Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

March 2011 Grocery Challenge - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

March 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 February 2011 at 12:01AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.5K replies 167.4K views

Replies

• KitchenbunnyKitchenbunny Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great, a new thread started and a positive vibe to the beginning of March. Here's to lots of bargains, kept budgets and lots of new recipes and support. I'm going to do my best to keep up with this one this time and try to meet my budget goal. Thanks for starting the thread.

So, looking at my mealplan for the coming week, I need to buy:

Mushrooms, Potatoes, Onions, Plain Flour and Cooking Marge (something like Cookeen) those are the only things I need for the actual main meals. Additional items include:

Cola x 2 ltr bottle (guests and mixers)
    Cola x 6 cans (DH work)
    Apples
    Bananas
    Yoghurts
    Orange Juice 4 x 1ltr cartons
    Milk x 1 pint
    Mixed dried fruit x 500g
    Caster Sugar x 1kg

I think that's all we actually need. I'm not sure whether I'll buy anything else, as if I do see a bargain that I can work into future weeks then I will. I've posted my mealplan for the coming week on the mealplan thread, but here's a quick run down:

Tonight - chicken salad
    Tues - Spicy Sausage Pasties with salad or HM wedges
    Weds - Fajitas
    Thurs - Chicken curry
    Fri - Chilli con carne with sauteed potatoes
    Sat - Ribs & Rice
    Sun - Chicken & Ham Pie and Mash.

I'm going to be baking a batch of biscuits (probably Twinks) and a batch of rock buns for the cake tin. Everything else I have in the freezer so it won't be too difficult - I hope! Sorry for going on, but it helps me to write out what I need and what I could do with. :) Thanks for bearing with me.

That's all set for the first shop of the month - I think that'll be on Wednesday as I'm trying to avoid the shops tomorrow.

KB xx

• yay!!! new thread!!

well i lost track again last month :O so for this month can we have £150 :)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• My first challenge!

£150 for me please! After going through my bank statements with a fine tooth comb, I worked out I spent £290 last month on food! And that wasnt including toiletries and other bits (£140) and Starbucks (£61)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I have been very bad. I know you are supposed to take small amounts off each month, but Ive been so ridiculous it will be fairly easy to cut back. Starbucks has been divorced!

Having all your posts/hints/tips has really encouraged me to do this without feeling daunted, so lots and lots of love to you guys.

Will keep my signature updated with how I'm doing. :)
    LBM Sept 2014 :idea:

DFD June 2018, now Dec 2017

Total debt @ LBM: £25,529:eek: now [STRIKE]£17,951[/STRIKE] £16,648
  • jackieglasgowjackieglasgow Forumite
    9.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    First spend of the month at Mr T £57.55 with 3 for 2's etc, and then used £9.50 in vouchers, I paid £38.33 :j I am determined to start as I mean to go on this month.

Thanks for the new fred ladies. :)
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • OK after Febs disaster it is time to sort myself out a bit.

A bit more of a practical budget for March of £120.

Fingers crossed x
    GC 2011
    Jan £43.45/£40.00 Feb £55.14/£55.00 Mar £64.88/£120
    I MUST KEEP POSITIVE!!
    :A Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted (John Lennon) :A

• Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • allie23allie23 Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All

I have done the grocery challenge a few times and it has always been a real inspiration but since going back to work full time about two years ago I have got out of the habit. I am hoping to resign from my job within the next few months and really need to start watching the pennies again. Please put me down for £250 for March Mrs M.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Save £12k in 2020 - Challenger No 4 - £24,4516/£35,000
    July Grocery Challenge £151.63/£200
  • mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the new thread, will draw a line under last month and be more positive this month. I AM going to be in budget this month

will start my march sig tomorrow but hoping for no spends till the weekend.
    NSD today.

hm shepherds pie for tea and just remembered need to get the mb on and start the rolls for tomorrows pack ups
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • edited 28 February 2011 at 7:19PM
    jumblejackjumblejack Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 February 2011 at 7:19PM
    Ooo. Please can I be included?

I posted on another forum this Sunday as I was excited to actually save receipts for the week and total them. It was for 8 days (Sunday to Sunday) and there are 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 growing boys. It came to £57.45 but that included a £6 gift so that doesn't really count. I have started a book which has a weeks receipts added to a page. As I buy in bulk as opportunities arise (I have decided to call this 'Sh-opportunist' buying) it has been hard to figure out what my weekly/monthly average is.
    This will now change!!!
    I didn't know this thread was here, yay!!!

My self imposed challenge this week is to meal plan with my pantry/freezer items that need using up. I intend to significantly reduce it this week.

My goal is £200 for the month for all 4 of us-2 adults, 2 kids and also 7 chickens, which I intend to smash!!

I can't find how to highlight it in red, sorry!
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • jackieglasgowjackieglasgow Forumite
    9.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    At the top of the reply box, where you type your message, there is an A with a black line under it and a small arrow beside it. Highlight the text you want to change then click on the small arrow and select the red from the choice of colours. :)
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • My first challenge! Please can i be included? I'm really ona budget this month so will try and stick to £50 this month!