ESA medical - pleasantly surprised!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
8 replies 1.2K views
ShockingPinkShockingPink Forumite
1.2K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
Had my ESA medical today - first face to face dealings with DWP since my DLA appeal 9 years ago (I've been working up till 7 months ago, but have finally bowed to the inevitable).

Anyway - I had a *real* doctor. He was very nice indeed; asked me general questions about how my condition (RA) affects me, asked a few questions about mobility and help I need at home. He then examined my hands and asked me to raise my arms. Then he said it was pointless putting me through any further tests, as I was obviously severely affected. I'll get my letter in a couple of weeks, but - and he shouldn't tell me this - he said I'll definitely stay in the benefit.

I expressed my surprise and relief, and told him I'd heard many horror stories. He then talked about how incapacity benefit was flawed; many people stayed in it for too long, but it wasn't their fault - it was the system's. He also said he thinks ESA has gone too far the other way.

I was in his office for about ten minutes.

To say I'm amazed would be an understatement!
C'est le ton qui fait la chanson

Replies

• SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad it well for you, nice to hear a positive story
  • A good lesson - don't listen to scaremongering!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Markoo_2Markoo_2 Forumite
    88 Posts
    when you say a real doctor what do you mean? was this not done by atos?
  • daskadaska Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Markoo wrote: »

:rotfl:

I had a 'real' doctor as well, he was the one who lied so badly that he didn't spot when he contradicted himself. e.g. "said she wouldn't work even if she could" v. "is currently working for 2 hours a week". Personally I subscribe to the view that the only doctors prepared to work for ATOS are those who won't be tolerated working elsewhere.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • Markoo wrote: »

I mean a doctor, rather than another "health professional". And I do know about lying doctors; the reason I had to appeal my DLA years ago was because the doctor lied. This time,it see
    s I got a decent one. I'm not saying anyone else will.
    C'est le ton qui fait la chanson
  • KxMxKxMx Forumite
    9.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep like the "dr" that ignored my continence issues (despire diagnosis, meds, info on form and our whole discussion about it) and who witnessed me as fine on stairs, when the center is quite flat without a single step.

OP, it really is good to hear a good outcome :)
  • Thanks for sharing your positive experience. Often we hear about the negative experiences and when I read them I get quite worried. It's good to hear that some people have good experiences and that not all ATOS end up writing a report that doesn't resemble the person in front of them.
  • there are some good eggs that do these interviews. i got one for my dla medical, he didnt push when he knew id reached my limit and even offerred helpful advice. he then picked up my post for me and showed himself out. i may have turned blue when he asked me to walk though so he sat me back down really fast.

i got an it indefinitly HRM and MRc
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

PCR tests to end for fully vaccinated

Travellers returning to England in Oct

MSE News

Free Homebuilding & Renovating Show tix

London, Harrogate & Shepton Mallet

MSE Deals