if its do able ? :)

Good luck with the planning,enjoy :D

x
  • EmmsEmms Forumite
    956 Posts
    Hi all you gorgeous newleyweds and newleyweds to be!

Currently finding out from the venue whether they will allow this as they have a NYE thing each year and may be reluctant to lose all the money they'd make from that! Also, we'll be having a civil ceremony so do you think there'll be any problems getting someone to marry us on that date? Will DJ/photographer etc be a lot more expensive??

Eeek - so excited!

x x

I think a New Years wedding is a great idea too. People who think you are being selfish are just bloody rude! Not everyone goes out to get wasted on New Years so I reckon a lot of people would be quite happy to spend the day at a wedding. Better than sitting in watching the countdown on the tele!

Emma :)
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides