Avoid Plusnet/BT at all costs!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
11 replies 971 views
wigglebeenawigglebeena Forumite
2K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Anybody else finding Plusnet/BT absolutely worthless and useless? We now have dial-up speeds on what is supposed to be a broadband service. This has been going on for a couple of months: it doesn't matter how often it is reported, the problem gets 'escalated' then we are told it is 'resolved'.

Except it carries on exactly the same.

If I had cable access in this area, I would be so outta this deal.

NOTE: my BF, the techie better half of us, advises on reading this that the problem is actually more technical than that, and involves the internet backbone of this country being crippled by BT's rubbish hardware.

Except he didn't say 'rubbish'.

Seriously, folks - Plusnet are the worst. Avoid.

Replies

• If they've escalated & its got resolved on the faults side then maybe it might be something at your end? Or it could be something to do with the contention ratio of plusnet on your local exchange?

Just some ideas! :)
  • I've been with Plusnet for around 5 years now.

Yes, I have has issues, not always their fault though, but they have been resolved successfully.

I was placed on MaxADSL when I moved house last October and speeds do drop at peak times, but on the whole I'm satisfied with their service.

Try raising your issues in the Community Support section of their forums. Some of the Plusnet support guys in there can be very helpful and you might get some resolve.
    Dave. :wave:
  • I've been with Plusnet for around 5 years now.

Yes, I have has issues, not always their fault though, but they have been resolved successfully.

I was placed on MaxADSL when I moved house last October and speeds do drop at peak times, but on the whole I'm satisfied with their service.

Try raising your issues in the Community Support section of their forums. Some of the Plusnet support guys in there can be very helpful and you might get some resolve.

Can only ditto above. I'm with them as well - have been for about 9 years (Force 9 before).
    Dodgy patch in the summer, but on the whole excellent for me.
    The forums are a good place as they have loads of techie staff reading them and often reply there.
  • I was with Plusnet for approx 4-5 years and they have been dreadful for about the last 18 months or so and approx 3 months ago I felt it was time to vote with my feet so I jumped ship and have now been with a new ISP since.

You just need to spend a short time in their forums and you will see the number of people dissatisfied with them - there are a lot of VERY unhappy campers.

There is even now a site for people who have moved on from plusnet to swap experiences and experiences of their new ISP's :rotfl: :rotfl:

Sad really - in the early days the service was second to non.

Time to move on I'd suggest
    Hate and I do mean Hate my apple Mac Computer - wish I'd never bought the thing
    Do little and often
    Please stop using the word "of" when you actually mean "have" - it's damned annoying :mad:
  • GarethaGaretha Forumite
    981 Posts
    I was with BT, then E7 now Plus
    I had no issues with BT other than price at the time.
    E7 was a disaster

Plus has been fine - and now they have taken over by BT we should have the best sevice possible.
  • normanmark wrote:
    If they've escalated & its got resolved on the faults side then maybe it might be something at your end? Or it could be something to do with the contention ratio of plusnet on your local exchange?

Just some ideas! :)

Apparently not the contention ratio. Plusnet/BT advise there is an 'instability' on the line which causes the Max-DSL service to have hair-trigger reactions to such things as wind, rain, Christmas lights (not making this up), radios, street lights, you name it. Apparently, - allegedly - NOT caused by an actual 'fault' on the line. Apparently. Don't know if they've actually looked, or anything like that.

This basically means that within an hour (depending on the amount of times our router disconnects) our speed can be cut back almost to dial-up speeds and it then takes THREE DAYS at least of a constant connection for the Max-DSL service to increase the line speed. Sadly because the problem is as yet undiagnosed we have as much chance of a 3-day line stability as we do of winning the lottery.
  • Christmas lights, as stupid as it sounds, could affect it, anything with an electrical charge in it could affect the signal.

Also you said your router disconnects, are you 110% sure its not faulty equipment? Might be worthing trying that out on a friends ADSL service just to see if its not that?
  • The nature of the problem is not really the issue here, it is the competence of the ISP to deal with problems when they arise as they inevitably do. It is called customer support - two words which do not appear to be in the dictionary according to PLusNet.

Customer service is the key issue with any ISP - and at best Plusnet's laughably called support service is unreliable and at worst dire (as is my experience). ISPs live or die by their customer service and someone should put Plusnet out of its missery, or rather Plusnet customers out of thier misery
    'A Man Who Knows The Price Of Everything Knows The Value of Nothing' Oscar Wilde
  • So, latest developments, kids:

i) Plusnet are censoring criticism of their services on their discussion boards. My OH has had a heavy-handed warning that if he doesn't stop being 'negative' and 'not constructive' and a 'troll', (i.e. making jokes about Plusnet and how rubbish the service is) he'll be banned from the boards. He's not the only one. One other person who experienced this asked the moderator to point to any specific post of his that was offensive. The moderator failed to do so.

Criticising Plusnet, when you are receiving absolutely XXXX service from them, is apparently 'not constructive'.

Plusnet deny censorship on the grounds that moderators are volunteers and 'not staff'. What I'd like to know is if these eager-beaver moderators receive a discount or have their fees rebated by Plusnet. I would really like to know that.

ii) After a lengthy silence, Plusnet have admitted they are carrying out 'traffic-shaping' experiments. At long last.

iii) Plusnet have blamed problems in service on 30% of users inconsiderately using their full gigabyte allowance under the terms of their contracts. The XXXXs. Obviously, when basing a service on average usage, an ISP shouldn't be expected to provide service for those inhabiting the left-hand asymptote of the curve. Bloody cheek. Blimmin' users.

Conclusion: time to switch to Zen, who are allegedly far superior.
  • smcaulsmcaul Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Conclusion: time to switch to Zen, who are allegedly far superior.

Nothing allegedly about it, I switched from PN to Zen about 8 months ago, best move I have made - far, far superior, in fact so much so that the 2 are not even in the same league.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals