MSE News: Barclays tops banking complaints league table

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Figures from the FSA show the giant received the most official gripes of any bank during the second half of 2010" ..."

Replies

• dtsazzadtsazza Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    They must have pulled out all the stops to steal this award away from the mighty Santander! :rotfl:
  • Lokolo_2Lokolo_2 Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    This quite surprises me, I've been a Barclays customer for about 16 years and hold several accounts with them, never had a single problem (touchwood!)
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It surprised me too - perhaps Santander have lost more customers than they care to admit.
    Less customers = less complaints LOL
  • opinions4uopinions4u
    19.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better measure than usual, but still not the clarity to help find the truth.

This is complaints per 1,000 accounts. Current accounts? Or does it include savings accounts, credit card accounts, loan accounts etc as well?

Banking complaints. Does that just mean complaints about current accounts or does that also include other products such as savings?

Assuming it means all of these, then you would expect providers with a bigger current account base to attract more complaints. Afterall, the typical current account has more transactions on it than the typical savings account.

Santander will, I guess, have far fewer current accounts than Barclays (although siginificantly more savings accounts). As such, it is clear that Barclays, Lloyds, Nat West and RBS should all attract more complaints than Santander. But Santander's remarkable talents pushed them up to second in the table. Reading between the lines I'd say this does confirm them as the bank most likely to generate a complaint.

Other questions also leap out. Why are Lloyds TSB, C&G, BOS and Halifax combined as Lloyds Banking Group when RBS and Nat West are treated as individual entities? Is there something standing out in one of the brands that is hidden by this? What about the likes of Co-op, Smile, First Direct etc who are widely believed to have stronger service standards?

Helpful data, but still lacking in clarity as to who is really rubbish and why.
  • DizzleUKDizzleUK Forumite
    569 Posts
    Personally, I would be more inclined to see a breakdown of the types of complaint received.

Santander are well known for all sorts of messes with account openings, account closures and the suchlike.

If 4 out of the 5.6 complaints to Barclays are about their foreign call centres, then that would be infinitely better than say, 3 out of 5 Santander complaints being about a balls-up on a current account overdraft.

Some complaints are more consequential than others.
    Remember this: nothing worth doing is easy.

• Dr_Cuckoo3Dr_Cuckoo3 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    opinions4u wrote: »

This is complaints per 1,000 accounts. Current accounts? Or does it include savings accounts, credit card accounts, loan accounts etc as well?

Banking complaints. Does that just mean complaints about current accounts or does that also include other products such as savings?

It must include current accounts , savings and credit cards under "banking" as West Bromwich appear in the tables and only offer savings account banking products
    MBNA appear in the tables and only offer credit card banking products
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • opinions4u wrote: »
    Better measure than usual, but still not the clarity to help find the truth.

Looks as though it uncludes everything http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/mar/30/barclays-britains-most-complained-about-bank and I don't buy the guardian.
    1.4K Posts
    opinions4u wrote: »

Why are Lloyds TSB, C&G, BOS and Halifax combined as Lloyds Banking Group when RBS and Nat West are treated as individual entities? Is there something standing out in one of the brands that is hidden by this?

The MSE journalist has added those together - The FSA tables list them separately under their respective banking licenses
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Old_GitOld_Git Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    I phoned Barclay's last week .They told me they couldn't discuss my account with me as I didn't pass there security test .I asked what information they required they wouldn't tell me as I didn't pass the test .
    I asked to be put through to the local branch ,they couldn't even spell the name of the Town.
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
    1.4K Posts
    If you add Santander Cards UK Ltd's 16324 banking complaints to Santander UK plc's 165,052 banking complaints you get 181,376

Santander UK Plc's listing includes Santander Cards Ltd , but not Santander Cards UK Ltd or Santander Consumer Credit Services Ltd - these both provide credit card banking products
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS